Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
What about a forum for women and mothers?
Thread poster: Silvia Barra

Silvia Barra  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:47
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 3, 2009

Good afternoon,
I'd like to suggest the creation of a new forum dedicated to mothers (and being mother) and women, in order to compare between colleagues all over the world about problems related to being mother and worker (whether freelance or not), finding some spare time, finding tips and tricks to conjugate work and keeping a house, finding solutions to follow training courses when there is a little baby, and so on.
My suggestion arise from the fact that in Italian forum (I don't know in other forums) this kind of argument always creates great participation by ProZians, and that I personally can find great suggestions from people (not necessarily women, mind) sharing my same problems related to home living, working, having children, etc.
With this suuggestion I don't want to discriminate or offend anyone, since my request does not mean to restrict the participation at the forum to some categories.
I'm available to further discuss this idea, and I hope it can be useful for ProZ community.
Thank you
Silvia

Direct link

Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Turkey
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Sweet suggestion, but... Jun 3, 2009

I disagree.
I don't think that discussions about pampers will help us and our business.

Direct link

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:47
Spanish to English
Sounds good Jun 3, 2009

I think its a great idea, though I think it would be better aimed at men and women who have young children and work from home, rather than limiting it to mothers.

Direct link

Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Against it Jun 3, 2009

No offence meant, Silvia, but this is a platform for translation pros. You can start a thread in the forum on anything you like even now by simply marking it as being "off topic". There's no need for a dedicated forum that's totally unrelated to the translation business.

Best wishes,
LB

Direct link

Jared Tabor
Local time: 22:47
SITE STAFF
Not within site scope Jun 3, 2009

Hello all,

Thanks for the suggestion, Silvia. However, a forum like this would not be in line with the site's scope, http://www.proz.com/scope

Best regards,

Jared

Direct link

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 04:47
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Good idea but... Jun 3, 2009

Please do not make discriminationicon_smile.gif What about fathers working at home? Such a forum, maybe an off-topic forum, will be helpful for fathers as well.

Selcuk
Father of Batu (2 y.o.)

Direct link

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:47
English to French
+ ...
I think a lifestyle forum would be in line with the forum scope Jun 3, 2009

I totally see where Silvia's suggestion comes from, and she is right, in my opinion, to feel like discussing such topics on this site. I think there is room for that kind of discussion here.

However, I think that the forum would exclude too many people. Instead, what could probably be done is to create a forum on freelancer lifestyle. This would certainly include about 99% of the site's users and it would be in line with the forum scope as it would deal with living day to day as a freelance translator (or reviewer or subtitler or voice artist, whatever).

I am already visiting a site regularly to fill in the social void and to be in touch with people who are living in an environment similar to mine, although the main topic there is keeping a clean house and caring for one's body (lots of discussion on involving kids in chores, losing weight, cooking on a shoestring budget). The site in question is www.flylady.com - I can very well imagine the kind of forum they have on this site, but a little more restricted to freelance work. I find such a forum enriching and I have learned lots of useful tips from FlyLady & Co. Above all, frequenting such a forum is very motivating.

I would love to see how some women get rid of baby fat as freelancers, how some people find time to spend with family amidst tough deadlines, how some of us compensate for the few thousand steps less we walk each day because we don't commute to work and don't climb office stairs, how some of us teach family members to respect our workspaces, etc.

A freelancer lifestyle forum would surely fit in...

Direct link

Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:47
Italian to English
+ ...
Women/mothers Jun 3, 2009

And why not cat owners - mine takes up more time than my son ever did!

Ma siamo serie, ragazze.

Direct link

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Threads within forums Jun 3, 2009

Depending on the focus of the forum these topics can be discussed - and indeed have been many times - in either the Off-topic or the Being independent forums.

I don't think it's a good idea to have a forum specifically for women or mothers. Many of the challenges they face are shared with men/ fathers/ stay-at-home fathers, so why block them out?

Direct link

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Translation: The Profession for working mums? Jun 3, 2009

Don't forget preretired people and pensioners moonlighting a bit, laid-off employees of all kinds. On some profiles you read : I want to remain mentally fit or experience as a former police-man/woman makes me qualified to be a translator,... When GM goes bust, the number of "translators" will grow again.
Due to every Joe and Jane Do can become a translator, the image of translators is already as bad as it can get. Translation: thé profession for working mums.

Fortunately, it is outside the scope of the forums.

[Bijgewerkt op 2009-06-03 18:30 GMT]

Direct link

Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 04:47
English to Latvian
Like many others, I believe it's indeed inappropriate Jun 3, 2009

Then, what about a forum for men related to cars and motorbikes?
Sorry, but within this scope, I am a businesswoman, not a housewife, and there are many other sites out there dedicated specifically to women problems, raising children and cooking (or whatever else).

Direct link

Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
Swedish
+ ...
Is this the right site? Thousands of groups waiting to be formed.. Jun 3, 2009

Hi Silvia,

Sorry to say, but I don't agree with you.

What about married, divorced or single mothers, and the fathers? And don't forget about the left-handed / right-handed married, divorced or single ones, mixed up with vegetarians/non-vegetarians, and/or dog/cat/horse/guinea pig owners and so on.

Frankly spoken, seen from a professional perspective, we also have the CAT / non-CAT users, PC / Mac users, experts for technical texts (don't ask me how many technical fields there are), or experts for botany, medical and so on.

ProZ.com is not the right place for this. And besides that, what would we gain from that?

Erik

Direct link

Els Hoefman  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
I would like that, but this may not be the place Jun 3, 2009

I was just thinking today it would be nice to have a forum for WAHMs (work-at-home moms) (and include dads of course, Selcuk), which many of us here at Proz are. My 3-year-old will be home for two whole months this summer (schools in Belgium close July and August) and I don't know how I can keep him entertained and get some work done at the same time. I would like to ask my colleagues here at Proz, since many will be able to share their experiences, but it is slightly off topic. It would be great if there were an appropriate forum for questions like this. Would it be a good idea to create one - I mean independently from Proz? I would be in favour - I would even be willing to start a forum if there is enough interest.

Direct link

Rad Graban  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
How about... Jun 3, 2009

seperate forums for fathers, gays, lesbians, single persons, married ones, divorsed, those in civil partnership..... you name it. Don't think so.

Direct link

Damian Harrison
Germany
German to English
So what is a pro? Jun 3, 2009

1. The title of Silvia's posting may have been somewhat unfortunate, but she clearly did not intend to exclude anyone from the forum:
"I don't want to discriminate or offend anyone, since my request does not mean to restrict the participation at the forum to some categories."

2. Some of the responses to this question are excruciatingly painful. Once again ephemeral idea of "the professional" rears its ugly head...
Would anyone here actually care to define "the professional" or is it just a handy concept for slagging off other Prozians? That may sound harsh, but I've now seen enough negative references to "working Mums" to have an idea of where this discussion is headed.
Seen from a "professional perspective" - if a given group of people wish to discuss their specific work situation, give them a forum. Where exactly is the problem? The scope of the site extends to include: "general business issues pertinent to site users ". Surely the question of work/life balance is a general business issue.
How could this in any way detract from the professional standing of the site or its members? Do we really have to worry about clients trolling the "Work/life balance forum" for renegade Mums and Dads? And if you were worried about that, why would you post there???!!!

[Edited at 2009-06-03 21:49 GMT]

Direct link

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What about a forum for women and mothers?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search