KudoZ - are we helping bidders to pass their tests? (staff: 'implemented "this is from a test"')
Thread poster: Robert INGLEDEW
Robert INGLEDEW
Robert INGLEDEW  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 16, 2002

Today a number of questions have been posted two or three times by different askers. All have to do with telecommunications, and it happens to be that there is a translation bid at Proz on that subject.

By the questions asked, I draw the conclusion that the askers have no experience whatsoever in telecommunications translations.

I feel that something should be done to stop unexperienced translators offering unusually low rates (maybe 2 or 3 cents per word, or less) wh
... See more
Today a number of questions have been posted two or three times by different askers. All have to do with telecommunications, and it happens to be that there is a translation bid at Proz on that subject.

By the questions asked, I draw the conclusion that the askers have no experience whatsoever in telecommunications translations.

I feel that something should be done to stop unexperienced translators offering unusually low rates (maybe 2 or 3 cents per word, or less) who compete unloyaly with serious people, and who then fill the Proz site with questions that they are unable to answer by themselves.

Robert Ingledew
Collapse

Andrea Bullrich
Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
I agree that something should be done Jan 16, 2002

I agree wholeheartedly. As a matter of fact, site abuse has become so blatant that just yesterday I asked for a separate site abuse forum (see my posting under ProZ as a translator cooperative). I encourage everybody to join this discussion so we can agree on common action.

Thanks, Robert, for bringing it up here too.

Andrea

BelkisDV
BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
What to do? Jan 17, 2002

Today I was especially shocked by two askers (Monica and Rosa) who consecutively asked 15 and 18 questions respectively in the subjects of Law/Patents and Tech/Engineering in the Easy category. I voiced my opinion in the case of Rosa, in the case of Monica whose questions appeared 5 minutes later I remained silent for the simple reason that I realize a lot of people don\'t know what is going on and may misunderstand my intentions. Tonight I signed on again and someone was asking for the translat... See more
Today I was especially shocked by two askers (Monica and Rosa) who consecutively asked 15 and 18 questions respectively in the subjects of Law/Patents and Tech/Engineering in the Easy category. I voiced my opinion in the case of Rosa, in the case of Monica whose questions appeared 5 minutes later I remained silent for the simple reason that I realize a lot of people don\'t know what is going on and may misunderstand my intentions. Tonight I signed on again and someone was asking for the translation of an entire paragraph. I told the asker we didn\'t translate entire paragraphs only to have another translator do it 3 mins. later.

I see how frustrating this could get if we don\'t all come to an understanding. We need to communicate more and quickly in this case. The sooner we stop site abuse the better it will be for everyone. Granted we can\'t do police work, that\'s why we have to agree to at least be more vigilant and cautious. I know not everyone will follow, I would like to ask those people: \"How would you feel if you knew you have just provided 10 answers for a job that might have been yours?\" It bites, doesn\'t it?
Collapse

Teresa Duran-Sanchez
Teresa Duran-Sanchez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:03
German to Spanish
+ ...
I have seen the same outrageous thing today Feb 21, 2002

... A certain Loreto sending dozens of questions on medical issues to the \"easy\" section, in very few minutes. I don\'t know how to squash questions, so I sent a message saying \"MORE THAN 10 QUESTIONS ON THE SAME SUBJECT IN A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME. Suspicious. Do you want us to do your job?\" I think this site should limit the questions a person can send in a day, and to take that person\'s e-mail into account to prevent them from posting over the limit. Otherwise Loreto will call herself \"Ma... See more
... A certain Loreto sending dozens of questions on medical issues to the \"easy\" section, in very few minutes. I don\'t know how to squash questions, so I sent a message saying \"MORE THAN 10 QUESTIONS ON THE SAME SUBJECT IN A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME. Suspicious. Do you want us to do your job?\" I think this site should limit the questions a person can send in a day, and to take that person\'s e-mail into account to prevent them from posting over the limit. Otherwise Loreto will call herself \"Maria\" or \"Telésfora\" or whatever she wants and carry on posting like a nutter.Collapse

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb. 20...the terms will go on (Celine Dion's music) Feb 21, 2002

Hello to all of you!

Today we had a similar problem. Questions regarding saffron\'s chemical composition and plant structure. \'Loreto\' flooded the site with questions.

Any suggestions on how to stop this type of behaviour?

Cheers,

JL

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-21 14:39 ]

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
German to English
+ ...
Yes, it is a serious problem Feb 21, 2002

Hi all,

This is a very serious problem. Unfortunately, I don\'t see any solution (short of eliminating KudoZ altogether ).

The problem is that, while many of us are professionals (who never bid on jobs we\'re not qualified for), there are many more out there who don\'t have this sense of professionalism. I am not even talking about low rates; the problem is caused by those that think that KudoZ gives them ca
... See more
Hi all,

This is a very serious problem. Unfortunately, I don\'t see any solution (short of eliminating KudoZ altogether ).

The problem is that, while many of us are professionals (who never bid on jobs we\'re not qualified for), there are many more out there who don\'t have this sense of professionalism. I am not even talking about low rates; the problem is caused by those that think that KudoZ gives them carte blanche to tackle any assignment under the sun - \"I\'m not qualified for this job, but I\'m sure I\'ll find some schmuck willing to answer my 50 questions!\" - yes, that\'s the attitude of these people. And as one of you pointed out here, you post a message advising the asker of the inappropriate nature of his/her question only to see another \"colleague\" jump in with both feet and provide a free translation of an entire paragraph. Anyone who does that should be removed from the site, IMHO.

These types of people have always been around; the only difference now is that something like KudoZ makes it even easier for them to defraud their clients and colleagues. Yes, it is fraud; telling your client that you\'re qualified for the job when, in fact, you\'re not is fraud.

Someone in a different forum thread suggested charging for KudoZ questions (similar to the bidding process), and I fully agree with that. You could either charge it to your PayPal account, etc. or use BrowniZ. BrowniZ are awarded for contributions to the ProZ community; by the same token, BrowniZ (or cash) should be taken away for KudoZ questions (because they are not contributions to the community - quite the opposite!).
Collapse

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Unless we stop helping abusers we will continue to do their jobs for free... Feb 24, 2002

... the same jobs these same people have taken away from our hands.

There\'s not much more to be said.

The only thing left here is to decide on what to do... and DO it!!, for Christ\'s sake.

SHALL WE? Go figure.

BSD

PS: Sometimes it is difficult to spot an abuser until they have already asked a dozen questions. It is only then that we realize...How to stop them from getting to effectively as
... See more
... the same jobs these same people have taken away from our hands.

There\'s not much more to be said.

The only thing left here is to decide on what to do... and DO it!!, for Christ\'s sake.

SHALL WE? Go figure.

BSD

PS: Sometimes it is difficult to spot an abuser until they have already asked a dozen questions. It is only then that we realize...How to stop them from getting to effectively ask a dozen questions?
Collapse

German to English
+ ...
Recent example Feb 24, 2002

It happened again today: a series of at least 20 Spanish-German questions. And, the last time I checked, all of these questions had been answered!!!!!

Again, the profile of the asker is barebones and lists German-Spanish as the only working language pair. However, all these questions were for Spanish-German (!!!).

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Implemented "this is from a test" disclosure, added rule Jun 7, 2005

Thanks, Robert. We added a checkbox for askers to disclose when they are asking a KudoZ question from a test, and a rule has been added that requires such disclosure. This information is displayed in the KudoZ page and anyone who objects to assisting with these may decline to answer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ - are we helping bidders to pass their tests? (staff: 'implemented "this is from a test"')

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »