Add number of answers given for KudoZ on profile page (D)
Thread poster: Rick Henry
Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:07
Italian to English
+ ...
May 8, 2003

I don\'t know if this has been suggested before, but in addition the \"Number of answers given\" on a users kudoz page (through their profile), is it possible to also add \"Number of answers selected\"?

Minor, I know, but it would be nice to see a side-by-side comparison.

R.

==

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-03 18:05]

Carlos Moreno
Carlos Moreno  Identity Verified
Colombia
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree! May 8, 2003

Good point, and not difficult for the site programmers. It would really show at a glance who has experience and knowledge. Agree with Rick.

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Really? May 8, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-05-08 16:26, CHMoreno wrote:

It would really show at a glance who has experience and knowledge.

You\'re assuming the person choosing the answer knows enough to choose wisely. That is rarely the case.

More often than not, perfectly good translations are ignored in favor of assigning the points to friends or to whoever answers first.

Same ... See more
Quote:

On 2003-05-08 16:26, CHMoreno wrote:

It would really show at a glance who has experience and knowledge.

You\'re assuming the person choosing the answer knows enough to choose wisely. That is rarely the case.

More often than not, perfectly good translations are ignored in favor of assigning the points to friends or to whoever answers first.

Same goes for peer grading. Doubtful that people who are direct competitors can be truly objective.

Incidentally, I stopped answering KudoZ questions three years ago.

[ This Message was edited by: Dyran on 2003-05-09 01:07] ▲ Collapse

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 20:07
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Why be so sceptic? May 8, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-05-08 17:26, Dyran wrote:

You\'re assuming the person chosing the answer knows enough to choose wisely. That is rarely the case.

Same goes for peer grading. Doubtful that people who are direct competitors can be truly objective.

... See more
Quote:

On 2003-05-08 17:26, Dyran wrote:

You\'re assuming the person chosing the answer knows enough to choose wisely. That is rarely the case.

My experience is not that pessimistic. Yes, there are cases when it seems that an asker chooses a wrong answer and your colleagues seem to ignore totally your perfect and professional reply, but these cases are rare.

In the long run, everyone gets what he or she deserves.

Your position implies that askers are mostly ... ok, stupid (let\'s call a spade a spade), your colleagues dream to support their team-mates, etc.

Disagree! Most of the people I meet in my pairs are pleasant and fair -- and most of askers choose wisely. And as for me, I feel other pros as colleagues who help, not as competitors.

Do I see proZ.com through rose-coloured glasses?.. ▲ Collapse

Fiona N�voa
Fiona N�voa
Portugal
Local time: 18:07
Member (2003)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
difficult to say May 8, 2003

Sometimes it\'s difficult to say who has the best translation due to the lack of text in the question and also I agree with Dyran - not always the best answer is selected.

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Through the looking glass May 8, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-05-08 17:42, Kirill wrote:

Do I see proZ.com through rose-coloured glasses?..

Yes, totally.

[ This Message was edited by: Dyran on 2003-05-08 20:00]

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
The eye of the beholder... May 8, 2003

Quote:

Most of the people I meet in my pairs are pleasant and fair -- and most of askers choose wisely. And as for me, I feel other pros as colleagues who help, not as competitors.

Agree.

I feel I have authority to speak because I ask and answer questions. I am not a passive player in the lookout for mistakes and negative poin... See more
Quote:

Most of the people I meet in my pairs are pleasant and fair -- and most of askers choose wisely. And as for me, I feel other pros as colleagues who help, not as competitors.

Agree.

I feel I have authority to speak because I ask and answer questions. I am not a passive player in the lookout for mistakes and negative points.

Most answerers are both professional and kind.

There are a few who are not that professional or not that educated in their relation with their colleagues. And a small (very small) group made up of people who are neither professional nor kind. It does not take very long to realize who is who.

With issues to be adjusted just like in other sites, ProZ is a great tool and community. I am a member of two very very important lists and there are unethical individuals there as well. One may also find very junior professionals there (even students, why not?) and nobody ever says anything about those lists.

What is the problem with ProZ.com? Why are there people who feel with the right to question it constantly? Are the other sites perfect or flawless?

Constructive criticism should be more than welcome. Attacks and mere whinning should not be.

