https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/182735-disallow_google_from_translating_profile_pages.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Disallow Google from translating profile pages
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:26
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 12, 2010

G'day everyone (and staff)

This suggestion is based on this post and the entire thread.

When web visitors visit a page that is not in their language, they can have it translated by Google. I also suspect that Google sometimes translates pages without asking. This behaviour can be suppressed by a
... See more

When web visitors visit a page that is not in their language, they can have it translated by Google. I also suspect that Google sometimes translates pages without asking. This behaviour can be suppressed by adding a meta tag to the page head.

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/10/helping-you-break-language-barrier.html

I suggest that ProZ.com adds a "notranslate" tag to all of its pages' heads. It would give a bad impression to potential clients and members if the pages are translated by Google and not by humans. The site is being localised anyway, so anyone who wants to see a good translation of a page can simply use the links at the bottom of the page.

The only place where Google translations may be useful are in the forums, so perhaps all forum posts can be excluded from the "notranslate" rule. But definitely all profile pages should have "notranslate" enabled.
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Good idea Oct 12, 2010

I agree, Samuel.
Have you submitted a support ticket to Proz to address this issue?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On support tickets Oct 12, 2010

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
Have you submitted a support ticket to Proz to address this issue?

Support tickets are for bugs. This is a feature request. I think.

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Support centre Oct 12, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

Support tickets are for bugs. This is a feature request. I think.

ProZ.com support center
Get help using the site, report bugs, make suggestions.
http://www.proz.com/support/

Worth a try?

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Good idea! Oct 12, 2010

Dear Samuel,

I second your suggestion! Good that you've found this solution!

Kind regards,
Erik

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:26
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes! Yes! Yes! Oct 12, 2010

Excellent idea...

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Great idea. Oct 12, 2010

I'm all for it. I placed the code just recommended in another forum thread on my profile page... however, there's no room to place it in my tag line or user message and I come out looking like an idiot in Dutch . . .

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes! Oct 12, 2010

Excellent idea! Samuel, let us know whether you have submitted a support ticket. I might submit my ticket as well!

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 10:26
Dutch to English
+ ...
Forums Oct 12, 2010

Why not the the forums?

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Translating forums Oct 12, 2010

Tina Vonhof wrote:

Why not the the forums?

Sometimes it's useful (on technical forums especially) to follow a topic translated into your own language. It may only give you the gist of what it's about but it can still help.

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
I agree to this idea too Oct 12, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

When web visitors visit a page that is not in their language, they can have it translated by Google. I also suspect that Google sometimes translates pages without asking. This behaviour can be suppressed by adding a meta tag to the page head.

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/10/helping-you-break-language-barrier.html

I suggest that ProZ.com adds a "notranslate" tag to all of its pages' heads. It would give a bad impression to potential clients and members if the pages are translated by Google and not by humans. The site is being localised anyway, so anyone who wants to see a good translation of a page can simply use the links at the bottom of the page.

The only place where Google translations may be useful are in the forums, so perhaps all forum posts can be excluded from the "notranslate" rule. But definitely all profile pages should have "notranslate" enabled.

Google translator does not precisely give an image of professionalism being translators ourselves...

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Google translation of profile into non-working languages Oct 12, 2010

A great suggestion, Sam.
One additional thought, though, is, this:
I don't want Google to translate my profile into Spanish because I have my own Spanish translation posted already.
However, I would feel differently if a Hungarian outsourcer needed an English proofreader, (or a Spanish-English translator), found my profile, and asked Google to translate it. In that case, I would be pleased for the outsourcer to have my information, even in a flawed form.
So
... See more
A great suggestion, Sam.
One additional thought, though, is, this:
I don't want Google to translate my profile into Spanish because I have my own Spanish translation posted already.
However, I would feel differently if a Hungarian outsourcer needed an English proofreader, (or a Spanish-English translator), found my profile, and asked Google to translate it. In that case, I would be pleased for the outsourcer to have my information, even in a flawed form.
So if ProZ were to make an all-encompassing "no Google-translate" rule, it could cause harm to those whose pairs are not localized by ProZ. This would mean that outsourcers would have access only to profiles written in a language they understand, and this could cause some translators to lose opportunities.
Collapse

Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
choice to be made by each translator for his/her own data Oct 12, 2010

Jessica Noyes wrote:

Yes, exactly my thought.

As long as the Google-translated page appears as such (i.e. the fact that it is an automatic G translation is indicated prominently on the page, e.g. specific frame), I think this can be useful.

In fact, seeing a bad G translation may even convince customers that, for their materials, they really need a professional translator.

I'd rather keep things as they are: unprotected ProZ.com, and one protects his/her page, in whole or in part (following the steps explained here: http://www.proz.com/forum/miscellaneous/182701-google_has_helpfully_mis_translated_my_profile.html#1602514), according to his/her own needs.

Peishun CHIANG
Peishun CHIANG  Identity Verified
Japan
Member (2004)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Great idea, Samuel! Oct 18, 2010

I have the same problem and found this forum.

In my case, my sur name "Chiang" is translated as "Chiang Mai", name of a city in Thai land, and appeared on my profile!

And due to the language structure difference between English and Japanese,
machine translations, not only google transaltion, often gives
poor results.

My profile page looks as if made by someone who doesn't understand Japanese adequately is seeking translation jobs through intern
... See more
I have the same problem and found this forum.

In my case, my sur name "Chiang" is translated as "Chiang Mai", name of a city in Thai land, and appeared on my profile!

And due to the language structure difference between English and Japanese,
machine translations, not only google transaltion, often gives
poor results.

My profile page looks as if made by someone who doesn't understand Japanese adequately is seeking translation jobs through internet.
Therefore, people who see the page would never offer a translation to me.

I don't think all the profiles would be banned its translation, but I prefer to have a toggle switch on the pages.

And I will raise a support ticket about this.

Best,
Peishun
Collapse

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:26
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for this suggestion Oct 19, 2010

Hi all,

Thanks for this suggestion, I have added it to the backlog of ideas to be evaluated and eventually implemented.

Saludos,
Alejandro

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disallow Google from translating profile pages

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »