Thread poster: Susan Welsh

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:50
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Jan 15, 2010

This feature is not very useful to me, because of the bad links. There is a "check links" page that has not been updated since 2005:
http://www.proz.com/glosspost?show_mode=linkcheck

It would be good if a user who finds a bad link could easily flag it for deletion, or for the original poster to fix, if they are still around and care to do so.

Also, I have often had the experience of doing a "strict" search and coming up with all sorts of unrelated glossaries, which make the whole thing very tedious and time-consuming.

Any improvements would be good, for what should be a very helpful feature of the site.

Susan

Direct link Reply with quote

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:50
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Suggested improvements Jan 15, 2010

Thank you, Susan, for bringing up this subject. (For those who are not familiar with GlossPost, here is the FAQ link.

I agree: this resource could be tremendously useful – and better known than it is now. With about 7000 glossaries listed, there is quite a lot of material already included. Extending the list would be certainly make it more valuable. But correcting existing problems would be even more advantageous. For both, active user participation seems necessary to me.

So, as a first step, we could list in this thread the problems encountered. Let me take over your points, and add my suggestions.

Fixing bad links: link corruption is a major issue; perhaps an extra field should be added: This link is OK; this link is not OK. When a user clicks on "not OK", an additional field appears, where a correct link can be specified. (Side issue: how such modifications should become effective? Who can approve such a request? Staff, GlossPost admins and moderators, or a larger set of users?)

Better classification -- absolutely. Let's try to collect when classification does not work.

When I look for French to English glossary and specify the field physics, there are very good resources, that show up, e.g., Spectroscopie, spectroscopy (Isabelle Stevenson)
http://nte-serveur.univ-lyon1.fr/spectroscopie/dicofranca.
. However, I also get

1.) Glosary on Trade Financing Terms (Priscilla) http://www.intracen.org/tfs/docs/glossary/ae.htm. Why does this one come up? Perhaps the radio button "All" was selected? (Or physics added explicitly?) While it is possible to remove this hit from the search result by using the "strict" checkbox, it should not show up in the first place, as it does not seem to be a general glossary at all. User's feedback on incorrect classification could be improved by adding a "This glossary is properly classified: Yes/No" option. Users could vote, and the number of Yes/No votes could be shown. This could be a useful guide to the other users.

2.) Macedonian Dictionaries (IDIVIDI), http://www.idividi.com.mk/recnik. There is a problem with the language pairs involved: anything to Macedonian and Macedonian to anything. So, if you make a list of all source languages, you will get any language, and the same applies to the target languages. That is, French is among the source languages, and English is among the target languages. This seems to be interpreted in such a way as if French to English were among the covered language pairs. The easiest way out is that users select target languages one by one in such cases.

Finally, a feedback option on the usefulness of the glossary in question could be helpful. Of course, when the glossary is updated, the comment may become less relevant -- but still better than no comment at all.

Kind regards,
Attila

Edited to modify suggestion about improper classification.

[Edited at 2010-01-16 13:51 GMT]

Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:50
Italian to English
+ ...
Not sure this is the best method to resolve bad links... Jan 15, 2010

Attila Piróth wrote:
So, as a first step, we could list in this thread the problems encountered. Let me take over your points, and add my suggestions.

I'm not sure a forum thread is the best place for trying to get bad links corrected.

Can you imagine how long the thread would get? So long that eventually no one would bother checking anymore.

I would think a better solution would be to actually get Proz staff to check for bad links on the back end and note as such in each bad glossary listing, not necessarily remove them. That way, we're flagged of the bad link and if we know of a correct link, we can correct it.

This should be fairly easy, yet probably a bit time consuming, for Proz to do.

R.
==

[Edited at 2010-01-15 22:38 GMT]

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:50
English to Hungarian
+ ...
@ Rick Jan 16, 2010

Rick Henry wrote:

Attila Piróth wrote:

I'm not sure a forum thread is the best place for trying to get bad links corrected.

Hi Rick,

I did not suggest collecting bad links in a forum thread. I suggested listing all the different kinds of problems related to GlossPost and ideas to improve it. Fixing bad links is one type of problem. My suggestion on how to handle bad links was this:

Attila Piróth wrote:
Fixing bad links: link corruption is a major issue; perhaps an extra field should be added: This link is OK; this link is not OK. When a user clicks on "not OK", an additional field appears, where a correct link can be specified. (Side issue: how such modifications should become effective? Who can approve such a request? Staff, GlossPost admins and moderators, or a larger set of users?)

Cheers,
Attila

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:50
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some examples Jan 16, 2010

I searched for DE-EN (strict), Psychology (strict), and of the top 7-8 hits, only 2 were remotely relevant. The others were:

helpi.pl - Polish, no DE-EN
megaslownik.pl/slownik - same
oldwww.nlib.ee/termin/eng - bad link Purports to be about libraries, so I doubt it would be relevant anyway.
sztaki. hu - Hungarian, no DE-EN
online.multilex.ru - Russian general dictionary, no DE-EN, not specific to psychology at all. (I don't think the others above are either, but since I don't know the languages, I didn't bother trying to figure that out.)

Susan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Glosspost

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search