"Search terms must contain at least 3 characters" - can that restriction be lifted?
Thread poster: Nesrin
Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:20
English to Arabic
+ ...
Apr 29, 2008

I was just searching for a 2-letter acronym on the Proz Term search, when I got the message:

"Error: Search terms must contain at least 3 characters"

I wonder if that restriction can be lifted, as sometimes a search for a 2-letter term can be quite valid.

After all, we ARE allowed to ask for 2-letter words on Kudoz, and to add them to the glossaries, so why shouldn't we be allowed to search for them too?

Thanks

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
Local time: 05:20
English to German
+ ...
Fully agree Apr 29, 2008

I had the same problem just recently.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Absolutely Apr 29, 2008

My source language (Italian) uses a lot of abbreviations and acronyms and this is a major headache.
I think I understand the reason for the restriction but, if it were possible to restrict 2 character term searches to "whole words only", surely this would overcome the problem.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Absolutely Apr 29, 2008

I fully agree with this suggestion, this restriction has bothered me several times in the past.

Marek Daroszewski (MrMarDar)
Marek Daroszewski (MrMarDar)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
A way out Apr 29, 2008

I find the Proz search engine really annoying (national characters not recognized, terms not found, restrictions like the one you mentioned, etc.) and most of the time use google to check if the term I am looking for has been answered.

Try entering the following in Google search box:

AB site:proz.com "to Language"

where
AB is the abbreviation, and
Language is the target / source language you are interested in (mind the quotes)
site:proz.c
... See more
I find the Proz search engine really annoying (national characters not recognized, terms not found, restrictions like the one you mentioned, etc.) and most of the time use google to check if the term I am looking for has been answered.

Try entering the following in Google search box:

AB site:proz.com "to Language"

where
AB is the abbreviation, and
Language is the target / source language you are interested in (mind the quotes)
site:proz.com limits google to search only proz.com pages

HTH
Marek
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
agreed Apr 29, 2008

and I think this has already been requested in the past, I remember having this discussion before

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
also agree Apr 29, 2008

the restriction is a total pain, although I also understand the reasoning. But Russell's get-round ought to keep it manageable.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
including spaces would help Apr 29, 2008

I mean it would help if we could write let's say "EU[space]" and it would count as 3 characters, some search engines give this option.

Best Regards
Stanislaw

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 00:20
SITE STAFF
Two characters now permitted Apr 29, 2008

Hello all,

The term search will now accept two characters-- be sure to choose the "whole words" option. Thanks for bringing this up again.

Best regards,

Jared

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great ..but Apr 29, 2008

Thanks Jared!

I just tried it out, and it appeared to be working, but I tried terms which I know were asked before,
e.g EC, kr, LV as asked here:
See more
Thanks Jared!

I just tried it out, and it appeared to be working, but I tried terms which I know were asked before,
e.g EC, kr, LV as asked here:
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/english/livestock_animal_husbandry/2553745-ec_additives.html
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/german_to_english/medical_general/2554159-kr.html
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/english_to_german/automotive_cars_trucks/2558078-lv.html

The KOG, KudoZ archive and Personal glossaries came up with no hits, while the Glosspost search results listed all results in which the 2 letters appeared as part of a word (eg. "Technical" for "EC")
Am I doing something wrong?
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 00:20
SITE STAFF
My mistake-- spoke too soon Apr 30, 2008

Hi all,

First, my apologies for rushing to release this-- Nesrin, you are correct, this is not yet working properly. We are working on fixing this and expanding the two character search character capabilities. For the time being, a temporary solution for this kind of search would be the method Marek mentions above; e.g. a Google search with the following format: "EU site:www.proz.com/kudoz". Sorry for any confusion caused, and thanks everyone for your patience.

Best re
... See more
Hi all,

First, my apologies for rushing to release this-- Nesrin, you are correct, this is not yet working properly. We are working on fixing this and expanding the two character search character capabilities. For the time being, a temporary solution for this kind of search would be the method Marek mentions above; e.g. a Google search with the following format: "EU site:www.proz.com/kudoz". Sorry for any confusion caused, and thanks everyone for your patience.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Search terms must contain at least 3 characters" - can that restriction be lifted?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »