Rebecca Jowers
Rebecca Jowers  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:23
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 9, 2009

Previously (I am not sure whether this still exists), it was possible to "flag" Kudoz askers in order to be notified when they ask a Kudoz question. But I personally would like to be able to "flag" certain Proz colleagues, in order to be notified when they ANSWER a question. For me, part of the interest in participating in Kudoz is learning from others, and I am sure that all of us have a list (mental or otherwise) of Proz colleagues whom we consider to be particularly knowledgeable in our field... See more
Previously (I am not sure whether this still exists), it was possible to "flag" Kudoz askers in order to be notified when they ask a Kudoz question. But I personally would like to be able to "flag" certain Proz colleagues, in order to be notified when they ANSWER a question. For me, part of the interest in participating in Kudoz is learning from others, and I am sure that all of us have a list (mental or otherwise) of Proz colleagues whom we consider to be particularly knowledgeable in our fields of expertise. With so much work and with so many questions being asked each day, the time that I can devote to participating in Kudoz is limited. So I would like to be notified when the colleagues whom I perceive as experts in my fields are answering questions, as another way of filtering the questions that would be of most interest to me. (Note: I am not necessarily referring to "Certified PROs," but rather to the many Kudoz participants I have seen over the years who are really knowledgeable in their fields.) I know this would be feasible possible (Jared and the other Proz staff members have certainly worked out more complex features for the site). But am I the only one who would like to see this feature offered, or would other Prozians like to be able to "flag" Kudoz answerers too?Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I would certainly value this Feb 9, 2009

Yes, you're quite right to talk about the individual lists that we develop Rebecca!

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
KudoZ history page Feb 9, 2009

Hi Rebecca & Noni,

You can see other site users and members answers to KudoZ questions by visiting their KudoZ history pages. To see the answers of colleagues you consider to be particularly knowledgeable in your fields of interest, just visit their profiles and click on "KudoZ activity". A window will pop-up allowing you to see not only a list of KudoZ answers submitted by that colleague but also the questions asked, KudoZ points totals and KudoZ questions that are still ope
... See more
Hi Rebecca & Noni,

You can see other site users and members answers to KudoZ questions by visiting their KudoZ history pages. To see the answers of colleagues you consider to be particularly knowledgeable in your fields of interest, just visit their profiles and click on "KudoZ activity". A window will pop-up allowing you to see not only a list of KudoZ answers submitted by that colleague but also the questions asked, KudoZ points totals and KudoZ questions that are still open.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Lucia
Collapse

ElleC
ElleC  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't know about this Kudoz thing... Feb 10, 2009

I like that it builds a glossary, but I got burned on the points. I don't think it's fair the way they're assigned.

Rebecca Jowers
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Response to Lucia Feb 10, 2009

Of course after participating in Proz for so many years, both I (and I am sure Noni) are quite aware that we can check the Kudoz activities of any answerer at any time. But what I would like to see is the possibility of being notified "en el acto" that a valued answerer is currently answering a Kudoz question that might be of interest in our fields. That way we could intervene immediately in a terminological discussion, and thus gain valuable insight or perhaps contribute to a question of inte... See more
Of course after participating in Proz for so many years, both I (and I am sure Noni) are quite aware that we can check the Kudoz activities of any answerer at any time. But what I would like to see is the possibility of being notified "en el acto" that a valued answerer is currently answering a Kudoz question that might be of interest in our fields. That way we could intervene immediately in a terminological discussion, and thus gain valuable insight or perhaps contribute to a question of interest that is open and current, not closed and stale.Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 10:23
SITE FOUNDER
I like the idea Feb 10, 2009

Rebecca Jowers wrote:

Of course after participating in Proz for so many years, both I (and I am sure Noni) are quite aware that we can check the Kudoz activities of any answerer at any time. But what I would like to see is the possibility of being notified "en el acto" that a valued answerer is currently answering a Kudoz question that might be of interest in our fields. That way we could intervene immediately in a terminological discussion, and thus gain valuable insight or perhaps contribute to a question of interest that is open and current, not closed and stale.

Sounds like a good suggestion to me - thanks! We'll do it.

Rebecca Jowers
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so much, Henry! Feb 10, 2009

I certainly appreciate your response to my suggestion and I look forward to using this new Proz feature.

Saludos desde Madrid,

Rebecca

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sounds smashing to me! Feb 10, 2009

Rebecca Jowers wrote: So I would like to be notified when the colleagues whom I perceive as experts in my fields are answering questions, as another way of filtering the questions that would be of most interest to me.

Sounds like a tremendous idea to me. It would certainly help learning from true experts in very specific fields. Some people do try to explain their answers, and it is the explanations that are very interesting reading.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Good idea Feb 10, 2009

Would it also be possible to flag when your chosen answerer comments on someone else's answer or contributes to the discussion of a given question?

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:23
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
This has been implemented Mar 13, 2009

Happy Friday!

Thanks a lot for a great suggestion. It has just been implemented, you can see the announcement here.

Kind regards,
Enrique

Rebecca Jowers
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to Enrique, Henry and all of the Proz programmers who make this possible Mar 13, 2009

I will certainly enjoy using this feature!

Buen fin de semana a todos y

Saludos desde Madrid,

Rebecca

Susanna & Christian Popescu
Susanna & Christian Popescu
Germany
Romanian to German
+ ...
Notification about flags, flag wallet Mar 14, 2009

How about also sending a feedback to flagged colleagues and implementing a feature - similar to WWA - with the number of flags in their profile? I think they would deserve it. The number of Kudoz-question answered is not necessarily always a mirror of competence and/or of "internal" appreciation.

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Nice idea, big reservations. Mar 24, 2009

I liked the idea at first too, but IMO it's too open to abuse (stalking), unless used professionally, which is, em, unlikely here.
(See link below for a recent discussion on the subject.)

You'd need all sorts of restrictions. Answerers should rightly have to explicitly allow themselves to be tracked.

Flagging askers is different. Askers are actively seeking assistance/attention, and WANT to alert people when they
... See more
I liked the idea at first too, but IMO it's too open to abuse (stalking), unless used professionally, which is, em, unlikely here.
(See link below for a recent discussion on the subject.)

You'd need all sorts of restrictions. Answerers should rightly have to explicitly allow themselves to be tracked.

Flagging askers is different. Askers are actively seeking assistance/attention, and WANT to alert people when they post.

Cilian

http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/130070-it_is_now_possible_to_flag_kudoz_answerers.html
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion for improving Kudoz: Flagging Answerers

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »