Name and country of residence of person/agency posting a job in e-mail notifications, please?
Thread poster: Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:20
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Sep 1, 2009

Would it be possible to add the name and the country of residence of the person/agency/outsourcer posting the job in the e-mails sent as notification? There are many agencies I would not want to work for, for different reasons, and I find a waste of time having to click on the link to check who's posted the job... most of the times, I'm not interested. Any chance?

Direct link Reply with quote

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:20
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Agree with Giovanni Sep 1, 2009

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Would it be possible to add the name and the country of residence of the person/agency/outsourcer posting the job in the e-mails sent as notification? There are many agencies I would not want to work for, for different reasons, and I find a waste of time having to click on the link to check who's posted the job... most of the times, I'm not interested. Any chance?

There was a time when all these information which Giovanni suggested were listed in the job notification which we received. I wonder why Proz has stopped doing that. I agree to Giovanni that I also have some agencies which I would not like to work for for different reasons, and it is a real waste of time and energy clicking each time to check who posted the jobs and find out to be one of those uninvited agencies or outsourcers. Can't the site staff resume that service again?

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Agree Sep 1, 2009

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Absolutely agree. Last week I was contacted by an agency via the Proz directory, offering much less than my usual rate for medical translations, so I turned down their offer of collaboration. This morning a Proz job came through, looking for English medical translators for long-term co-operation (on the face of it, exactly the kind of thing I'm interested in). I had to waste time clicking through to the site only to find out that this was the agency that had contacted me last week.

Had the name of the agency been given in the email, I could have used those moments to do something useful or amusing.

Country of residence alone is not useful information, but the name of the agency/outsourcer, possibly along with the country and possibly town/region (in case there are several entities with similar names) certainly is. I recall that such information used to be contained in job emails and I would be interested to hear why it was removed.

Rosa Diez Tagarro  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:20
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
completely agree Sep 1, 2009

Nice of you to point this out, Giovanni. I keep forgetting to do so myself, although I've often wondered about the reasons for this change.

It is true that such information used to be included in the job notifications we receive and I wish it was included again. I found it very useful. As remarked, I wouldn't click on certain jobs if I knew the name of the poster beforehand, so it saves precious time.

Have a nice week!

Rosa

Amy Duncan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:20
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Yes Sep 1, 2009

Thanks, Giovanni...excellent idea.

Rebekka Groß  Identity Verified
English to German
Good idea, but... Sep 1, 2009

...why not specify your rate - it does not have to be public - and avoid notifications of jobs for rates lower than you are willing to accept?

I've just contributed the following to another of today's forum threads but think it may be of interest here as well.

In your job notifications setting, right at the bottom of the page there's a box titled Settings for both classic and Connect jobs. In the Rates section, there is a I wish to receive notifications only for jobs where the outsourcer has specified rates checkbox.

I've not actually ticked this box but since I've specified my minimum word and hourly rates (not shown in my profile), the following information also appears: You will not be notified of jobs where the offered rate is below the minimum rate specified for each language pair above. To apply your default rate to all language pairs, click "edit default rates" above.

This prevents me from receiving notifications for jobs with rates lower than mine.

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
yes but Sep 1, 2009

Rebekka Groß wrote:

...why not specify your rate - it does not have to be public - and avoid notifications of jobs for rates lower than you are willing to accept?

I've done that, but as this agency specified the rate in the free text field and left the "rate" field blank, it didn't work in this case.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
yep... Sep 1, 2009

doesn't always work and so it's even more frustrating...

Rebekka Groß  Identity Verified
English to German
@Angela and Giovanni Sep 1, 2009

Ah, now I understand - how annoying indeed.

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Traffic? Sep 1, 2009

Angela Dickson wrote:
I recall that such information used to be contained in job emails and I would be interested to hear why it was removed.

Subtle way to make sure you visit the website every day (or most days)?
Which means that the site can claim it gets audited figures of x thousand visitors per day (a figure boosted by those who visit after clicking email links) and charge advertisers accordingly?

Although knowing this place, it could just as easily be a bug.

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
In any case... Sep 1, 2009

It's not just a question of rates. Word gets around about unprofessional/unreliable agencies, and I want to know from the email which agency is posting a job, so I know whether I can ignore it and move on to more productive activity.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
you might be right... Sep 1, 2009

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Angela Dickson wrote:
I recall that such information used to be contained in job emails and I would be interested to hear why it was removed.

Subtle way to make sure you visit the website every day (or most days)?
Which means that the site can claim it gets audited figures of x thousand visitors per day (a figure boosted by those who visit after clicking email links) and charge advertisers accordingly?

Although knowing this place, it could just as easily be a bug.

maybe it is indeed a matter of acquiring more traffic (and clicks)... I never understood why the details were removed in the first place... in fact, I think the reason why I also find it very irritating is that I remember being able to see them in the past... and now, everytime I get an e-mail I try and look them up. It's an automatic thing... Talk about Pavlov's dog...

Alejandro Cavalitto
Local time: 10:20
SITE STAFF
This will be looked into Sep 1, 2009

Hello all,

I wanted to call your attention to http://www.proz.com/post/1185631#1185631 and http://www.proz.com/post/1187138#1187138 , where Lucía explained why the name of the job poster was removed from job notifications.

Including certain information on the job posted in the notifications sent out is a reasonable request, but in order to protect contact information, a scheme in which this information is sent only to those who will be able to see it in the actual jobs (those who meet the criteria to quote on the job) will need to be worked out before this can be implemented. This may take some time to be properly designed. Thanks in advance for your patience while this is looked into.

Best regards,

Alejandro Cavalitto
ProZ.com Staff

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
ok... Sep 1, 2009

thanks! It would be helpful... and I missed the other thread... I was on holiday....

[Edited at 2009-09-01 19:22 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Name and country of residence of person/agency posting a job in e-mail notifications, please?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search