KudoZ: Require a certain amount of context from askers (staff: 'we require one character')
Thread poster: Philip Ronan
Philip Ronan
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:42
Japanese to English
+ ...
Jun 3, 2003

Would it be possible to check KudoZ questions a bit more rigorously to make sure that the asker has provided some context?

I've seen quite a few postings where the context provided by the asker is just a single character (like "-", for example) or a few random keystrokes (e.g., "jgfasd"), or where the context is exactly the same as the text pasted in to the "Query term" box.

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to add a few rules to the checking algorithm to trap these cases. Surely the minimum length of the text provided as context must be at least 20 characters?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-07 14:54]

Direct link Reply with quote

Empty Whiskey Glass
Local time: 02:42
Bulgarian
+ ...
Abso-bla-bla-lutely! Jun 3, 2003

I agree!
Moreover, the minimum required context must be the sentence where the word/expression appears.

Slainte!

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:42
German to English
+ ...
Context Jun 3, 2003

I would also like to suggest that, if the asker ignores requests for more context, the question not be answered, since everything can only be pure guesswork.

Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:42
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
At least! Jun 3, 2003

Svetozar Georgiev wrote:

I agree!
Moreover, the minimum required context must be the sentence where the word/expression appears.

Slainte!

Regards,
Andrea

Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:42
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
pet peeve Jun 4, 2003

This has been my pet peeve for a while now. I've asked several times that programmers make the entry mandatory and, as Trudy wants, no entry = no question. Let's wait until the new KudoZ rolls out in the next few weeks. There will be some exciting changes to the interface.
MM

Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:42
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
yes, at least Jun 4, 2003

I wholeheartedly agree. In a posting on another forum ( http://www.proz.com/topic/10863 ) I suggested rules to "force" askers to supply more context. Henry answered that such would not be appropriate while it isn't appropriate in some all questions. I don't agree with him, better a little too much context than too few or no real context at all.
Now I understand why he ( http://www.proz.com/pro/1 ) only managed to get some 30 Kudoz.
))))
He only answers questions in rare languages like Dutch and Zulu with probably just two translators: one to ask a question and another to answer the question.
))))
I think the asker should be forced / urged to supply the sentence form with the word / expression / phrase is taken and the sentences before and after it. Secondly the number of "context" words (real context and or explanation) must at least be 5 times the number of "term or phrase" words. This could be stated under the context box
Also when you don't use a checking algorithm, such rules can work efficiently, because there is a great change answerers point this out to the asker, which could result in a more efficient "cooperation" between asker and answerers.
Everey translator knows that context means a lot, and often everything.

my two cents

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 06:42
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Kudoz rule Jun 5, 2003

I suggested rules to "force" askers to supply more context as well. Henry answered that such would not be appropriate while it isn't appropriate in some all questions. I understand that complicated words are encountered in translation world. At least one sentence or usage is mandatory to the answer.
SL

Beth Kantus  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
all for context but against too many rules Jun 5, 2003

Certainly, context is crucial, and everyone should provide as much as possible when asking a question. But there are cases in which the asker really doesn't have much context to go on.
Personally, I believe the fewer rules we have for "forcing" people to do things, the better off we'll be. If someone feels that an asker has not provided adequate context or - for that matter - has any other reason not to answer a particular question, he/she can simply choose not to answer.
And how do you decide what is adequate in every case? I know there are those who say life is really just one long word problem
, but we really can't regulate everything on a mathematical basis.
Let's turn the tables for a minute: what if there were a rule that everyone who subscribes to a particular subset of questions MUST answer every question for which the asker provides a predetermined 'adequate' amount of context?

Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth....

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
A valid question with short but sufficient context Jun 7, 2005

Imagine this KudoZ question:

Term: boxer
Context: dog

I would argue that in this case, three characters of context are sufficient. Our filter requires a single character of context, and beyond that, I think we have to look for other ways to make sure adequate context is available.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ: Require a certain amount of context from askers (staff: 'we require one character')

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search