Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:03
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jun 4, 2009

G'day everyone

Sometimes a thread becomes hot and veers off-topic rather drastically, and then a staff member comes in and posts a message asking everyone to get back on topic. Well, it often takes a few more posts before people start heeding the staff member's request, and I think this is because people don't deliberately check to see if a staff member had posted, before posting a hot-headed reply.

So my suggestion is that any thread in which a staff member had posted a reply should be coloured in the thread listings in a way similar to the current colouration used for off-topic posts. Except that pink instead of grey may be more appropriate. This way, active participants in a thread can be reminded that a staff member had posted in that thread and that they need to watch out for the post, lest their own intended reply is contradictory to the staff member's wishes or response.

Alternatively, when people reply to such a thread, there should be a warning at the top to the effect "You are replying to a thread in which a staff member posted a response. Have you read the staff members' post before writing your response?"

Your thoughts?

Samuel

Alessandra Martelli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Agree Jun 5, 2009

Hi Samuel,

I totally agree with your suggestion. This change would be very useful, and I'd rather go for the colour AND the warning message

Have a nice day & work,
Aless

[Edited at 2009-06-05 07:54 GMT]

William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Agree... Jun 5, 2009

...with both Aless and Samuel.

Alessandra Martelli wrote:

I totally agree with your suggestion. This change would be very useful, and I'd rather go for the colour AND the warning message

Aless

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Good ideas Jun 8, 2009

Agree with both suggestions too.

I admit to skimming long threads, especially if they seem to be getting repetitive, and then firing off some "inspired" comment that is not always so brilliant if I read it again the next day...icon_biggrin.gif

Moderators would still have to deal with the real hotheads, but it might make a lot of us read our posts and edit them an extra time (or even delete them...).

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2009-06-09 07:55 GMT]

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 21:03
Spanish
+ ...
Great idea Jun 8, 2009

It would be very helpful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Colourise threads if staff member posted in it

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search