CV upload should allow files GREATER than 250 KB (Staff: max size raised to 2MB for full members)
Thread poster: Ángel Domínguez

Ángel Domínguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:52
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 29, 2009

The profile has proven really useful when it comes to acting as a source of information for potential new clients, CV feature included.

BUT! (and it's a big but)... The file size limitation for the CV is anachronistic and outrageous, especially for us paying members.

I took plenty of time to create the layout of my CV, and ~250 KB is nowhere near enough; my latest revision has some images of magazines and TV ads for which I have done translation work, and the file size is almost 500 KB; even that is a very reasonable file size for a PDF file using custom typefaces, a vector logotype and bitmap images.

To be clear: paying members (if not everyone) should be allowed to upload CVs even greater than 1 or 2 MB, for crying out loud.

What do you think?

Ángel.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-09-02 14:44 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:52
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Aug 29, 2009

I support Ángel's point of view.

Thank you Ángel.

Jared Tabor
Local time: 03:52
SITE STAFF
Sounds reasonable Aug 29, 2009

Thanks Ángel for proposing this. Let me see what can be done.

Best regards,

Jared

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:52
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Excellent idea Aug 29, 2009

250 KB is enough for a basic CV but more space would allow to include some scanned references, pictures, and many other things someone may come up with.

Thank you for pointing it out Ángel

Stanislaw

Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nice Aug 29, 2009

Thank you Jared for your understanding, I hope you can set a change in motion.
See, the CV that is currently in my Proz profile is not the latest version because of the file size limitation, and I even had to work my magic with Acrobat Pro to squeeze a few bytes so that it would fit. But my recently updated CV is 400+ KB, and I would say it's impossible to bring it down to 250 KB without leaving the images so compressed that it wouldn't make much sense to keep them. I am also a designer and spent many hours polishing the details of my CV so that it can accommodate the needed typographies, a logo, my photograph and images of selected projects, so it's frustrating to have to cripple it for a limitation in size, or not being able to upload it at all.
Please keep us posted on any developments.

And thanks everyone for your comments!

Ángel.

Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Maximum CV size increased for members Sep 2, 2009

Hello again,

Okay Ángel, can you try now? The maximum CV file size for full members has been raised to 2 MB (partial members may upload a file size of 1 MB). Let me know if you have any problems or need help with it.

Best regards,

Jared

Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nice! Sep 2, 2009

Works fine for me (Safari 4.0.3 here).

Thanks for listening and taking the time to actually implement this for members.
Regards from Spain,

Ángel.

Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Great Sep 2, 2009

That's good to hear. And congrats on that CV, it looks great!

Jared

Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 2, 2009

Now you see what I was talking about all that effort put into the design would have gone to waste otherwise.
Glad you liked it.

Ángel.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CV upload should allow files GREATER than 250 KB (Staff: max size raised to 2MB for full members)

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search