Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Can this annoying new feature be turned off? (auto-editing of site name in forums)
Thread poster: Steven Capsuto

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:33
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 11, 2009

I understand that you want uniform branding, but this is ridiculous.

Can you PLEASE stop auto-editing our forum messages to make the name of your site consistent? I don't work for you, and if I want to put P r o Z without the .com, that's surely my business.

I swear, I sometimes think your staff wakes up in the morning thinking, "What annoying little thing can we do today to alienate our users?"

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-06-11 10:04 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

FarkasAndras
Local time: 03:33
English to Hungarian
+ ...
not new Jun 11, 2009

That has been like that for at least a few months.
It doesn't bother me much, although I do find it a bit ridiculous. Whatever, I have bigger issues with the way the site is run so I won't start complaining about an irrelevant little wordfilter.

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
It's hardly new! Jun 11, 2009

They've been doing it for years...

[Edited at 2009-06-11 08:18 GMT]

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 04:33
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Very odd opinion Jun 11, 2009

As you say, it is done for consistency. That's all. We live in an e-world. Consistency in good for searching. A site name is also a name and is supposed to be the same in all posts.
If you want to emphasize use BBcode: word, word, word, even word.

I want to put P r o Z

The spacing you use is a rudimentary tradition that originates from typewriters that had only one typeface and no ways to emphasize the text but by spacing it out or underlining. It is bad manners in the e-world.

[Редактировалось 2009-06-11 08:26 GMT]

Lutz Molderings  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
doesn't bother me Jun 11, 2009

Can't say this bothers me.
As you say, there's a reason why ProZ does this.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
On consistency for searching Jun 11, 2009

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:
As you say, it is done for consistency. ... Consistency in good for searching.

The spacing you use [for emphasis] is a rudimentary tradition that originates from typewriters that had only one typeface and no ways to emphasize the text but by spacing it out or underlining. It is bad manners in the e-world.

Perhaps he has done it not for emphasis but to prevent searching?

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
On making changes to messages Jun 11, 2009

Steven Capsuto wrote:
Can you PLEASE stop auto-editing our forum messages to make the name of your site consistent? I don't work for you, and if I want to put P r o Z without the .com, that's surely my business.

Alternatively, can you (ProZ.com) please edit everyone's messages so that references to platinum members are automatically corrected to the appropriate currently used term for it? And the same goes for any other feature that was renamed in the site. And... I still see many people use the word "bid" in posts about bids -- why not change that as well? I'm not sarcastic.

Although, it would be nice (and good manners) to indicate at the bottom of a post that some words in it had been altered. For the sake of those who feel strongly about it, or for the sake of those who want to be reminded of using the correct terms.

United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Miscellany Jun 11, 2009

I spaced out the characters because it's the only way to get that combination of letters to display properly on this website, so it would be clear what I'm talking about.

If a person's name is on a message, it should contain his or her words, not someone else's. I can understand editing to take out obscenities, slander, etc.

But despite strong opinions to the contrary, P r o Z isn't a cuss word.

As language professionals, we choose our words deliberately. To edit for no compelling reason is disrespectful of the users and their writing voices.

If someone's going to rewrite my texts, they damned well better pay me for the privilege.

[Edited at 2009-06-11 09:59 GMT]

TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
Hmmm ... Jun 11, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

As you say, it is done for consistency. ... Consistency in good for searching.

The spacing you use [for emphasis] is a rudimentary tradition that originates from typewriters that had only one typeface and no ways to emphasize the text but by spacing it out or underlining. It is bad manners in the e-world.

Perhaps he has done it not for emphasis but to prevent searching?

That almost sounds logical. But why would I post a message in what is essentially a public forum and then try and stop people from finding it? Perhaps Steven is more devious than we give him credit for.

TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
eManners for the eWorld? God help us. Jun 11, 2009

... had only one typeface and no ways to emphasize the text but by spacing it out or underlining. It is bad manners in the e-world.

I couldn't give a monkey's. When I was your age, all we had was a real world. Trees and fields as far as the eye could see (and that was in Manchester). We didn't have any toys. Just give us a bent stick, an old crate and a mail order catalogue and we'd be happy for hours. That were at weekends, mind. During't week, we'd spend t'morning up chimney and t'evening down in't mine. They paid me da tuppence a year, but he were taken by t'great acne pandemic of 1944 ...

United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nonsense Jun 11, 2009

As you say, it is done for consistency. That's all. We live in an e-world. Consistency in good for searching.

The word "ProZ.com" already appears multiple times on every page in this site, which has a presence on Google so prominent that it borders on intrusive. Surely if I choose to write the abbreviated form, that won't keep anyone from finding them.

A site name is also a name and is supposed to be the same in all posts.

That's fine for any documents they generate themselves. But again, I'm not on their payroll and I'm not writing their press releases. I'm writing my messages, which should reflect my writing voice.

I want to put P r o Z

The spacing you use is a rudimentary tradition that originates from typewriters that had only one typeface and no ways to emphasize the text but by spacing it out or underlining. It is bad manners in the e-world.

[Редактировалось 2009-06-11 08:26 GMT]

Not at all. The words I was thinking when I read your message might constitute bad manners. But eccentric spacing is just slightly annoying, and only to a small minority of people. Again, I spaced out the letters because to make my point, I had to type the abbreviated form the the site's name. If I hadn't spaced it out, it would have come out like this: ProZ.com.

[Edited at 2009-06-11 10:01 GMT]

Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Ridiculous but not important Jun 11, 2009

I find it ridiculous and - to a degree - childish, but it's not really important to me one way or the other. There are other policies and strategies pursued by site staff (and site management ?) that bother me a lot more.

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Agree Jun 11, 2009

This very annoying "feature" is at least in place for a year. It has been discussed briefly in another thread: http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/107860-unprofessional_conduct_in_the_discussion_of_questions-page3.html#881335 (off-topic in that thread).

I completely agree that posts shouldn't be altered in this way!

Lutz Molderings  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
welcome to our world, Tony Jun 11, 2009

I couldn't give a monkey's. When I was your age, all we had was a real world.

---
Bart Simpson: What's this George?
George Bush: You know, in my day, little boys didn’t call their elders by their first names.
Bart Simpson: Yeah, well, welcome to the 20th century, George.

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
OK Jun 11, 2009

Steven Capsuto wrote:

I understand that you want uniform branding, but this is ridiculous.

OK, I'll have that turned off.

By the way, I would say that feature has been in existence for about 6 years.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can this annoying new feature be turned off? (auto-editing of site name in forums)

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search