https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/131729-thematic_certification.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Thematic certification
Thread poster: Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:54
English to French
+ ...
Mar 31, 2009

Hi, I'm just briefly outlining the proposal here.

Suppose I just made a translation in the very specific field of scuba-diving, and the client is satisfied.

It would be a pity if the next client for scuba-diving didn't find me, and had to pick another translator who doesn't know scuba-diving.

The proposed feature is this :

1) In addition to the already existing expertise fields in my profile, I have a custom field, where I write "scuba-diving".
... See more
Hi, I'm just briefly outlining the proposal here.

Suppose I just made a translation in the very specific field of scuba-diving, and the client is satisfied.

It would be a pity if the next client for scuba-diving didn't find me, and had to pick another translator who doesn't know scuba-diving.

The proposed feature is this :

1) In addition to the already existing expertise fields in my profile, I have a custom field, where I write "scuba-diving".

2) My client, corporate registered, comes after me and checks a box meaning "yes, he did that and we're satisfied".

And then the client has the choice to hide its name, because the job could be under NDA.

Thus my expertise in scuba-diving is "proz-certified", in a very weak and modest way. Weak but useful to me.
Collapse

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Project history? Mar 31, 2009

Hi Arnaud,

The Project history (see the FAQ) option offers something quite similar. Categories are broader (e.g., Sports / Fitness / Recreation) but fairly informative, and you can add more specific information in the title field plus the description field. The number of corroborated projects you have in that field will be shown in the directory search.
... See more
Hi Arnaud,

The Project history (see the FAQ) option offers something quite similar. Categories are broader (e.g., Sports / Fitness / Recreation) but fairly informative, and you can add more specific information in the title field plus the description field. The number of corroborated projects you have in that field will be shown in the directory search.

Would that work in your case? Or is it a good starting point?

Attila
Collapse

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good Mar 31, 2009

Replying only to Attila.

It's a good starting point but a webmaster building a thematic hierarchy will never reach the kind of tiny tiny thematic precision I'm looking for.

Let's make the imaginary case even more of a caricature:

My client is a very local scuba-diving club. They are not interested in other sports or recreational activities. They will just type "scuba-diving" in the search field and that is all they will ever be able to do.

And
... See more
Replying only to Attila.

It's a good starting point but a webmaster building a thematic hierarchy will never reach the kind of tiny tiny thematic precision I'm looking for.

Let's make the imaginary case even more of a caricature:

My client is a very local scuba-diving club. They are not interested in other sports or recreational activities. They will just type "scuba-diving" in the search field and that is all they will ever be able to do.

And they need to find me. Not the guy for kyte-surfing.

[Edited at 2009-03-31 15:21 GMT]
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Serious comment Mar 31, 2009

I actually think it would make sense. Would it be possible to make our Project History / WWA / LWA searchable for keywords?

That would be helpful as a starting point for Arnauds suggestion, I suppose.

I do agree there should not be too many checkboxes and/or symbols, but there must be other ways...

BTW, the other replies did make me laugh, which is a good thing after a long day of hard work.:-)

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Specialty fields Mar 31, 2009

Another idea: insert in the "specialty fields" (when you fill in your profile) the option "other (specify)"...

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:54
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Profile keywords can be useful Mar 31, 2009

Arnaud, you can use your profile keywords to accomplish what you want.
The client you described is more likely to do a Google search anyway, and if you have "Scuba diving translations" or even more specific words in your keyword list (use some of the specific terminology form that job, for example), they will be able to find you.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thematic certification

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »