Freelancer Directory Search Suggestions (P)
Thread poster: Jason Roberts
Jason Roberts  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:37
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nov 30, 2003

I know that things relating to the 'native speaker' issue are controversial here on Proz.com. However, I have placed a number of projects through the freelancer directory, and have come across an issue that I think would be helpful for those looking to place jobs.

What I would like to suggest is to add an option to search for people who have indicated that their native language is the same as the target language that a search was performed under. This would appear with the additional search options like credentials, country, software. Another option would be to have some sort of indication in the preliminary search results, an icon of some sort perhaps or a check in a new 'native speaker' column, when a reported native language matches the target loanguage of the search.

As it is now one has to go through all the search results individually and look at each translator to determine whether their native language is the target language or not.

One more note, why does 'field' default to tech/engineering on the initial freelancer search? This is a field that not all translators will express expertise in, yet it is the default choice for searches. I think that most searchers don't choose a particular field, but just the relevant language pair. My evidence? My text add for Tech/Engineering has been viewed far more than my other ads, but most of the jobs I have been offered via my Proz page have been in other topical areas. Could the default be blank, returning everyone with a proficiency in that pair in any field, or barring that "other"?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-02 15:19]

Direct link Reply with quote

Lamprini Kosma  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:37
English to Greek
+ ...
Useful suggestions Dec 1, 2003

Jason Roberts wrote:

I know that things relating to the 'native speaker' issue are controversial here on Proz.com. However, I have placed a number of projects through the freelancer directory, and have come across an issue that I think would be helpful for those looking to place jobs.

What I would like to suggest is to add an option to search for people who have indicated that their native language is the same as the target language that a search was performed under. This would appear with the additional search options like credentials, country, software. Another option would be to have some sort of indication in the preliminary search results, an icon of some sort perhaps or a check in a new 'native speaker' column, when a reported native language matches the target loanguage of the search.

As it is now one has to go through all the search results individually and look at each translator to determine whether their native language is the target language or not.

One more note, why does 'field' default to tech/engineering on the initial freelancer search? This is a field that not all translators will express expertise in, yet it is the default choice for searches. I think that most searchers don't choose a particular field, but just the relevant language pair. My evidence? My text add for Tech/Engineering has been viewed far more than my other ads, but most of the jobs I have been offered via my Proz page have been in other topical areas. Could the default be blank, returning everyone with a proficiency in that pair in any field, or barring that "other"?

I find your suggestions regarding the "native speaker" issue very helpful. Also the default field could be blank as it's absolutely true that there are many searchers who are interested in other topical areas and who first choose just the relevant language pair. Both freelancers and searchers could benefit from this idea.

Have a nice day!
Lamprini

Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
French to English
+ ...
Good suggestions, Jason Dec 1, 2003

I totally agree with you, Jason. Your suggestions sound good to me.

Pablo Grosschmid  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
agree with both suggestions Dec 1, 2003

good idea !

Jason Roberts  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:37
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Has this been seen? Dec 7, 2003

Just wondering if this thread has been noticed by any of the Proz.com administrative folks.

-JR

Amy Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:37
Italian to English
+ ...
yes to 'native language' search function in directory May 21, 2004

I was just about to start a thread on this topic but found an old one which could use reviving!

Has any more consideration been given to having a 'native language/mother tongue' search function in the 'freelancers' section of the Directory? At the moment we can search by country, but that is of limited use when so many translators are now well established in countries where their native language may not be the norm. From an outsourcer's viewpoint, scrolling through the Directory and going by name is pretty much hopeless as some translators take on different surnames (surnames that might not 'match' their mother tongue, if you see what I mean) when they marry, double-barrelled surnames, etc..

When you execute a search for freelancers between a certain language pair you will probably find that many translators don't have those languages (esp. the target) as a native language. I don't want to go into the whole 'translating into your mother tongue language' issue here but I would really appreciate a search facility for native language/mother tongue in the Directory.

Thanks,
Amy

[Edited at 2004-05-21 14:20]

[Edited at 2004-05-21 14:24]

[Edited at 2004-05-21 14:28]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelancer Directory Search Suggestions (P)

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search