Suggestion: option to submit KudoZ comments rather than answers
Thread poster: Rachel Vanarsdall
Rachel Vanarsdall
Rachel Vanarsdall  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:22
Member (2004)
French to English
May 1, 2003

I translate French-English, but I read the English-French questions as well. Very rarely do I post an actual \"answer\" under E-F. Sometimes I can see that the people offering answers are on the right track, but they need a little English-to-English help, or perhaps a reference specific to US English, to help them find the best answer. So instead of adding a comment along with a \"Neutral\" or \"Disagree\" grade I submit an \"answer\" which is really just intended to point the E-F translators i... See more
I translate French-English, but I read the English-French questions as well. Very rarely do I post an actual \"answer\" under E-F. Sometimes I can see that the people offering answers are on the right track, but they need a little English-to-English help, or perhaps a reference specific to US English, to help them find the best answer. So instead of adding a comment along with a \"Neutral\" or \"Disagree\" grade I submit an \"answer\" which is really just intended to point the E-F translators in the right direction. I suppose I could submit this under \"request more info from asker\" but if you post as an answer it\'s easier to go back if you need to add an explanation or answer a question addressed to you by another answerer.

As the Kudoz system exists now, it\'s difficult to submit a question or comment about an answer without entering it as a grade (unless you post a note under an answer you have already given). I wish there was a way I could post what is merely intended to be a helpful reference and receive comments/questions without their having to be agrees, disagrees or neutrals. I think something like this could make Kudoz a better forum for team work and dialogue. Sometimes sniping is the closest thing to \"dialogue\" on the Kudoz pages!

By the way, my habit of offering \"not an answer\" answers also makes me leery of the \"reliability ratio\" often mentioned in the forums.

[ This Message was edited by: RachelV on 2003-05-01 15:32]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Option to submit a KudoZ *comment*? May 1, 2003

I should point out that if you want to comment about an answer (instead of the term in question), without agreeing or disagreeing, *nuetral* peer review is the way to do it. Your space is restricted, but with reason.

If your idea is to comment on the term or question in general, I would consider the proposal. Is this an accurate paraphrasal (and extension) of your suggestion?

----------------

There should be a way to submit KudoZ \"comments\" rather than
... See more
I should point out that if you want to comment about an answer (instead of the term in question), without agreeing or disagreeing, *nuetral* peer review is the way to do it. Your space is restricted, but with reason.

If your idea is to comment on the term or question in general, I would consider the proposal. Is this an accurate paraphrasal (and extension) of your suggestion?

----------------

There should be a way to submit KudoZ \"comments\" rather than answers. The characteristics of a comment would be that:

- It can not be agreed/disagreed with (only nuetral comments)

- It can not be graded by the asker

- It would not be connected to reliability ratio

----------------

Collapse

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:22
Italian to English
+ ...
"neutral" pretty much equals "disagree" May 1, 2003

Hi Rachel,

I haven\'t been on the site long but have noticed how the \"neutral\" response option tends often (at least in my language pairs FR/IT>EN) to be a gentle way of disagreeing with the answerer. I\'ve seen several \"Well that\'s just your opinion\" retaliations to \"neutral\" comments.

IMO it would be great to have \"neutral\" back where it belongs - as \"neutral\" and not \"disagree\".

As regards a \"comment only\" answer as outlined
... See more
Hi Rachel,

I haven\'t been on the site long but have noticed how the \"neutral\" response option tends often (at least in my language pairs FR/IT>EN) to be a gentle way of disagreeing with the answerer. I\'ve seen several \"Well that\'s just your opinion\" retaliations to \"neutral\" comments.

IMO it would be great to have \"neutral\" back where it belongs - as \"neutral\" and not \"disagree\".

As regards a \"comment only\" answer as outlined by Henry: good idea, but what happens when the comment is the most valuable piece of information on the page to the asker and the comment can\'t be graded? What if the comment is not so great and can\'t be disagreed with? Other (incorrect?) answers might end up in the glossary.

Personally I\'d find the chance to re-grade (agree/neutral/dis.) questions and add/revise comments to answers more valuable.

Enjoy your Thursday.

Best,

Amy

[ This Message was edited by: awilliams on 2003-05-01 16:09]

[ This Message was edited by: awilliams on 2003-05-01 16:12]
Collapse

Rachel Vanarsdall
Member (2004)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
"comments" instead of answers May 1, 2003

Is this an accurate paraphrasal (and extension) of your suggestion?

----------------

There should be a way to submit KudoZ \"comments\" rather than answers. The characteristics of a comment would be that:

----------------

Sounds about right. I\'m curious to hear what oth
... See more
Is this an accurate paraphrasal (and extension) of your suggestion?

----------------

----------------

Sounds about right. I\'m curious to hear what other people think? I realize you probably don\'t want the pages filling up with endless comments, but a space for non-competitive dialogue would be helpful.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:22
English to German
+ ...
I sometime just add an "Additional Comment"... May 1, 2003

...using this (=\"Additional Comment\") as the answer and pointing out that I just want to add information and don\'t want the points.

Simple, really...

Ralf

Rachel Vanarsdall
Member (2004)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
question May 1, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-05-01 17:51, Lemster wrote:

...using this (=\"Additional Comment\") as the answer and pointing out that I just want to add information and don\'t want the points.

Simple, really...

Ralf

Do you mean that you post \"additional comment\" as your answer and put your comment in the space normally used to explain the answer? Or is there an \"... See more
Quote:

Simple, really...

Ralf

Do you mean that you post \"additional comment\" as your answer and put your comment in the space normally used to explain the answer? Or is there an \"additional comment\" option I\'m not seeing?

Thanks

Rachel ▲ Collapse

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
I sometime just add an "Not for grading"... May 1, 2003

...using this (=\"Not for grading \") as the answer and pointing out that I just want to add information and don\'t want the points.

Very simple, the Ralf’s method

Geneviève

Dipl.-Kfm. Bernhard Aicher MBA
Dipl.-Kfm. Bernhard Aicher MBA  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
points May 2, 2003

Quote:

Simple, really...

Ralf

Last time I used Ralf\'s method to support the proposal of a colleague I got the points I did not want ... See more
Quote:

Simple, really...

Ralf

Last time I used Ralf\'s method to support the proposal of a colleague I got the points I did not want

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/407677Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Exactly May 2, 2003

Quote:

Do you mean that you post \"additional comment\" as your answer and put your comment in the space normally used to explain the answer?

That\'s exactly what I do - sometimes (but very rarely) this has the \"side effect\" described by Bernhard...

Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion: option to submit KudoZ comments rather than answers

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »