When I participate in a forum thread (time!) I would like to be notified when it is removed.
Thread poster: Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:54
English to German
+ ...
Jul 1, 2009

Dear colleages,

it was a heated and controversial thread with many interesting posts:

http://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/138754-translator_charges_and_fees_compare_against_other_translators.html

All of a sudden, access to this thread is denied.
It has been bloc
... See more
Dear colleages,

it was a heated and controversial thread with many interesting posts:

http://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/138754-translator_charges_and_fees_compare_against_other_translators.html

All of a sudden, access to this thread is denied.
It has been blocked or removed yesterday, I think.
In my opinion, when a thread (I am not talking about individual posts) is locked, it would be nice to be at least (automatically) notified that the thread "died", with a brief explanation, for example: *The thread was removed because advertising in forums is not allowed.*

What do you think?

Thanks, Aniello
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:24
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Did you check the box for tracking the thread? Jul 1, 2009

If you had done that, I am sure you would defitely have been informed.

Regards,
N. Raghavan

[Edited at 2009-07-01 14:28 GMT]

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 17:54
SITE STAFF
Reason for thread removal issued Jul 1, 2009

Hello Aniello,

I removed the thread, and issued the following message to those who had posted there:

Initial post removed, several others in the thread hidden re: site rules

Hello all,

I'd like to report that several posts in this thread have been removed, as they were not in line with either http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/3#3 or http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/2#2 , including the initial post for the topic. Due to this situation, the thread will be hidden so as to not leave a "headless" topic. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Jared

If you did not receive this notification (sent yesterday, 30 June), please let me or another staff member know via support request to have this properly looked into.

Best regards,

Jared

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, I did not receive this notification... Jul 1, 2009

If you did not receive this notification (sent yesterday, 30 June), ...

Jared

and I know of other colleages involved in the thread who did not receive this notification either.

Thanks, Jared!

Alessandra Martelli (X)
Alessandra Martelli (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Didn't receive the e-mail notification either... Jul 1, 2009

Thanks Jared for explaining us what happened

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Reporting in the thread vs. sending notification to participants Jul 1, 2009

Jared wrote:

Hello Aniello,

I removed the thread, and issued the following message to those who had posted there:

Initial post removed, several others in the thread hidden re: site rules

Hello all,

I'd like to report that several posts in this thread have been removed, as they were not in line with either http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/3#3 or http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/2#2 , including the initial post for the topic. Due to this situation, the thread will be hidden so as to not leave a "headless" topic. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Jared

If you did not receive this notification (sent yesterday, 30 June), please let me or another staff member know via support request to have this properly looked into.

Best regards,

Jared

Jared,

I think this is the message which you posted in the thread itself (and which has been hidden with the rest of it ever since) This message should have been received only by those who were tracking that particular thread. But Aniello suggests something else: to be notified if and when a thread he participates is hidden. (Jared and Aniello, please correct me if I'm wrong with anything so far.)

Now, we cannot track every thread. And you cannot notify everyone - even if notifications can be sent automatically, compiling the list of receivers would be a manual job. And we all know that the site staff has lots of things to do now. Also, I, for one, would be glad if I had a way of knowing it when a thread I was following (not necessarily participated) had been hidden. So, why not leave a note on the URL of a hidden thread, or make visible the last post that announces the decision to hide the thread with reference to the relevant rule? In that case, when we clicked the link -translator_charges_and_fees_compare... we would have all seen your message above now, instead of an empty page, and everyone would be happy

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Perfect, Özden! Thank you! Jul 1, 2009

It's slightly "frustrating" to click a link and see an empty page

I second your suggestion to leave a note on the URL of a hidden thread, or make visible the last post that announces the decision to hide the thread with reference to the relevant rule! Good idea!

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Good one, Özden Jul 1, 2009

First, sorry all for the confusion here-- this was my fault. I (erroneously) assumed that those participating in the thread were also tracking it, as Özden indicates.

The idea you mention Özden has been proposed before, and is on the list of improvements for the forums. This would leave a "footprint" in place of both threads and singular posts which have been removed, with an indication of the site rule under which they were removed, or if they were removed by the poster's reques
... See more
First, sorry all for the confusion here-- this was my fault. I (erroneously) assumed that those participating in the thread were also tracking it, as Özden indicates.

The idea you mention Özden has been proposed before, and is on the list of improvements for the forums. This would leave a "footprint" in place of both threads and singular posts which have been removed, with an indication of the site rule under which they were removed, or if they were removed by the poster's request, etc.

Sending notification to each participant in a thread which is removed is also possible. The general practice until now (neglected by yours truly in this case) has been to contact each poster individually to explain why the thread needed to be removed.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Yes, that would definitely make sense Jul 1, 2009

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:

It's slightly "frustrating" to click a link and see an empty page

I second your suggestion to leave a note on the URL of a hidden thread, or make visible the last post that announces the decision to hide the thread with reference to the relevant rule! Good idea!

and not the other way round: write a post and hide immediately the thread without anybody being able to understand what happened.

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Indeed it has Jul 1, 2009

Jared wrote:

The idea you mention Özden has been proposed before, and is on the list of improvements for the forums. This would leave a "footprint" in place of both threads and singular posts which have been removed, with an indication of the site rule under which they were removed, or if they were removed by the poster's request, etc.

Long time ago, by Gianfranco Manca - hoping that my memory doesn't fail me here.
Good to know that it is on the list, though

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can be implemented in the twinkling of an eye Jul 1, 2009

Jared wrote:

The idea you mention Özden has been proposed before, and is on the list of improvements for the forums.

Jared

Jared: Leaving an appropriate message instead of a blank page is something that can be implemented in next to no time.

Why is it "on the list"?

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
On the improvement list Jul 1, 2009

Hello Aniello,

The message itself can be implemented in a twinkling, no doubt. The system for leaving messages would take slightly longer, but you are correct, the act of implementing it is probably not very time consuming in of itself.

The simple answer is that the list of improvements is a long one, and priorities are set for each. Care is taken to map out an improvement before implementing it. Not all improvements can be made immediately, but I think that nowadays th
... See more
Hello Aniello,

The message itself can be implemented in a twinkling, no doubt. The system for leaving messages would take slightly longer, but you are correct, the act of implementing it is probably not very time consuming in of itself.

The simple answer is that the list of improvements is a long one, and priorities are set for each. Care is taken to map out an improvement before implementing it. Not all improvements can be made immediately, but I think that nowadays they are being made with greater speed and quality. Rest assured that a system like the one proposed, which will help avoid confusion and would also save me time (and embarrassment in this case) will be done as soon as is possible.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

Anne Spitzmueller
Anne Spitzmueller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
No notification Jul 1, 2009

Hello,

I posted in the thread and also tracked it but didn't receive any notifications about hiding the thread.

I was quite annoyed when I found out that the thread was not there anymore because I spent time and effort on arguing against the original poster's views ...

Anne

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 08:54
Chinese to English
clarification on 'headless topics' Jul 1, 2009

Jared wrote:
Hello all,

Best regards,

Jared

Hello Jared, re: ‘Headless topic':

Just to clarify, I take it that not all threads with 'headless' topics are removed, only some. In other words, it depends on the circumstances, am I right. That is I know of a situation recently where one seemed to function quite OK after the initiator deleted the entire content of their first post.

Lesley

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Topics with no topics Jul 2, 2009

Hello Lesley,

A thread which for some reason is left without its topic post should be removed, since what would be left is basically a topic-less topic (e.g., a thread of answers without the initial question).

Best regards,

Jared

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When I participate in a forum thread (time!) I would like to be notified when it is removed.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »