Are we shooting ourselves in the foot with the 'Answer this question' marketing hook?
Thread poster: Caryl Swift
Caryl Swift
Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:34
Polish to English
+ ...
Sep 12, 2008

Greetings, one and all!

Whenever I’ve cleaned my disc and then, when I’m not logged in, I open up ProZ again via a KudoZ link in an e-mail, I see the following message:

“If you are a translator and know the answer to this question log-in or register (free) to share your knowledge with the community of the leading translation workplace.”

In the light of a number of forum threads regarding KudoZ Answerers and attitudes etc. etc. (forgive me if I don�
... See more
Greetings, one and all!

Whenever I’ve cleaned my disc and then, when I’m not logged in, I open up ProZ again via a KudoZ link in an e-mail, I see the following message:

“If you are a translator and know the answer to this question log-in or register (free) to share your knowledge with the community of the leading translation workplace.”

In the light of a number of forum threads regarding KudoZ Answerers and attitudes etc. etc. (forgive me if I don’t again rehearse the many points made in those threads, but reiteration isn’t my intention here), I’ve found myself wondering if the wording of this might be helping to foster an initial misunderstanding of the ethos.

How often is it possible to be 100% certain that one ‘knows’ what the hook terms ‘THE answer’? Would it not be more likely to encourage the kind of thoughtful, helpful, non-bumptious approach so often discussed, hankered after and mourned for here if something along the lines of ‘suggest’ and ‘an answer’ were used instead? Surely that wouldn’t actively discourage potential new users/members from participating, would it?

Caryl
Collapse

Andrew Levine
Andrew Levine  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:34
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Changing the wording Sep 13, 2008

I think the marketing hook is good... The more outsourcers and agencies who join the site, the better (especially when it comes to putting more eyes on KudoZ questions).

I would just reword the invitation a bit:

“If you are a translator and can help with this question, log-in or register (free) to share your knowledge with the community of the leading translation workplace.”

This also makes it cle
... See more
I think the marketing hook is good... The more outsourcers and agencies who join the site, the better (especially when it comes to putting more eyes on KudoZ questions).

“If you are a translator and can help with this question, log-in or register (free) to share your knowledge with the community of the leading translation workplace.”

This also makes it clear that offering up comments and references, without actually proposing an answer, is also welcome.
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:34
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Great suggestion! Oct 9, 2008

Andrew Levine wrote:

Changing the wording

This also makes it clear that offering up comments and references, without actually proposing an answer, is also welcome.

Thanks a lot Andrew!

The wording was modified as you suggested.

Best regards,
Enrique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are we shooting ourselves in the foot with the 'Answer this question' marketing hook?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »