Automatic post tracking
Thread poster: Anil Gidwani

Anil Gidwani  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 11:53
German to English
+ ...
Oct 3, 2009

Facebook has an interesting feature that would be quite useful in ProZ as well.

Once you post a reply to any topic, you are automatically notified by e-mail of all further posts on that topic. This is true of all topics you post to, and not just topics you start (in which case ProZ does provide automatic notifications).

If implemented, this would eliminate the need to explicitly mark topics for e-mail notification. I'm not sure there isn't already a way to do this, but I don't believe so. I request ProZ to consider adding this feature if not already in place somewhere.

Direct link Reply with quote

Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Tracking forum threads Oct 3, 2009

Hello Anil,

Note that you can chose to receive notifications for each post in any thread, even if you are not the topic starter or if you have not participated in the discussion.

To track a thread, simply select the "This topic-- all posts" option to the left of the thread and click the "Save changes" button.

To stop tracking a thread, simply de-select the option you have chosen, and click on the "Save changes" button.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Lucia

India
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But one still needs to explicitly take this action Oct 3, 2009

Thanks, Lucia.

But my point was, if I post to a thread, the option "This topic - all posts" should automatically get enabled without me having to explicitly do so. It's quite a convenience not having to do so every single time one posts to a new thread.

Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Thanks for clarifying, Anil. Oct 3, 2009

However, note that not all forum participants may want to be notified via email of new posts made in a thread they participated. Rather, some forum users prefer to track a thread by checking new posts directly in the site from time to time.

And even if this was provided as an option (to have the automatic thread tracking 'On' or 'Off'), note that users may still want to have tracking de-activated for some threads while activated for others. So, the feature would work more or less as the thread tracking option available now.

Hope this explains.

Regards,

Lucia

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:23
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Idea was already brought up Oct 4, 2009

The option to get notifications of subsequent postings when we post to a thread was brought up recently in another thread (click here to see that thread)
This is suggestion #2 in the original posting.

[Edited at 2009-10-04 18:05 GMT]

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
This would be quite different Oct 4, 2009

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

The option to get notifications of subsequent postings when we post to a thread was brought up recently in another thread (click here to see that thread)

I rarely subscribe to threads, but I would like to get a notification if someone quoted one of my posts. Probably, I have missed some of them as I didn't.

India
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not quite the same Oct 5, 2009

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

[Edited at 2009-10-04 18:05 GMT]

Hi Katalin,

#2 of that thread says

2. give me the option to opt in/out of notifications when I post a reply

That's not quite what I'm requesting: I want to always receive notifications after I post a reply in any thread without having to opt in (The option to opt out could still be useful).

This saves me from having to enable the flag for each thread I post in. It is also, by the way, how Facebook treats forum posts. In my opinion, most people continue to participate in threads they've posted in, if only passively by reading further posts. They may or may not participate in threads they have not posted in.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Automatic post tracking

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search