Thread poster: JaneTranslates

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 17:18
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 9, 2011

Maybe there's some secret I don't know; if so, please let me in on it!

Is there any way to get spell-check in languages other than English?

I recently posted a couple of KudoZ questions and as usual, every word I wrote in Spanish had a wavy red underline. It's hard, that way, to proofread what I've written. At least in the forums, I have quick access to a preview; I can even correct my post while looking at the preview. That is not the case when asking KudoZ questions.

I'm not interested in disabling spell-check entirely; it's a useful tool for spotting typos. But on a site that's designed to have user content in I don't know how many languages, it seems ludicrous to have every word that's not in English marked wrong.

In Word, I can have any number of languages in one document. When my author cites authors who wrote originally in English, Spanish, French, German, or Italian, all I have to do is mark the quotation or the book title as, say, "German," and all the annoying little red wavy lines go away. Not so on ProZ.com.

If I'm missing out on a simple process that everybody else knows about, please tell me!
If ProZ.com is truly unable, at this time, to accommodate multiple languages in spell-check, can you fix that?

Jane

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Your browser Jan 9, 2011

JaneTranslates wrote:
I recently posted a couple of KudoZ questions and as usual, every word I wrote in Spanish had a wavy red underline.

The spell-check is done by your browser, not by ProZ.com's web site. If you use Firefox, you can download free extensions with spell-checkers for your language. If you're using Opera or Internet Explorer, there are spell-checkers available but they're more difficult to set up or to get for free.

Alternatively, see your browser's options menu to see if you can disable spell-checking (or right-click in an edit field... perhaps there is an menu item to disable the spell-checking).

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 17:18
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Google Chrome? Jan 9, 2011

Thanks, Samuel. I'll see if I can figure out how to do it. I really don't want to disable it, but that might be more satisfactory than trying to read around all those red lines.

ETA: OK, I found it in Google Chrome. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

[Edited at 2011-01-09 22:39 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Language-specific spell check

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search