Possibility of multiple WWAs for excellent translators?
Thread poster: Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:39
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Sep 30, 2010

On the BlueBoard we can add new entries for our clients. Once a year, I think. Apparently this is not possible with WWAs.

Right now, I would love to provide a glowing WWA to a translator who just delivered one heck of a brilliant, extremely large project.

Unfortunately, I can only edit the old WWA that I made years ago but I can not enter a new one.

Outstanding translators deserve multiple WWAs, just as outstanding clients.

What do you
... See more
On the BlueBoard we can add new entries for our clients. Once a year, I think. Apparently this is not possible with WWAs.

Right now, I would love to provide a glowing WWA to a translator who just delivered one heck of a brilliant, extremely large project.

Unfortunately, I can only edit the old WWA that I made years ago but I can not enter a new one.

What do you think?

BR,

Nicole Schnell

Schnell Creative Group, Inc.
Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:39
German to Spanish
+ ...
Possibility of multiple WWAs for excellent translators? Oct 1, 2010

Nicole Schnell wrote:

What do you think?

BR,

Nicole Schnell

I completely agree.

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:39
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Another agree Oct 1, 2010

Good idea, it should work in the same way as the BlueBoard.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks, Pablo and Rebecca! Oct 1, 2010

WWAs are highly valuable marketing tools, they affect our ranking and they are even more efficient than any reference letter - because they are public.

The highest compliment I can make is renewing such a compliment afters several years of consistent top-notch work. Right now I would be forced to overwrite and therefore delete an existing WWA. And years of collaboration.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Agree 3 Oct 1, 2010

Very good idea Nicole!

Ali Alsaqqa
Ali Alsaqqa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:39
English to Arabic
Agree Oct 1, 2010

But how do you define "excellent translators" ? that's the question.

Someone with 10+ WWA ?
Someone with 10+ corroboration ?
Someone with 4000+ PRO Points ?

or, simply,

Someone who his clients (agencies, etc) are very happy to provide
another WWA for him.

Sarah Jane Webb
Sarah Jane Webb  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Absolutely! Oct 1, 2010

Couldn't agree more, Nicole. Thank you for suggesting this.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
@Ali Al-Saqqa: Slight clarification Oct 1, 2010

Ali Al-Saqqa wrote:

Someone with 10+ WWA ?
Someone with 10+ corroboration ?
Someone with 4000+ PRO Points ?

or, simply,

Someone who his clients (agencies, etc) are very happy to provide
another WWA for him.

A translator is not considered excellent because of his / her WWAs, a translator has to be excellent before he / she will ever receive a WWA.

WWAs are neither BrownieZ nor KudoZ points. They are references from clients made public.

PS. Just wondering why you are asking because you have a nice collection yourself.

[Edited at 2010-10-01 07:17 GMT]

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
An analogy Oct 1, 2010

An airline transport pilot holds a license to fly a certain type of aircraft. (ATPL-license).
Every six months, he has to pass a test to renew that license.
Couldn't you propose something similar based upon a number of criteria.

[Edited at 2010-10-01 07:23 GMT]

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
What you suggest is dangerous. Oct 1, 2010

Nicole Schnell wrote:

What do you think?

BR,

Nicole Schnell

Why do you want to enter multiple WWAs for one translator?
What is the point here? To get married again?

Why you should publish the curve of your business relationships with one translator each year?

I think you are acting with your feelings here but not with objectivity.

If you are oversatisfied you may open a web site "the transaltors I admire" and publish them there.

Why you are suggesting an implemetation which would definitely spoil the reliability of WWA system. Yes, the thing you are suggesting will definitely lead many abuses here.

I can't see any professionalism here. All what I see: excessive admiration, love, sympathy. Those are feelings. And in business there is no place for feelings.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
@Ali Al-Saqqa Oct 1, 2010

Ali Al-Saqqa wrote:

I will be happy to discuss the entire kaleidoscope of what makes a translator brilliant/excellent/outstanding in a separate thread. With pleasure! Right now I am asking for an added technical feature on the ProZ.com site, otherwise we are straying away from the topic.

BR,

Nicole Schnell

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It is a good idea Oct 1, 2010

However there is already something you could do instead - I mean corroborated projects where you can enter a positive entry from the client.

It is not as good solution as allowing multiple WWA entries - translator must create a project in his/her profile and visibility is much lower than in case of WWA but for the time being it's better than nothing.

Best Regards
Stanislaw

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
@Stanislaw Oct 1, 2010

Stanislaw Czech wrote:

However there is already something you could do instead - I mean corroborated projects where you can enter a positive entry from the client.

It is not as good solution as allowing multiple WWA entries - translator must create a project in his/her profile and visibility is much lower than in case of WWA but for the time being it's better than nothing.

Best Regards
Stanislaw

That precisely is the point. This translator has always delivered top-notch work. Now the translator has translated a book for us. Translated? The translator has turned it into a firework that I consider better than the original. And I have no means to make it public.

Solfrid Lokslid
Solfrid Lokslid  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:39
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Absoutely a good idea Oct 1, 2010

I just found this thread this morning and it's quite a coincidence since I just yesterday asked a client of mine to make a second WWW entry for me. I received an email back this morning saying they would be absolutely happy to do that, but after having tried, it seemed they could only make one entry per linguist.

This was news to me since I had assumed WWA entries worked just like the Blue Board - one entry allowed per year. I actually have 2 WWA entries from another client on my pr
... See more
I just found this thread this morning and it's quite a coincidence since I just yesterday asked a client of mine to make a second WWW entry for me. I received an email back this morning saying they would be absolutely happy to do that, but after having tried, it seemed they could only make one entry per linguist.

This was news to me since I had assumed WWA entries worked just like the Blue Board - one entry allowed per year. I actually have 2 WWA entries from another client on my profile and now I'm puzzled to how they managed to do that... The second one was not requested by me, but entered on their own initiative.

Anyway, I think this is a very good suggestion by Nicole and I hope it will be implemented.

Solfrid Lokslid
Collapse

Susan van den Ende
Susan van den Ende  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Dutch
+ ...
Workaround? Oct 1, 2010

I think it's not "one entry per client", but "one entry per user". If a client works with multiple PMs, each PM can make an entry - provided, of course, that they are ProZ users. Perhaps not entirely what you are looking for, but FWIW.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possibility of multiple WWAs for excellent translators?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »