langnet  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:51
Member (2002)
Italian to German
+ ...
Jun 12, 2003

Why this?
Well, first of all, as for many of us, ProZ.com for me is a kind of connection to the translator community outside that makes me feel less "lonely" during my day. I'm connected to the site practically all day long due to my DSL internet access, so at least I can feel to be virtually in touch with others)).
Very often during my day I take a break looking at what's going on at ProZ/KudoZ(especially at my SC, of course...). When doing this, I normally clic on the link I have added to my Favourites, so what appears first is the ProZ.com homepage. And there is the section of the latest KudoZ questions...
Well, on the home page section currently there are only the "blank" questions without further indications. You don't know at first impact if the question is about "Tech/Engineering" instead of, let's say, "Bus/Financial" or anything else...
It's a known "problem" that not all askers always give the necessary information required for answering (see also the recent context debates...).
As this is mainly a "problem" of the asker and not of the answerer (IMHO, first of all it's the answerer who should be interested in a qualified answer, not the answerer, so in the end it's not his or her business...), for the answerer it would nevertheless be nice if he or she could get some really basic information before opening a question ("Field" and "Specific Fields"). For example: I would not bother too much about "Bus/Financial" questions as I'm working in the technical field. But when there are technical questions, I would appreciate some indication of the "Specific Fields" (for example, "automotive" rather than "electronics") This way, one could "filter" questions at first glance and contribute with his or her experience he or she has in a specific field without loosing time on viewing other questions that are not pertinent to his or her expertise. Of course, anyone who is interested in any questions is still free to view and answer them - I do view those I'm interested in regularly just do learn something, but I refrain from giving an answer. Still, I like to give answers where I feel I might have some expertise to share which could be of help to the asker.

Let's see what you think

Claudia

[Edited at 2003-06-12 21:10]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-07 15:38]

Direct link Reply with quote

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Menu Answer Questions/Expanded View Jun 12, 2003

langnet wrote:

Very often during my day I take a break looking at what's going on at ProZ/KudoZ(especially at my SC, of course...). When doing this, I normally clic on the link I have added to my Favourites, so what appears first is the ProZ.com homepage. And there is the section of the latest KudoZ questions...
Well, on the home page section currently there are only the "blank" questions without further indications. You don't know at first impact if the question is about "Tech/Engineering" instead of, let's say, "Bus/Financial" or anything else...

Hi,
have you tried to access KudoZ via the above with expanded view? It gives you all necessary info (including context) without opening the question. You can bookmark this page instead.

Best,
Magda

langnet  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I have tried it before (but I don't like the layout :-( ) Jun 12, 2003

Magda Dziadosz wrote:

Hi,
have you tried to access KudoZ via the above with expanded view? It gives you all necessary info (including context) without opening the question. You can bookmark this page instead.

Best,
Magda

Thank you for this hint, Magda, and: Yes I've tried to do this instead, but personally I found this too uncomfortable. I like the ProZ home page ...
My point really is the "Specific Fields" and not so much the "Field" information....

Ciao da Torino!

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
An alternative: selected KudoZ notifications Jun 12, 2003

Hi Claudia,

what I am proposing is actually half a solution: why don't you check the KudoZ notifications (profile page, Edit mode, Edit email preferences)? You'll receive notifications only for your expertise fields, if you like (some options to choose from).

Giuliana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ: Show more info in KudoZ list on home page

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search