Search glossaries feature: \"enter\" key option as well as clicking on \"search terms\" button (K)
Thread poster: xxxtazdog
xxxtazdog
Spain
Local time: 01:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 4, 2003

I use the \"search glossaries\" feature a lot, and have noticed that when I type a new term in the \"term or phrase\" box and then hit \"Enter\" (the way I usually do in Google, for example), nothing happens (i.e., no search is carried out). The only way to get the search going is to click on the \"search term\" button.

This is really a minor thing, but since I don\'t always remember to click on this button right off the bat, it\'s annoyed me for some time (am I the only one?). I don\'t know how difficult this would be to implement, but if it\'s at all possible, it would make my life a tiny bit easier if hitting the \"enter\" key would get the search going.

Thanks

Cindy

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-03 18:11]

Direct link Reply with quote

Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
was implemented, then was deactivated May 4, 2003

Cindy,

I too have requested that feature many months ago, as have others. It was implemented a few months back but it disappeared after the conversion to the new design. I\'d also like it back.

Marcus

mora339
Local time: 08:20
Japanese to English
+ ...
an alternative May 5, 2003

Hi Cindy,

I don\'t really like an idea of relying on mouse either because it slows you down. I used to hit enter on many occasion to do searches or confirm, submit, etc., but I have experienced in the same way.

Alternatively I started to hit tab to move around objects then space on what you wanted, to confirm.

Sometimes you need to hit tab for multiple times until you reach to the search button (like this glos-search page you\'d have to hit it four times until you reach \"search\") but if you used to it, I like this way better because you have more control of what you\'re doing and also it\'s more universal over many different sites.

Probably you already knew it and decided not to use, but for your thought, in case you didn\'t.

Deborah Shannon  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
Also, what about previous request to 'remember' language pair? May 5, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-05-04 21:49, marcushm wrote:

It was implemented a few months back but it disappeared after the conversion to the new design. I\'d also like it back.

Marcus

Good suggestion Cindy.

I also notice that when I visit the new Net search page, it\'s pre-set with my language pair (or maybe the last pair used for a search, I\'m not sure as I only work in one pair).

If it can be done there, why not also on the Glossary search page?

I want to search in the minimum number of steps, so cutting out the compulsory mouse-click AND the dropdown list fiddling would be doubly appreciated!

xxxjmf  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree and Back button May 6, 2003

I too have noticed this. Also, the back button used to take you right back to the search page with your language pair still intact, not for some reason the page \"is no longer available\" and you have to reset your languages and reenter the term. I like to look at as many options as possible if several appear that might fit my context and in order to do so, I have to start over to view each relevant question.

mora339
Local time: 08:20
Japanese to English
+ ...
Back button? May 7, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-05-06 17:31, jmf wrote:

Also, the back button used to take you right back to the search page with your language pair still intact, not for some reason the page \"is no longer available\" and you have to reset your languages and reenter the term.

Maybe I\'m not understanding correctly but I don\'t have a problem of going back to the previous pages by hitting a back button yet. It still works fine for me.

I\'m not a computer pro or anything so I don\'t want to sound arrogant, but if I know about the problem more specifically then I would like to see if the same problem occurs with me or not.

Thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Search glossaries feature: \"enter\" key option as well as clicking on \"search terms\" button (K)

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search