Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:32
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 13, 2009

Day by day there are new translators in Proz.com. Frequently we read new fora postings asking questions already answered and exhaustively treated in the fora. If there is a way of 1) identifying these most FQA and, 2) establishing a link to those from the fora for different languages, that would be useful both for existing members/users and newcomers.

Regards,

Elías

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:32
Italian to English
+ ...
Sticky topics Feb 13, 2009

We've asked for 'em - we haven't got 'em yet.

(You've got it - this is also a repetitive forum topic!)

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:32
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Odd man out Feb 13, 2009

Well, I guess I'm the odd man out on this topic, because I have no objection to endlessly repeated forum topics. First of all, there are always new things and different approaches in them, with different people answering, etc., and also it is such a PAIN to have to go plowing through all the forums to find what you're looking for. My feeling is: if you don't want to read a repeated forum topic, then don't!

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:32
English to French
+ ...
That's what sticky topics are for Feb 13, 2009

Amy, I see your point, and I agree that different people at different times could have different advice/insight to give. And a sticky topic is all about that. It's like a page dedicated solely to that particular topic. People who want to know something in particular get access to all that has ever been said on that topic instead of taking a chance on the few people who may answer a new thread posted about it. People who like to help out would also know precisely where to go to help their peers.<... See more
Amy, I see your point, and I agree that different people at different times could have different advice/insight to give. And a sticky topic is all about that. It's like a page dedicated solely to that particular topic. People who want to know something in particular get access to all that has ever been said on that topic instead of taking a chance on the few people who may answer a new thread posted about it. People who like to help out would also know precisely where to go to help their peers.

You mention that looking up threads through forum search is inefficient and tedious. Wouldn't you agree that if smaller threads discussing the same exact topic were all gathered into one big topic, the forum search would also be much more efficient? I agree, though, that the forum search interface and its algorithms are not quite as good as they could be. Granted, ProZ listened when users asked for this to be improved, and they did try to improve it a few times. However, I still get the impression that those who implement improvements are not using the tool, and that it isn't clear in their minds what exactly needs to be improved and how.

Increasingly, people post links to other threads because they are a bit tired of repeating themselves. Wouldn't it be nice if these threads weren't all scattered around the site and were in one spot instead?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:32
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
+0 Feb 13, 2009

Elías Sauza wrote:
If there is a way of 1) identifying these most FQA and, 2) establishing a link to those from the fora for different languages, that would be useful both for existing members/users and newcomers.

True, but the questions would still come. What would be great is if members had the right to close threads from newbies after they've posted a single reply containing (say) three links to other threads in which the question was answered. In such a closed thread, only the original poster can post a reply, and when he does, the thread is open for all again.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:32
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Efficiency Feb 13, 2009

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

You mention that looking up threads through forum search is inefficient and tedious. Wouldn't you agree that if smaller threads discussing the same exact topic were all gathered into one big topic, the forum search would also be much more efficient?

Hi Viktoria,
Yes, if there were some way to look up a topic and just be able to pounce right on it instead of having to slog through a zillion things that are only vaguely related would be swell!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Repetitive fora topics - Link to FAQ related

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »