Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:43
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
May 21, 2009

G'day everyone

A student member recently posted a question in the forums. In the thread list view, his name has a red ribbon next to it, but there is no further indication that he is a student member. In the thread post view itself, again there is a red ribbon and there is a red note saying "Student member". In his profile, again there is a red ribbon but there is no indication that he is a student member. In fact, the word "student" is not even present on his profile page. Only when you mouse-over the red ribbon can you see that he is a student member.

Coloured ribbons mean different things to different people. I myself associate the blue ribbon with the free speech campaign. But you don't see the free speech blue ribbon a lot in the press and in public. What you do see often, however, is the red ribbon. It is used in the media, in advertising, in PR, and in many other places.

It almost took me a few seconds to realise that our posting student member is not an AIDS activist. So how do you think would members of the public respond when they see the red ribbon on student members' profile pages? What would their association with it likely be?

I think ProZ.com should stop using the red ribbon. Instead, put the red words "Student member" on the student members' profile pages, under their names. There is no need IMO to indicate in the thread list view that a person is a student member, and the current practice of using the red text "Student member" in the thread post view can be continued.

Your thoughts?

foghorn
English to Turkish
+ ...
lighter side… May 21, 2009

i didn’t know the ribbons meant that much. i’m rather inclined to think that more ribbons you have more decorated you are and i'm ready to receive a ribbon for that.icon_redface.gif

yes.. you're right in a sense..

Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:13
German to English
Change the colour of the ribbon May 21, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:
It almost took me a few seconds to realise that our posting student member is not an AIDS activist.
I think ProZ.com should stop using the red ribbon.

Yes, red ribbons are now commonly associated with HIV/AIDS campaigns and this could be misleading on a translators' website. Since ribbons indicate membership on ProZ.com, maybe the colour of the ribbon could be changed.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No more ribbons, please May 21, 2009

Niraja Nanjundan wrote:
Yes, red ribbons are now commonly associated with HIV/AIDS campaigns and this could be misleading on a translators' website. Since ribbons indicate membership on ProZ.com, maybe the colour of the ribbon could be changed.

If you have too many ribbons, the meaning of all ribbons diminish. One ribbon is enough -- it's a ribbon for fully paid members. Why should there be a second or third or fourth ribbon for the various classes of non-fully paid members?

I'm surprised we don't have male/female icons next to the names (no, please, I'm joking).

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
OK, ribbons out May 22, 2009

Samuel, trust me that that ribbon is not red, it is orange. Please look again, more carefully.

Even a more important issue, for me, is that those ribbons are not identical. The light blue ribbon of the partial member is thicker than the deep blue of the full member; the purple ribbon of the corporate member has a stronger curve; the orange ribbon of the student member has an additional chip on the location of 11 o'clock etc.

In fact, I'd be all for more austerity in looks. Why not lose all those ribbons, check marks, and the mouthful of Member, Corporate Member, Site Staff, Site Founder, Student... ? How about this, instead: everyone's name is in the color indicating their site status and VID'ed people have their names in bold? For instance, I'm a VID'ed full member, so my name, Özden Arıkan is in bold darker blue. Nothing else shown above or under it. But when you mouseover the name you can see that I am a full member, have my ID verified, etc. If I let my full membership expire, I'll have my name in bold black; if I lose my VID for some reason, my name would be in plain black. If I buy partial membership the other year, it would be light blue, and get VID'ed again and buy corporate membership, it'd be bold purple...

No, no, it wouldn't be confusing. It is confusing right now! See 'foghorn's message above.

RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Let's start with clearer membership status labeling throughout the site May 22, 2009

Thanks for your thoughts on this. There is room for improvement in the way how the information related to membership status is presented in the site. The ideas expressed here can help to achieve consistency in that regard.

Let's start with more clearly labeling different membership types throughout the site.

Thanks.

Romina

Aniello Scognamiglio  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
A step further... May 22, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

If you have too many ribbons, the meaning of all ribbons diminish. One ribbon is enough -- it's a ribbon for fully paid members. Why should there be a second or third or fourth ribbon for the various classes of non-fully paid members?

I'm surprised we don't have male/female icons next to the names (no, please, I'm joking).

I agree with what you say, Samuel, and I still wonder why this community needs ribbons at all. Actually, we don't need them. That's my opinion. I cannot see any added value. Just the name, that's more than enough.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do not assume labelling is always important May 22, 2009

RominaZ wrote:
Let's start with more clearly labeling different membership types throughout the site.

My original post related only to the red ribbon, so I'm really not concerned with the labelling of other types of membership, but since the question was raised, I'll give my opinion. Too many labels will result in people not knowing what the labels all mean. In many cases the membership can be indicated using coloured text, without having to resort to an icon (eg on people's profile pages).

QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Not enough ribbons! May 23, 2009

If you think all these identifiers are taking up too much space, why don't we combine ribbons with seals? The colour combination is almost endless.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rethinking the way student members are indicated

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search