Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 20:08
Spanish
+ ...
Oct 5, 2008

I just noticed that there's a new area in the forums: Country-specific forums. So I request the staff to add a 'Spanish translation in the United States' to that area.

Thanks,

Claudia

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:08
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Or... Oct 6, 2008

It might be more useful to have a forum about Spanish translation FOR the United States market (regardless of what country the translator, agency or client is in).

Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
An additional idea Oct 6, 2008

I would love to see a USA-specific translation forum. It doesn't have to be a Spanish-specific forum; It could be a broader/more general forum for translators in the USA, and/or translators writing for Americans.

[Edited at 2008-10-06 01:39]

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Er... yes Oct 6, 2008

Steven Capsuto wrote:

It might be more useful to have a forum about Spanish translation FOR the United States market (regardless of what country the translator, agency or client is in).

That's what I meant.

[Edited at 2008-10-06 02:04]

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
If ... Oct 6, 2008

... this idea means that these minority eng/spa dialects of two of the world's greatest languages can be shifted out of the mainstream forum and left to their own devices then I'm all in favo(u)r

MediaMatrix

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:08
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
"In" and not "for" Oct 6, 2008

Actually I believe the two forums that exist today ("La traducción en España" and "La traducción en Uruguay") deal with business or domestic social matters most of the time and not the language. So in my opinion it would be more correct to call the new forum "La traducción al español en los Estados Unidos"). I completely support the idea.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
BTW: Are you ready to be the moderator? Oct 6, 2008

Claudia, you might be asked to moderate the forum, as you are the one proposing it. Are you ready to do that?

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Spanish translations targeted to the Hispanic population in the USA? Oct 6, 2008

How about 'Spanish translations targeted to the Hispanic population in the United States of America'? That would would be the idea.

Sara, I proposed this thread because the Spanish used in the United States has its own characteristics, and sometimes the rules have to be ignored in order to fit the context. For instance: decimal marks, addresses and the names of the states, terminology, etc. And since there are no rule
... See more
How about 'Spanish translations targeted to the Hispanic population in the United States of America'? That would would be the idea.

Sara, I proposed this thread because the Spanish used in the United States has its own characteristics, and sometimes the rules have to be ignored in order to fit the context. For instance: decimal marks, addresses and the names of the states, terminology, etc. And since there are no rules specifically covering the Spanish language in the United States, we could use that forum to set them or at least come up with a standard.

Tomás, I could do it but that is up to ProZ.
Collapse

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Great idea! Oct 6, 2008

You certainly have my support; U.S. Spanish deserves its own forum.

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
Absolutely! Oct 6, 2008

Great idea, Claudia. The examples you mention are my daily bread and butter.

Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Germany
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Interesting Oct 6, 2008

Claudia Alvis wrote:

And since there are no rules specifically covering the Spanish language in the United States,

Tomás, I could do it but that is up to ProZ.

Is that correct? Nothing at all?
I think there is an Academy

http://www.anle.us/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Request for a new forum: Spanish translation in the United States

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »