Getting Rid of GBK Questions Box on Home Page
Thread poster: Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:00
Spanish to English
Dec 4, 2008

Without going into whether this is a good idea or not, I'm finding this box permanently on my home page very annoying, especially as the questions are into Spanish and apparently I'm not allowed to answer anyway, even if I wanted to.

Could there please be a way to toggle visibility of this feature, because I don't want it to ask me how to translate oriel window any more.

Many thanks.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 16:00
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, Nikki Dec 4, 2008

I hear you. I've asked the guys to remove it altogether for now.

Nikki Graham
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Henry Dec 4, 2008

Very prompt response!!!!

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:00
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Excuse me, but... Dec 4, 2008

Henry D wrote:

Only yesterday I made an effort to customize my home page (using the CUSTOMIZE option next to the KudoZ box) and set the number of KGB questions and now my settings have been overridden and I can't set it anymore.

PLEASE - there is the CUSTOMIZE option and EVERYONE CAN DECIDE on hes/his own what type of questions he/she likes to see, do not override our personal settings.

Thank you.

Magda

[Zmieniono 2008-12-04 20:27 GMT]

Nikki Graham
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not talking about same box Dec 4, 2008

Magda Dziadosz wrote:

PLEASE - there is the CUSTOMIZE option and EVERYONE CAN DECIDE on hes/his own what type of questions he/she likes to see, do not override our personal settings.

I'm not talking about ordinary Kudoz questions, but glossary building questions (different box altogether), so if your settings have been upset, it may be a different issue altogether.

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
You can set if you want to see GBQ box or not... Dec 4, 2008

and how many GBQ questions you like to see in the Customize page - that is you could before Henry disabled it altogether

Just click Customize and set "Latest Glossary-building questions" to Hide or Show 10,20, 30...

But as I said: the setting box is still there, but the settings has been overridden and I prefer it to be restored.

Magda

[Zmieniono 2008-12-04 22:24 GMT]

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:00
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
The GBK box will be back Dec 5, 2008

Magda Dziadosz wrote:

But as I said: the setting box is still there, but the settings has been overridden and I prefer it to be restored.

Hi Magda,

The GBK box will be improved and restored soon.

Regards,
Enrique

David Moore (X)
David Moore (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
GBK May 5, 2009

Enrique wrote:

Hi Magda,

Regards,
Enrique

What a pity.

I quite fail to see that the GBK idea serves any useful purpose - at least in my language pair (D>E); either the questions are so simple they can be found in any self-respecting dictionary, and what is more (and more crazy) they are still marked "PRO", with no option to alter it, or they are totally unlikely to crop up in any translation in the next thousand years. Is this not really a total waste of time - particularly when I am not entitled to post an answer to any of the questions, or so it seems? And (following a number of comments here) that is obviously the case with many other site participants.

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
FAQs May 5, 2009

David Moore wrote:

Enrique wrote:

Hi Magda,

Regards,
Enrique

What a pity.

As you can see in a dedicated FAQ, you can hide the GBK homepage displayed in the homepage.

David Moore wrote:
I quite fail to see that the GBK idea serves any useful purpose - at least in my language pair (D>E); either the questions are so simple they can be found in any self-respecting dictionary, and what is more (and more crazy) they are still marked "PRO", with no option to alter it...

NON PRO questions are defined in ProZ.com as follows:

Non-PRO questions are those that are asked by people who are not professional translators, and that can be answered by any bilingual person without the aid of a dictionary

Regards,
Enrique

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
PRO or NON-PRO May 6, 2009

Enrique wrote:
David Moore wrote:
I quite fail to see that the GBK idea serves any useful purpose - at least in my language pair (D>E); either the questions are so simple they can be found in any self-respecting dictionary, and what is more (and more crazy) they are still marked "PRO", with no option to alter it...

NON PRO questions are defined in ProZ.com as follows:

Non-PRO questions are those that are asked by people who are not professional translators, and that can be answered by any bilingual person without the aid of a dictionary

Regards,
Enrique

David, I agree with every word you say about GBK-s.
We have PRO questions like: "lanolin",
and you and me are NOT even qualified to answer.

