Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
improving proz.com
Thread poster: xxxr_cantillo

xxxr_cantillo  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:19
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 20, 2009

I'm actually quite happy being a full member apart from: whenever I send out messages to potential jobs whcih might interest me I only rarely get any kind of answer; I don't always have time to check the blueboard etc as I am a part-time freelance translator and I teach full-time. I really do believe moreover that more must be done about making the job searching option better (i.e. if I select Italian>English I shouldn't get emails for jobs in Spanish or French). the other thing is really about the name itself: some of my best collegues and friends have real problems about the network being named thus ('proz') and it often (whenever I talk about it) invites sneering comments hinting at some rude implication behind the 'proz' name..it might be of interest to you guys, as I feel any professional community should not be attacked or shunned because of it name, in fact any name (company, network or else) should promote affiliation and not discourage it!

i am being really honest and maybe a bit dumb in writing this post but these are my feelings re: how to improve proz.com, regards,

Raffaella Cantillo

Tina Vonhof
Canada
Local time: 13:19
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
New friends? Aug 20, 2009

As for not getting a reply to job applications, this is quite common. It would be nice to hear something, even if you didn't get the job, but I think outsourcers generally don't have time for that. Don't let it discourage you from applying. Make sure your profile and resumé are the best they can be and someday you may be just the right person for the job.

As for the name 'Proz', what do your friends think are the 'rude implications' behind it? I don't see anything wrong with the name, nor have I ever heard anyone else complain about it. Maybe you need some new friends?

Daniel Šebesta  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
Blue Board, notification settings Aug 20, 2009

r_cantillo wrote:
I don't always have time to check the blueboard etc

This really is a pity. Checking the Blue Board briefly before accepting a job won't take you more than a minute and can spare you a lot of time later and help avoid high risk of not being paid.

r_cantillo wrote:
I really do believe moreover that more must be done about making the job searching option better (i.e. if I select Italian>English I shouldn't get emails for jobs in Spanish or French).

Have you checked the settings of your e-mail notifications? This should not be happening if your settings are accurate.

r_cantillo wrote:
the other thing is really about the name itself: some of my best collegues and friends have real problems about the network being named thus ('proz') and it often (whenever I talk about it) invites sneering comments hinting at some rude implication behind the 'proz' name..it might be of interest to you guys, as I feel any professional community should not be attacked or shunned because of it name, in fact any name (company, network or else) should promote affiliation and not discourage it!

What is the rude implication behind the name? Please tell me. I'm not a native speaker of English but no connotation hidden behind this name has ever been pointed out to me.

D.

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:19
French to English
Slang Aug 20, 2009

Daniel Šebesta wrote:

What is the rude implication behind the name? Please tell me. I'm not a native speaker of English but no connotation hidden behind this name has ever been pointed out to me.

Pro is slang (or indeed merely an abbreviation!) for prostitute. Ever since I first joined, I have thought it was an unfortunate choice of name, but like a great deal of slang, it is far from universal, so one assumes the the site founder had never come across the word used in this way.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Brand Testing Aug 20, 2009

"Pro is slang (or indeed merely an abbreviation!) for prostitute."

Hmmm... that is exactly why companies check with people from different countries, including translators, to make sure that any brand names, slogans, etc. used in a country do not have some sort of derogatory, negative or double meaning in that country's language or culture.

In the USA they are called "Hos", but I have never heard "Pros" although some surely are, and good ones at that!

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:19
English to French
+ ...
[off topic] Hilarious! Aug 20, 2009

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Pro is slang (or indeed merely an abbreviation!) for prostitute.

This made me laugh out so loud it's not even funny! Seriously!!! Talk about unfortunate...

David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pro = professional Aug 21, 2009

Charlie Bavington wrote:

That is absolutely NOT the first thing that comes to mind, at least not mine.

French to English
Er, y-e-s, that much had not escaped me Aug 21, 2009

David Russi wrote:

Charlie Bavington wrote:

That is absolutely NOT the first thing that comes to mind, at least not mine.

I suppose reading it back, especially in isolation, could give the impression that I am of the opinion that pro can only mean (or most often means) prostitute, or that my mind is somehow fixated on matters carnal, which it is not. However, I did quote the context, which should have made it reasonably clear that we were talking about possible "rude implications" of the word pro, not every possible meaning the word may have. Please consider my comment to be preceded by "One possible meaning of...", especially if it helps contain moral indignation.

[Edited at 2009-08-21 01:40 GMT]

David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
No moral indignation here... Aug 21, 2009

Charlie Bavington wrote:

especially if it helps contain moral indignation.

[Edited at 2009-08-21 01:40 GMT]

That really cracked me up... you are definitely not talking to a moralists here, the emphasis was simply because the context, the use, the big captal Z at the end, everything about ProZ would not, in my opinion, lead to any such misinterpretation, that's all.

Thanks for the chuckle, I needed it!

xxxPRen
Canada
Local time: 16:19
French to English
+ ...
And... Aug 21, 2009

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Daniel Šebesta wrote:

Pro is slang (or indeed merely an abbreviation!) for prostitute. Ever since I first joined, I have thought it was an unfortunate choice of name, but like a great deal of slang, it is far from universal, so one assumes the the site founder had never come across the word used in this way.

Isn't translation the second oldest profession?

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
German to Serbian
+ ...
Laughs Aug 21, 2009

I haven't been aware of such an abbreviation.icon_lol.gif

I've heard of " ho's" , like Henry has suggested, but not of pro's.

( Laughs )

Irene McClure
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Prose Aug 21, 2009

I too had been aware of the seedy implications of "pros" - maybe this is a UK English term (the term 'hos' isn't used in the UK)?

But, regardless, I have always liked the site name, not least because it (for me) is a play on words - both 'Pros' as in 'Professionals' and also 'prose' as in a piece of text.

French to English
Drifting slighty off-topic.... Aug 21, 2009

... in the interests of linguistic information

savtrad wrote:

I too had been aware of the seedy implications of "pros" - maybe this is a UK English term (the term 'hos' isn't used in the UK)?

The influence of RnB (in the modern sense) and hip-hop and suchlike means that people (particularly the young) in the UK are familiar with "ho" (from whore) although whenever I hear it, I can't help but think of gardeningicon_smile.gif

I am getting the distinct impression that, as you suggest, the use of "pro" to mean woman of easy virtue or indeed prostitute does appear to be a UK thing, or at least, not at all common in North America.

Nonetheless, I imagine the chances of Henry changing the website name at this stage must be somewhere between slim and nil!

Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pro(fessions) Aug 21, 2009

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Daniel Šebesta wrote:

You mean we are all actually being associated with not the second oldest profession in the world, but rather the first one?icon_frown.gif

Oh my God, it's a good thing I changed soon enough my username to an abbreviation. Maybe I ought to change it even further to something like "Belle du mot" or something like that... (with my apologies to my admired Catherine Deneuve, as well as the late Luis Buñuel...).

Henry D, please, what were you thinking??? And all this time I thought your username change to "Henry D" was more to make it sound like "The Waltons"...

icon_wink.gif

P.S.: thanks, Charlie, for the linguistic tip. I also had no idea about this slang meaning in the UK.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Have you been to call girl sites lately? Aug 21, 2009

Charlie Bavington wrote:

That may be, but no-one who knows what a call girl site typically looks like will think for even one second that ProZ.com is a prostitution site, when they visit it. I'd give example URLs here but I don't want my post removed.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

improving proz.com

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search