P2p telephony function on ProZ.com for platinum members (D)
Thread poster: ALAIN COTE (X)
ALAIN COTE (X)
ALAIN COTE (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:48
Japanese to French
May 1, 2004

Hello ! We started a discussion on the French forum about Skype (www.skype.com), the new Internet telephony software based on P2P technology. Some of us wonder if it would be possible, in the future, to include some kind of P2P telephony function on ProZ.com for Platinum members (it could be a new software developped by ProZ.com's technicians, or a new function added to Collaborate/Fusion).

The possibil
... See more
Hello ! We started a discussion on the French forum about Skype (www.skype.com), the new Internet telephony software based on P2P technology. Some of us wonder if it would be possible, in the future, to include some kind of P2P telephony function on ProZ.com for Platinum members (it could be a new software developped by ProZ.com's technicians, or a new function added to Collaborate/Fusion).

The possibility, for clients and translators, to get immediatly in voice contact whenever they need to would be a great incentive for them to get/renew their Platinum status.

For the clients, the main incentive to use such a telephony service limited to ProZ.com members would be the possibility to find translators, day and night, all over the world. Lets say the client needs a translator now and wants to talk to him. He just opens the ProZ Phone Book, where the Platinum members connected on the P2P (lets call it Proz-2-Proz-Phone) are listed with different icons indicating whether they are available or not for an urgent job, presently too busy for urgent jobs but available for less urgent ones, or simply online and available for any kind of call related to work (collaboration, etc.) from other Platinum members.

Since P2P networks are not centralized, it would not represent an awful lot of work for ProZ.com to host such a service limited to voice transmission (no illegal file exchange )

For the translators, the main advantage would be a free phone service limited to business or professional calls. I think that many of us do install softwares like Skype, ICQ, Messenger, Net2phone and Netmeeting, but finally uninstall them because they don't like to be disturbed by friends for trivial matters ("Hey I just bought a new Mickey Mouse microphone ! Let's see if it works with your Goofy Headset!"). With a Proz-2-Proz-Phone service, Platinum members could stay connected for potentiel clients or collaborators only... and would still be free to use other softwares like Skype when they simply want to have some chat with friends.

Alain

[Edited at 2004-05-02 00:00]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-02 16:42]
Collapse

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:48
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Sounds great, Alain May 1, 2004

I love the name, Proz-2-Proz-Phone. I'd sure use it!

[Edited at 2004-05-01 22:54]

Jean-Luc Dumont
Jean-Luc Dumont  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Excellent! :-) May 1, 2004

Groovy idea, Alain !
Proz-2-Proz-Phone.

Let's get 3P ! 3peeps

JL

[Edited at 2004-05-01 23:23]

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Great idea May 2, 2004

Bravo!

Luca

Emérentienne
Emérentienne
France
English to French
All for it too... May 2, 2004

A number of us have installed the skype icon on our profile pages. But the service would be a lot more attractive to clients if it was centrally managed by the staff of this site and restricted to client and collaborator access. This way it would no longer be necessary to specify "please use only for work purposes..."

cw

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 22:48
English to French
+ ...
saiko idea! May 2, 2004

yes, I love it!
I am still contemplating upgrading to platinum, this kind of perk would probably do it: P2P for B2B.
Keep seeping your tea or your sake, they're working wonders!

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:48
Dutch to English
+ ...
Great Idea! May 2, 2004

I hope that it can be worked out.

Lucinda.

wtrans
wtrans
Local time: 13:48
English to Chinese
+ ...
Good idea! May 7, 2004

Good idea!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

P2p telephony function on ProZ.com for platinum members (D)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »