Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:21
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jun 4, 2009

G'day everyone

At present, the date of the latest post is displayed under the name of the latest contributor to a thread, but the date of the first post is not indicated. I would not have thought it necessary previously, but it has become a habit of some people to reopen threads that are many years old. Now when I read a "recent" thread, I tend to spend more time on the first post than on the last post, and I don't always notice when the first post is 5 years old. I would really like to have some kind of forewarning of this. It would be great if the date of the first post can be noted under the name of the topic initiater, which itself is already displayed in the listing.

Your thoughts?

Andreas Nieckele  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:21
English to Portuguese
Great suggestion Jun 5, 2009

Yes, I also find it annoying when people dig up 8 year old posts. How much useful information can you extract out of it almost a decade later? How do you expect to keep the momentum of the conversation going if none of the original posters are around anymore?

I think it would be great if the date of the original post would become seriously highlighted after a year or so.

Felipe Gútiez  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
Great suggestion Jun 5, 2009

Maybe this could be put this way:

Name of poster, date of first post

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Agree Jun 5, 2009

Although I don't agree that old threads are necessarily useless - some topics are perennial, after all - it would be good to know that they are old, so you could skip to the last page and the latest posts if nothing else.

Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:51
German to English
Yes..... Jun 5, 2009

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:
I don't agree that old threads are necessarily useless - some topics are perennial

...I think it's much better to dig up old posts than have loads and loads of repetitive threads. Wouldn't it be better for the archive, for example, if there were only one or two massive threads on rates instead of the weekly (or at least bi-monthly) cribbing we get on this topic.

[Edited at 2009-06-05 07:24 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, old threads can be useful Jun 5, 2009

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:
Although I don't agree that old threads are necessarily useless - some topics are perennial, after all - it would be good to know that they are old, so you could skip to the last page and the latest posts if nothing else.

My sentiments exactly.

Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Feature already available in the past Jun 8, 2009

Hello all,

Note that this feature was available in the past and it was later removed as it made the list of topics in forums look rather cluttered.

However, I will see that it is re-implemented.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Lucia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Show date of first post in thread list

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search