Aurora

[ This Message was edited by: amh on 2003-05-08 21:08] ▲ Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:07
Dutch to English
+ ...
Whinning May 8, 2003

Aurora wrote:

Constructive criticism should be more than welcome. Attacks and mere whinning should not be.

But it is a forum and as such we are allowed to let off steam. Dyran is entitled to have her viewpoint (as the rest of us do) and also to air it if someone is prepared to listen. I don\'t think she was whinning nor comparing it to other sites, just giving her viewpoint. I have never met her and this is not a case of siding with friends.

... See more
Aurora wrote:

But it is a forum and as such we are allowed to let off steam. Dyran is entitled to have her viewpoint (as the rest of us do) and also to air it if someone is prepared to listen. I don\'t think she was whinning nor comparing it to other sites, just giving her viewpoint. I have never met her and this is not a case of siding with friends.

Just because we have a system that works in 90% of cases (my opinion) does not mean that we should praise it and be done. Lets improve it! And give our negative opinions if that is the opinion we have and feel like giving!
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
An ongoing issue in all the fora.... May 8, 2003

Marijke,

I am not referring to anybody in particular.

It is not the first time that the site is being critized. Sometimes, criticism is more than justified (constructive criticism).

I, myself, complained yesterday because a proposal of mine had neither been paid attention to or answered. I think (and shared this with the Spanish Forum community) that paying no attention to proposals/suggesions is very discouraging.

<
... See more
Marijke,

I am not referring to anybody in particular.

It is not the first time that the site is being critized. Sometimes, criticism is more than justified (constructive criticism).

I, myself, complained yesterday because a proposal of mine had neither been paid attention to or answered. I think (and shared this with the Spanish Forum community) that paying no attention to proposals/suggesions is very discouraging.

The glossary has obvious mistakes that need to be corrected ASAP. The translation of the site is not good.... But what about the positive part of the story?

Nobody can blame me for thinking that the site is 99% effective. Don´t I have the right to say ProZ is a GREAT TOOL if I think so after having been using it for three years? Nobody is selling me the site. I have bought it and sold it to others and will continue doing so.

Is it about percentages? OK, do not agree with me that ProZ is 99% fine... but allow me not to agree that the site is 99% ineffective as some people seem to to suggest.

This is not the first time that the site is being questioned / put on the spotlight. And it will not be the last time, I am sure, for reasons I cannot specify ...

Regards, Aurora

[ This Message was edited by: amh on 2003-05-08 23:55]
Collapse

Rick Henry
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Was this really necessary? May 9, 2003

Sigh. I don\'t see how this contributes AT ALL to the thread. Rather mean-spirited, in my opinion.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2003-05-08 19:57, Dyran wrote:

Quote:

Yes, totally.

[ This Message... See more
Sigh. I don\'t see how this contributes AT ALL to the thread. Rather mean-spirited, in my opinion.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2003-05-08 19:57, Dyran wrote:

Quote:

Yes, totally.

[ This Message was edited by: Dyran on 2003-05-08 20:00]

Collapse

Rachel Vanarsdall
Rachel Vanarsdall  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
French to English
don't like that idea May 9, 2003

I don\'t like the idea of the \"reliability ratio.\" What if you give an identical answer to the one selected, but yours is posted one minute later? Is your answer wrong? Many times there are several perfectly valid answers for the asker to choose from - the asker can then pick the most appropriate one for their situation, but the other answers are not necessarily wrong.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 20:07
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Fully agree with Rachel May 9, 2003

I answer questions not in order to hunt for points (I\'m long since out of that kindergarten age), but to offer help where (to my humble judgment) I can. But the fact is, very often first, syllable better or altogether wrong answers are chosen, maybe it levels out if your points go into thousands, but mine doesn\'t, and if in my situation the reliability percentage would be counted, I would turn out to be a village idiot
[addsig]

Rick Henry
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not suggesting a reliability ratio... May 10, 2003

I\'m aware of the past discussions regarding the ¨reliability ratio¨. That wasn\'t really what I was suggesting. All I was suggesting was a total number on each individual\'s profile page (well, each kudoz history page, actually). In addition to the number of answers given, I just wanted to the see number of answers chosen. It could be argued that those numbers could be used to come up with some sort of reliability ratio, but that\'s not really what I was asking.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Add number of answers given for KudoZ on profile page (D)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »