Thread poster: Stanislaw Czech, MCIL

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:44
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Jul 4, 2009

I think that it would be great to know how many people were interested in particular article - it would be beneficial both to a writer of a particular article as well as to people considering writing articles on simmilar subjects.

Cheers

Stanislaw

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-07-05 11:04 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Niraja Nanjundan  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:14
German to English
Good idea Jul 5, 2009

Hi Stanislaw,

I actually suggested something along these lines a *looooong* time ago. My suggestion was that articles could be graded on a scale of 1 to 5 (5, the highest, 1 the lowest) and the number of readers could also be indicated in this way for example:

"This article has been graded 4.5 by 100 readers."

I think the article knowledgebase is one of the most neglected areas of the site, although it is a very important one - all the attention is on jobs and KudoZ. People should be encouraged to contribute more interesting and useful articles and this area should also undergo continuous development.

Best regards,
Niraja

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:44
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Actually, if you really want to spice up the article section... Jul 5, 2009

there are other things that could be added. I like the idea of a view counter, though perhaps one that is available privately to the author. A "most popular" list rotating among the top 50 or so (based on whatever views/period criteria seem appropriate) might be interesting.

On the whole, however, there needs to be a significant upgrade to the quality and quantity of articles and their availability in other languages. Having researched similar situations on other portals (which have nothing to do with the translation markets), I suggest something like providing a cut of the AdSense revenue off a given article page to the author(s). Add a twist that authors can grant translation permissions to others who would then make that content available in another language and share in the percentage paid according to some appropriate scheme. "Payouts" can be made through the ProZ "wallet" mechanism, which doesn't seem to have much use other than crediting (without interest) any past overpayments for membership.

Wea ren't talking big bucks here I'm sure, but this is relatively trivial to administer and might motivate more and better contributions to the article base.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What about a visitor counter for translation articles

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search