Get rid of the annoying animations?
Thread poster: xxxUSER0059
xxxUSER0059  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:35
English to Finnish
+ ...
Sep 1, 2008

Does anyone else think that the animated advertisements on this site should be disposed of?

Whatever "Alchemy Publisher" is, I want nothing to do with it, after having had to kill its advertisements here over and over and over.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxJPW  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, but... Sep 1, 2008

...they probably generate a lot of money for proz.com!!

If you use FIREFOX as your browser, you can install a wee add-on called 'NoScript' which blocks all javascript, flash content, etc. so you can view the site as normal but it blocks all the 'annoying' adverts unless you specifically allow them.

Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
Local time: 09:35
English to German
+ ...
Use Firefox browser and install Adblock Plus Sep 1, 2008

What is "Alchemy Publisher"?

www.mozilla.org/firefox

Download Adblock Plus here: https://addons.mozilla.org

LB

Spanish to English
+ ...
There you are, Thor... Sep 1, 2008

...now you have a choice of two!

As for "What is Alchemy Publisher?" - I have no idea, the only way to find out is to click on the link. I can't though, mine's blocked already

Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Which link? Sep 1, 2008

John Paul Weir wrote:

...now you have a choice of two!

As for "What is Alchemy Publisher?" - I have no idea, the only way to find out is to click on the link. I can't though, mine's blocked already

Which link? Can't see one ...

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:35
English to German
+ ...
If you are using Internet Explorer Sep 1, 2008

Go to:

Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Multimedia > un-check: Play animations in web pages

HTH

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Flashblock for Firefox Sep 1, 2008

I have both Adblock and Flashblock as add-ons to my Firefox. Flashblock,to quote its own blurb, "replaces Flash objects with a button you can click on to view them." (Or not, of course if you don't want to view them.) With a combination of Adblock and Flashblock, I rarely have to see any of these pestilential things.
Download Flashblock from http://flashblock.mozdev.org/

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:35
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Firefox is ueber alles! Sep 1, 2008

Right, there's nothing like FF + AdBlock Plus + ImagesLikeOpera. No ads, no viruses. Enjoy!

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 04:35
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just curious... Sep 1, 2008

Do those options also block the animated user photos on ProZ? I don't want to lose Dancing Spiderman!

Spanish to English
+ ...
No Sep 1, 2008

The one I use (NoScript) still allows me to see the 'dancing spiderman', in any case it's not an advert as such.

Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
AdBlock Plus blocks ... Sep 2, 2008

... not only the animations but the entire ad as such. You don't see it at all (and not just on the ProZ site but globally, so to speak). That's why I'd never heard of or seen the "Alchemy Publisher". It just "wipes" the ads from your computer screen using different filters (which are updated regularly). If I didn't have AdBlock Plus, I wouldn't be using LEO at all, for example, because their page is overflowing with ads. Try it, you'll be amazed!

[Edited at 2008-09-02 06:03]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Get rid of the annoying animations?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search