Sample:
English to Czech translation of lanolin: lanolín
English to Bulgarian translation of lanolin: Ланолин
Da Inglese a Italiano translation of lanolin: lanolina
eng>lit, lanolin · lanolinas
eng>hun, lanolin · lanolin
eng>rom, lanolin · lanolină
eng>polish, lanolin · lanolina
eng>ger, lanolin · Lanolin
eng>turkish, lanolin · lanolin
etc.
What a way to build a "professional" glossary, at a rate of approximately 350 words per calendar year.
The whole thing is a joke.

David Moore (X)
David Moore (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
GBK May 9, 2009

Henry D wrote:

Dear Henry,

First of all, congratulations on your quick response to Nikki's request.

Now here is another request, on which I do NOT expect such a quick response.

Please would you examine the GBK feature closely, and all the comments associated with it, not only those on the forum pages but those on the question pages too. You will find many hurtful comments directed - rightly in my view - at the questions, and I take the view that glossaries on ProZ are being built quite nicely thank you, without this feature.

This being the case, it appears to me that everyone at your end involved with this joke (for that in all honesty is all it is) would be far better spending the time cleaning up the glossaries which already exist. They do contain some rubbish, it has to be said, and not all users of this site have the experience necessary to separate the wheat from the chaff.

So please consider dropping the GBK feature, and you will do the translator community the biggest favour you have done since you originally started this site.

Best wishes,

David

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
True! May 9, 2009

David Moore wrote:

... it appears to me that everyone at your end involved with this joke (for that in all honesty is all it is) would be far better spending the time cleaning up the glossaries which already exist. They do contain some rubbish, it has to be said, and not all users of this site have the experience necessary to separate the wheat from the chaff.

So please consider dropping the GBK feature, and you will do the translator community the biggest favour you have done since you originally started this site.

I wholeheartedly agree with all that David and juvera have written. The GBK feature IS a joke. There's so much rubbish in the "normal" glossaries that it would be a much better idea to clean these up instead of creating a new "feature" that nobody really needs.

How about allowing KudoZ editors to edit/delete nonsense glossary entries in their language pair/s, and to create new entries where neither the asker nor the answerer have bothered to do so (to be double-checked by the moderator/s of the pairs in question)? THAT would be a step in the right direction! I search the glossaries in my language pairs regularly, and I'd be happy to help with this as I do have editing rights.

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Example May 9, 2009

Please forgive me for hijacking this thread, but I just had to share this:

I searched the KudoZ glossaries just now for "help with sentence", clicking both the "Whole words only" and "Match exact phrase" options, and setting the languages to "Any language pair". The search returned: -

- 41 KOG entries
- 425 KudoZ archive entries
- 9 personal glossary entries (!!)

THAT's where your attention, time and effort are needed
... See more
Please forgive me for hijacking this thread, but I just had to share this:

I searched the KudoZ glossaries just now for "help with sentence", clicking both the "Whole words only" and "Match exact phrase" options, and setting the languages to "Any language pair". The search returned: -

- 41 KOG entries
- 425 KudoZ archive entries
- 9 personal glossary entries (!!)

THAT's where your attention, time and effort are needed, Enrique & Co., instead of wasting them with building a useless GBK glossary. These entries are of no use at all because they give you neither the term asked nor the answer given.
Collapse

hazmatgerman (X)
hazmatgerman (X)
English to German
Secondment May 12, 2009

I'd like to let LittleBalu and David Moore know that I'm with them, both in analysis and conclusion. If this response is squashed as several others by myself and other users/members, I will give up on hoping that change will come.

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Locking this thread May 12, 2009

This thread was about the GBK box displayed on the home page and, as far as I know, this issue has been properly answered.

Some users have expressed dissatisfaction with the GBK feature.
... See more
This thread was about the GBK box displayed on the home page and, as far as I know, this issue has been properly answered.

Some users have expressed dissatisfaction with the GBK feature. This is totally valid, and it is possible to opt out of GBK notifications and to hide the GBK homepage box.

On the other hand, more than 2,000 users have participated as GBK answerers and many more as peer graders. I kindly ask those who are not interested in the GBK program to just abstain from participating in it.

I am locking this thread.
Regards,
Enrique
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting Rid of GBK Questions Box on Home Page

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »