Different points given to harder/easier questions on KudoZ (T)
Thread poster: Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:59
German to Italian
+ ...
Oct 27, 2003

Hi everybody,
there's one thing I don't understand about KudoZ points: why should answers to easy questions and difficult questions be awarded in the same way? I think it would be better to give, say, max. 2 points for easy questions and max. 4 points for difficult ones. Sorry if this topic has been already posted. Bye

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-02 20:24]

Direct link Reply with quote

giogi
Local time: 19:59
Ciao Lorenzo Oct 27, 2003

Secondo me la differenza tra "easy" e "pro" non sta nel livello di difficoltà, ma nella specializzazione che il richiedente chiede.
Mettiamo caso che io abbia una richiesta per cui vorrei avere più risposte possibili e da più colleghi possibile; allora inserisco la mia richiesta come easy. Certe richieste non sono legate a specializzazioni partiicolari, ma a competenze generali.
CREDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!Un beso
Giovanna

Alexandru Pojoga
Romania
Local time: 21:59
Japanese to English
+ ...
I disagree Oct 27, 2003

That would create a difference of 'respectability' between Easy and Pro and some translators may not feel so inclined to answer the easy ones.

-- which may not be easy at, since the asker can't know for sure.

(this whole separation into easy and pro seems very arbitrary to me)

giogi
Pardon... Oct 28, 2003

[quote]Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

but there is no strict line dividing them.
Therefore there has been option to change Easy to Pro and vice versa.
We can broadly classify terms easily found in common dictionaries or some small dictionaries as Easy. or expertise may be classified as Pro.

What do you mean by commom or small dictionaries?
Actually I think that we usually answer a lot of would-be-pro questions which, in reality, are easy-easy-easy ones.
The reasons are manifold: sometimes our colleagues don't have enough time to check either on a dictionary or the Internet, or they just need a confirmation...
According to which "professional" criteria can we evaluate anybody's professional skills on the basis of a question posted?
Come on...Don't make Proz.com become a bullring!!!

[Edited at 2003-10-28 10:56]

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Some 'easy' questions take a real pro to answer them... Oct 28, 2003

Some of the so-called easy questions are not at all easy when it comes to the point - and five or six answers come in with various levels of 'agree' or 'disagree' and comments. They call for someone with a real knowledge of the language and the subtle shades of meaning in the way a word is used...

Some of the 'pro' questions are more 'black or white'. Easy - if you happen to be an expert in the right field, but the man on the street may have no idea what it is.

There are dozens of terms in IT like that, where you know, or have a good dictionary and know where to check, or you are completely lost.

I don't think one kind is better than the other, but maybe some askers should think a little more before just gratefully giving four Kudoz points to the first person who answers...

Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you all Oct 28, 2003

CRAndersen wrote:

I don't think one kind is better than the other, but maybe some askers should think a little more before just gratefully giving four Kudoz points to the first person who answers...

You have a point. By the way, I don't think it's a matter of "respectability": I know there's not really a border between easy and pro questions, but it's a fact that not all questions are equally difficult. And in some cases, the answer to a question can be found in any dictionary in just a few seconds. So why bother to lose 5 minutes to answer a pro question if you can easily get 4 points for a quick answer to a very easy question? However, I recognize that in some cases it would be arbitrary to decide if a question is easy or pro. Anyway, thank you all for your contribution.

giogi
that's what Oct 28, 2003

[quote]CRAndersen wrote:

Some of the so-called easy questions are not at all easy when it comes to the point - and five or six answers come in with various levels of 'agree' or 'disagree' and comments. They call for someone with a real knowledge of the language and the subtle shades of meaning in the way a word is used...

I meant in my first post...but unfortunately I wroteit in Italian!!!!Anyway, I agree with you, definitely!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Different points given to harder/easier questions on KudoZ (T)

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search