Credential verification for other accreditations (D)
Thread poster: Antonella Andreella
Antonella Andreella  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:53
German to Italian
+ ...
Nov 29, 2003

Dear all,

I think we have a problem with credentials verification and their value on ProZ freelance directory.

An outsourcer looking for let's say and de/en>it translator leaving in Italy and credentials verified simply can't find any.
No Platinum Members at all matching these search parameters!

I guess the same happens with other language combinations too.

Does this mean that in Proz there are no translators translating en/de>it leaving in Italy and with credentials? Of course not.

Nevertheless I think that the fact ProZ isn't able to verify credentials other than ATA's and the likes actually has negative effects on translators which are not ATA accredited.

I think this is an issue which should be addressed somehow, either modifying the credentials verification procedure or abolishing it.

What do you think?

Greetings
Antonella

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-02 19:56]

Direct link Reply with quote

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
FAQ Nov 29, 2003

Antonella Andreella wrote:

Nevertheless I think that the fact ProZ isn't able to verify credentials other than ATA's and the likes actually has negative effects on translators which are not ATA accredited.

There is a procedure to verify credentials http://www.proz.com/?sp=faq#credential_verified and it is not limited to ATA only. All what is necessary is to mail or e-mail copies of diplomas together with their English translation into the address given in the FAQ and file a support request. I think most of translators listed in the directory simply haven't done it

Magda

Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Magda Nov 29, 2003

but actually I applied a year ago, more or less, and in vain and I'm not the only one.

The point is that ProZ can't verify degrees or similar certificates other than ATA's or a few others. And this not a problem in itself, apart from the fact that one might have excellent credentials which are not ATA's or the likes and that in ProZ freelance directory only very very very few translators have verified credentials.
As a result outsourcers looking for translators with verified credentials only find very few, though this does not necessarily correspond to the real state of things.

An example? What about translators working in language pairs which do not include English?
Antonella

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Now I see... Nov 29, 2003

yes, Antonella, I think initially I failed to see your point.

However, your comment and suggestion has been noted, so hopefully a solution will be found.
Have a great weekend,

Magda

Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same to you Nov 29, 2003

thanks Magda

Antonella

xxxncfialho  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:53
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Unfortunatley not always true... Nov 30, 2003

I have seen credentials here on Proz of a institution which DOESNNT have any form of credentialization (Sorry dont know the correct word) like the APT, the portuguese translator association,...I am memeber I called them and asked how I could obtain these credential and the pressident told me "there are no credentials you can obtain through APT" and there are some Proz memebrs who, however have this credential that simply doesnt exist...so I have my doubts about this system....
Greetings,
Natália

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:53
German to English
+ ...
Should be in memberships Dec 2, 2003

Natália Fialho wrote:

I have seen credentials here on Proz of a institution which DOESNNT have any form of credentialization (Sorry dont know the correct word) like the APT, the portuguese translator association,...I am memeber I called them and asked how I could obtain these credential and the pressident told me "there are no credentials you can obtain through APT" and there are some Proz memebrs who, however have this credential that simply doesnt exist...so I have my doubts about this system....
Greetings,
Natália

These should be listed under memberships shouldn't they, not credentials. Maybe there is a misunderstanding about the difference. I have my ATA membership listed under "Memberships" because I am not accredited by them and my MA under "Credentials" because I passed my professional exams.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Credential verification for other accreditations (D)

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search