Splitting KudoZ points (T)
Thread poster: Jabberwock

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:34
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Apr 16, 2004

As I see it, the points in the KudoZ system are not used that often, i.e. you either get zero or four. Maybe it could be useful to use some "leftover" points to award to other answerers?
Here are the reasons:
- quite often two people answer the same question (usually an easy one) immediately. One answer is registered earlier, of course, but it might not reflect the actual order

- many times (and I love KudoZ for that!) questions do not receive a definite answer, but rather suggestions, which are supplemented with other suggestions, etc. It could be useful to share the four points between the participants of such brain storms.

I know it would be a rather drastic change to the existing point system, but maybe it is worth a thought. Somehow I cannot get used to the idea that one answer is brilliant and all the others are worthless.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-03 15:39]

Direct link Reply with quote

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:34
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
A very popular idea indeed :) Apr 16, 2004

Hello Jaroslaw,
This is a very popular idea, even though I do not agree with. I have said my opinion on this thread http://www.proz.com/topic/19053 that was opened recently, and I like some other opinions that a few colleague point there (such as those of two2tango, Eva T etc.)

You might be able to find other discussions on this topic as well, I am positive about it.

Monika

[Edited at 2004-04-16 20:04]

Daphne b  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2003)
Swedish to Greek
+ ...
Totally agree Apr 16, 2004

Can't agree with you more, Jaroslaw. I often find it extremely difficult to award Kudoz points when I ask a question, precisely because there might be several answers that have helped me and not just one - and I feel it's kind of unfair that only one gets the credit for it!

Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Mmmmm .... I disagree Apr 16, 2004

Why?
I think it's in first instance a very good idea but ...
* the asker will have a lot more work in rewarding all answerers
* answerers could get more cross on the asker because they start argueing "he / she could have award this or that answerer with just one point"
* there'll be more answers of little or no value because point hunters feel there's always a reasonable change to get just one or two points, so the system becomes more nervy.

I think the currently somewhat simplistic system of the "winner takes it all" works quicker and renders in the least scowling, because there are a lot of "loosers".

A trouble shared is a trouble halved.

One winner and five loosers is more easy accepted than one winner, three sub-winners and two loosers, in my opinion.

Happily, nobody's livelihood is endangered when he / she gets no kudoz, so there's no real problem.

[Edited at 2004-04-19 05:45]

Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:34
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
True! Only that... Apr 16, 2004

Henk Peelen wrote:
Happily, nobody's livelihood is endangered when he / she gets no kudoz, so there's no real problem.

...it would be very useful in those cases in which the very same answer is provided by two (or more!) persons at the very same time!

From the asker's point of view, I felt really uncomfortable awarding the Kudoz to just one person.

Cheers,
Andrea

Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Henk, you are so right! Apr 16, 2004

Henk Peelen wrote:

Dear Henk,
I loved this!

Monika

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 18:34
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Yes, Apr 16, 2004

IMHO, good idea. There have been several cases, when more than one person has helped me to solve the problem, but I had to choose
whom to award points. Of course, I've thanked the others, but I feel it would have been more fair to split the points. Of course, KudoZ points are just a game, but none the less, I would want to be fair to people who have helped me.

Uldis

Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
No perfect solution IMO Apr 16, 2004

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

IMHO, good idea. There have been several cases, when more than one person has helped me to solve the problem, but I had to choose
whom to award points. Of course, I've thanked the others, but I feel it would have been more fair to split the points. Of course, KudoZ points are just a game, but none the less, I would want to be fair to people who have helped me.

Uldis

Dear Uldis,
you are right, at times it is difficult to choose just one winner. However, splitting the points is not going to be a perfect solution either. I think that there would be lots of problems within that system as well.
Just my 2 Qindarka
Monika

xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 10:34
English to Russian
+ ...
I'm with you, Henk Apr 17, 2004

Henk Peelen wrote:

Yep, this is a discussion, not the Olympics:-).

I fully understand the best notions attached to the desire to award some "material proof" of one's gratutude to everyone who helped or tried to help. But the exchange of thank you words (and finding the right ones is our job, after all:-)), compliments, jokes and fun or extra adrenaline accompanying Q/A process once in a while, and something new learned in the process - what else? I personally do not have any use for Kudoz points. I love the process:-).

Current system may not allow us to distribute beans evenly but it only poses problems for point-hunters.

[Edited at 2004-04-17 19:32]

invguy  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 18:34
English to Bulgarian
Better get a go at the bigger picture Apr 18, 2004

IreneN wrote:

Henk Peelen wrote:

But the exchange of thank you words (and finding the right ones is our job, after all:-)), compliments, jokes and fun or extra adrenaline accompanying Q/A process once in a while, and something new learned in the process - what else?

Agreed.

Still, the imperfections of the KudoZ system reasonably give rise to discussions every now and then - including not only newer members, but also seasoned ProZians. This is undoubtedly a healthy process, and I am convinced that once 'the critical mass' is reached, there will be a reform in KudoZ.

Not that it can't stay as it is, and still be viable, and useful - it certainly can. But it can also be better.

Seems what we lack is not the ability to see KudoZ shortcomings; it is rather a clear idea about what exactly "a better KudoZ" is. In other words, I think a new concept is due, using the experience and insight gained so far - which might (or might not) lead to radical changes. What is needed is a careful and thorough assessment of what KudoZ *is*, as well as of what it *can be* - not that much as an operational setup, but rather as a community phenomenon of value, extending beyond ProZ boundaries. Further amelioration attempts without such an assessment would mean only patching.

JMHO, as always.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Splitting KudoZ points (T)

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search