ARE WE HELPING THE BIDDERS TO APPROVE THEIR TESTS?
Thread poster: Robert INGLEDEW
Robert INGLEDEW
Robert INGLEDEW  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 16, 2002

Today a number of questions have been posted two or three times by different askers. All have to do with telecommunications, and it happens to be that there is a translation bid at Proz on that subject.

By the questions asked, I draw the conclusion that the askers have no experience whatsoever in telecommunications translations.

I feel that something should be done to stop unexperienced translators offering unusually low rates (maybe 2 or 3 cents per word, or less) who comp
... See more
Today a number of questions have been posted two or three times by different askers. All have to do with telecommunications, and it happens to be that there is a translation bid at Proz on that subject.

By the questions asked, I draw the conclusion that the askers have no experience whatsoever in telecommunications translations.

I feel that something should be done to stop unexperienced translators offering unusually low rates (maybe 2 or 3 cents per word, or less) who compete unloyaly with serious people, and who then fill the Proz site with questions that they are unable to answer by themselves.

Robert Ingledew
Collapse

Teresa Duran-Sanchez
Teresa Duran-Sanchez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:41
German to Spanish
+ ...
test should appear in the job offer Feb 21, 2002

Somebody suggested that translation tests should always be posted with the job ad, so that we can all see it and also to guarantee that the supposedly \"employer\" is not trying to get the text translated for free by sending different portions to each bidder.

If we all see how the test looks like we will be able to spot immediately if somebody is trying to get the pros to solve the difficulties in terminology.

I was even going to suggest that bids shoul
... See more
Somebody suggested that translation tests should always be posted with the job ad, so that we can all see it and also to guarantee that the supposedly \"employer\" is not trying to get the text translated for free by sending different portions to each bidder.

If we all see how the test looks like we will be able to spot immediately if somebody is trying to get the pros to solve the difficulties in terminology.

I was even going to suggest that bids should be seen by everybody to spot those who sell themselves shamefully cheap without even a qualification to translate, but

1. for privacy reasons it´s not a good idea

2. there have been cases of people copying others´ CVs and I´m positive this chance would also be used to copy the best bids!

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ARE WE HELPING THE BIDDERS TO APPROVE THEIR TESTS?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »