https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/1901-monolingual_questions.html

Monolingual questions
Thread poster: Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 14:30
German to English
+ ...
Mar 22, 2002

I know I am going to come under fire for this, but I\'ll say it all the same.

I believe that monolingual questions should be answered only by native speakers of the respective language.

While I can see the merits in non-native speakers making contributions to bilingual questions (and some of them are, indeed, helpful - source/target language input), they should refrain from interfering with monolingual questions.

I would even go so f
... See more
I know I am going to come under fire for this, but I\'ll say it all the same.

I believe that monolingual questions should be answered only by native speakers of the respective language.

While I can see the merits in non-native speakers making contributions to bilingual questions (and some of them are, indeed, helpful - source/target language input), they should refrain from interfering with monolingual questions.

I would even go so far as to suggest that each member specify a native language in his/her profile, thus blocking them from answering monolingual questions in other languages.

There will always be conflicting opinions and disagreement, but I believe we should reduce this \"potential for conflict\" when it comes to monolingual questions (after all, these questions do not require the input of non-native speakers at all).

In addition, I consider it a great disservice to the asker: he/she is, after all, looking for an answer to a very specific problem regarding his/her own mother tongue or target language (the primary reason for posting a monolingual question), and \"non-native input\" would only \"mess things up\".

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-22 19:23 ]
Collapse

Jon Zuber (X)
Jon Zuber (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
We've been down this road before. Mar 22, 2002

Remember \"native speaker certification\"? That disappeared in short order, and without it, there\'s no way to implement such a restriction.

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:30
German to English
+ ...
On a similar, but not entirely the same, theme Mar 22, 2002

Is there a moderator for the monolingual communities? Because if ever a community needed moderation, it\'s \'English monolingual\'.

If there isn\'t one, could one be appointed?

Thanks

Mary

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I second the motion Mar 22, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-22 22:22, MaryR wrote:

Is there a moderator for the monolingual communities? Because if ever a community needed moderation, it\'s \'English monolingual\'.

Thanks

Mary

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
Local time: 19:30
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Absolutely Mar 23, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-22 22:22, MaryR wrote:

Thanks

Mary

[addsig]

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's still feasible Mar 23, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-22 20:51, Jon Zuber wrote:

Remember \"native speaker certification\"? That disappeared in short order, and without it, there\'s no way to implement such a restriction.

All you have to do is make \"native language\" a required field when signing up for an account with ProZ (other sites do the same; come to think of it, ALL other sites I know of require this information). Current members,... See more
Quote:

On 2002-03-22 20:51, Jon Zuber wrote:

All you have to do is make \"native language\" a required field when signing up for an account with ProZ (other sites do the same; come to think of it, ALL other sites I know of require this information). Current members, at the time of introducing this new feature, would have to fill it out too (this would take less than 10 seconds). ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Monolingual questions

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »