New 'Specific Categories' for KudoZ - bound for other parts of the site? (staff: 'yes, probably')
Thread poster: ntext
ntext  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:11
German to English
+ ...
Jan 29, 2004

I noticed that people can now choose among a number of "specific categories" when asking a KudoZ question. It's a nice enhancement.

Are there plans to expand this feature to other areas of the site? It might be useful if these categories could be used in job postings, translator profiles and translator searches as well. They're more telling than the eight general "fields," and they look more intuitive and practical to me than these BSO categories.

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 06:11
SITE FOUNDER
Yes, the new categories are a replacement to BSO and will probably be applied elsewhere Jan 29, 2004

Yes, a new fields list has been applied for KudoZ asking, display and editing. Feedback is requested. (See the form entry on the KudoZ asking page.)

If the list of fields is well received (and so far the usage level is ok), we will apply it in other areas, including profiles, translator searching and job postings.

This is a replacement for the BSO categories, which were rarely used; those who criticized them at the outset were right. The new list of fields was formed to reflect the fields entered in free text most commonly in previous KudoZ questions.

Don't try to make sense of the taxonomy as a whole, there is no grand scheme to it-- just look for the keyword that best represents your field.

The KudoZ asking form does not require a specific field, but please make your best effort to enter one anyway (even if you enter a general field, and write in a more specific field). This will help us to create a more detailed KOG (KudoZ Open Glossary).

Lesley Clayton
France
Local time: 12:11
French to English
+ ...
I like this new list Jan 29, 2004

I think it is more realistic and precise than the BSO categories. The categories in this new list reflect much more accurately the type of subjects I am likely to translate.

Tayfun, I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by "not professional". Surely, anything that helps narrow the field more accurately can only be a good thing. I don't see this list as "professional" or not; I see it as a relevant tool for translators on ProZ to help each other better via KudoZ. And if it is extended to job postings, all the better. Some of us have complained about lack of information and this is an attempt to address that problem. Let's see if it works!

[quote]Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

As it is not professional in essence.
Categories shown there is not relevant to translation profession itself.

Henry, I notice a missing category which often comes up on English monolingual: grammar (including punctuation and possibly usage).

Lesley

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 07:11
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Grammar Jan 29, 2004

Lesley Clayton wrote:
Henry, I notice a missing category which often comes up on English monolingual: grammar (including punctuation and possibly usage).

Yes! They are often asked in monolingual sections.

Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:11
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
BSO Jan 30, 2004

Lesley Clayton wrote:

Lesley

Lesley,

You could choose "Language/Linguistics" for grammar-related questions.

M

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New 'Specific Categories' for KudoZ - bound for other parts of the site? (staff: 'yes, probably')

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search