Being able to choose which forums NOT to see on the homepage
Thread poster: madak

madak  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:23
Swedish to English
+ ...
Apr 16, 2010

I usually go straight to the forums by using the top navigation. However, occasionally I scroll down the homepage to find interesting topics. Rarely a good idea as the "Recent topics" section is generally hijacked by "SDL Trados support" threads (currently only one non-SDL topic out of about 25).

If I was working with this company's marketing, I might, at first, find the mention of the terms "SDL Trados" on another site an advantage from an SEO perspective, though I'd have to consider that there is, potentially, a substantial risk that Google's algorithm will view the percentage of instance relative to overall content s as keyword spamming. Furthermore, once prospects click on the Google links and see that "SDL Trados" is invariable followed by "support", they might think twice about buying said software.

Now, enough of free marketing advice. Is there a way I can avoid seeing the numerous threads about SDL Trados, or any other topic I have no interest in, on the homepage? Although these topics are sometimes hilarious, I have no intention of buying this software in the foreseeable future, if ever.

madak  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:23
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Looks like I was wrong Apr 16, 2010

Finally, managed to find where I could change these settings.

Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:23
Danish to English
where? Apr 16, 2010

The overwhelming number of "SDL support" postings has long ago convinced me that I would never buy that program, or even take it as a gift. So I too would like to avoid all of those Forum postings.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 10:23
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
The Settings tab on your profile Apr 17, 2010

If you go to your profile and click the Settings tab...

You will see a whole column of options, and if you look down them, past KudoZ, you will find one highlighted as NEW in yellow, called
Select Forums to be listed on the Homepage

Click on that, and you will find a list of all the forums on the site...
Here you can tick or untick to select the ones you are interested in.

Some of us thank our lucky stars for SDL Trados Support... because Trados does actually work most of the time. But there are lots of more exciting forums when Trados is not playing up.

Have fun!

PS You have to scroll down quite a long way to find CAT tools and remove the ticks from the boxes, but keep going, and you will find them.

And most important of all, you have to scroll right to the bottom of the page and click on SAVE SETTINGS, or it will all be in vainicon_wink.gif

[Edited at 2010-04-17 00:24 GMT]

Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:23
Danish to English
thanks! Apr 17, 2010

I appreciate the detailed directions. Du får 13!

Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:23
English to French
+ ...
Thank you to the 3 of you ! I'm now freed from the SDL ghost! Apr 17, 2010

Thank you, really, for this discussion and for Christine's very detailed information.
I'm freeicon_biggrin.gif

To speak the truth, the ProZ "SDL support" fora are largely accountable for the purchase of WordFast I madeicon_smile.gif

Have a nice weekend
Catherine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Being able to choose which forums NOT to see on the homepage

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search