Suggestions to get rid of divisions between "newest" and other URLs on Glosspost, etc (K)
Thread poster: brigidm
brigidm
brigidm  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 17:19
Norwegian to English
Apr 21, 2004

I have just spent a whole day going through all the URLs in GlossPost, and have the following comments:

Positive criticism:
This is a great tool for translators, can save lots of time and effort when working to a tight deadline. I found that most of the links were of very good standard.

Negative criticism:
- What is the point of the separate listing of "newest URLs"? This seems to me to be an unneccessary and confusing division. Realise it may originate fr
... See more
I have just spent a whole day going through all the URLs in GlossPost, and have the following comments:

Positive criticism:
This is a great tool for translators, can save lots of time and effort when working to a tight deadline. I found that most of the links were of very good standard.

Negative criticism:
- What is the point of the separate listing of "newest URLs"? This seems to me to be an unneccessary and confusing division. Realise it may originate from the time when Glosspost and Proz.com joined forces, but is it really necessary any more?
- Double-ups: a considerable number of URLs are repeated - some more than twice.
- There were quite a few links which no longer exist.

Constructive suggestions:
- Get rid of the division between "newest" and other URLs.
- Make it possible for everyone who uses the links to report if sites no longer exists. This is something I would happily have done if this option had been available. At present this option is available only to the poster and moderators, if I have understood correctly?
- Provide a system whereby possible duplication of URLs can be avoided.
- Record of date when URL was posted.
- Division between monolingual and other glossaries?

Well, those are my comments, for what they're worth.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-02 16:53]
Collapse

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Excellente ideas Apr 21, 2004

about the utility of the newest categories, a date of posting and most for the dead links reports.

I have the feeling too that not everyone knows about the glossaries on proz.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
You can search them by language, which is interesting Apr 21, 2004

It is possible to search by language. Not helpful if you search for English

But I found searching for Danish reduced the list to a manageable size, and that would work with other languages.

I agree with everything else you've said - thanks for useful comments.

... See more
It is possible to search by language. Not helpful if you search for English

But I found searching for Danish reduced the list to a manageable size, and that would work with other languages.

I agree with everything else you've said - thanks for useful comments.

Collapse

brigidm
brigidm  Identity Verified
Norway
Norwegian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Doing searches is okay, but... Apr 21, 2004

Christine Andersen wrote:

Of course if you know what subject area you want, then doing a search is fine. But if someone wants to do as I did, that is purely look through the whole list just to see what is "out there" (and believe me, there are some very imaginative glossaries!) just for future reference, then you will find that the list(s) as they appear today are in need of some kind of re-organising.

It's good to know that others are of the same opinion. I think it's important to keep this listing "dynamic". The alternative would be that it becomes a "dinosaur" that we would eventually give up using because it's not regularly updated and edited. And that would be a shame.

[Edited at 2004-04-21 15:04]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestions to get rid of divisions between "newest" and other URLs on Glosspost, etc (K)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »