Thread poster: Marie-Hélène Hayles
Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:39
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Cost-effectiveness of this kind of actions is usually not good Jun 17, 2009

Making more requirements mandatory to honest registrants may be more work than they are willing to do (or more information than they are willing to share) at that point, whereas for a spammer it is very simple to pick any valid value for fields marked as required (and privacy of fake data is obviously no concern to them).

Regards,
Enrique

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
So purge the one-night-stands Jun 17, 2009

Enrique wrote:
Making more requirements mandatory to honest registrants may be more work than they are willing to do (or more information than they are willing to share) at that point, whereas for a spammer it is very simple to pick any valid value for fields marked as required (and privacy of fake data is obviously no concern to them).

Then it might be a good idea for the system to automatically purge those records that were opened once, and never used again for, say, 90 days.

IMHO "honest" registrants should at least indicate a language pair in that period, or get purged as well. If they don't have a language pair, or if they don't have the time to click on two items, either they don't have any business at Proz, or they have so much business on their hands that they don't need any more from Proz.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Impact on spammers Jun 17, 2009

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Enrique wrote:

Then it might be a good idea for the system to automatically purge those records that were opened once, and never used again for, say, 90 days.

This would have no impact on the activity of spammers.

Enrique

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:39
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
True Jun 18, 2009

Enrique wrote:

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Enrique wrote:

This would have no impact on the activity of spammers.

Enrique

I've no doubt that spammers create their empty profile and then start spamming mmediately, so I agree that purging empty profiles would have no effect. However, this is why I suggested making people wait a set time before they could contact other users, and also suggested a workaround to enable genuine new users to contact people if they provided full contact details.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:39
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not perceived as a big problem Jun 18, 2009

In any case, judging from the initial comments and the relatively low participation on this thread, it's clearly not perceived as a big problem (and in fact I don't think it's a big problem either, as I've already stated).

So I guess people are generally satisfied with the reactive spam control measures already in place.

Daniel Grau
Daniel Grau  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
Incomplete profiles are unrealized income Jun 19, 2009

I'm referring in particular to KudoZ askers who create blank profiles in order to bypass the five-question daily limit for free members. If they were forced to complete a full profile, they would probably re-evaluate becoming paying members. I understand any web site depends on volume traffic for income, but in this case, imposing restrictions could benefit ProZ.

These duplicate askers can be easily spotted when they post five questions dealing with an unusual field of expertise, fo
... See more
I'm referring in particular to KudoZ askers who create blank profiles in order to bypass the five-question daily limit for free members. If they were forced to complete a full profile, they would probably re-evaluate becoming paying members. I understand any web site depends on volume traffic for income, but in this case, imposing restrictions could benefit ProZ.

These duplicate askers can be easily spotted when they post five questions dealing with an unusual field of expertise, followed by another five questions from a "different" blank profile. Invariably, their user names are single words and often include numbers. When reported and confirmed, the staff deletes the profile and adds "xxx" before the user name.

As for fake profiles being purged, this is falling short of the mark. Case in point, these profiles, one of which has been around since November, 2007:

http://www.proz.com/profile/759604
http://www.proz.com/profile/999565
http://www.proz.com/profile/974071

Regards,

Daniel

PS: Since I posted yesterday those links to the F-word names, those profiles have been quietly removed. So they do read our posts!

[Edited at 2009-06-19 23:23 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Increase info required on registration to make life more difficult for spammers

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »