Give the KudoZ nod to the translator who answered first (staff: 'leaving this up to askers')
Thread poster: swisstell
swisstell
swisstell
Italy
Local time: 05:53
German to English
+ ...
Apr 10, 2002

if 2 or more have the very same answer. This seems to be the only fair way to deal with this issue on which I have been on the giving as well as the receiving end. I questioned an Australian member not too long ago why he had given preference to a translator who had delivered the very same answer, word for word, letter for letter but had been clocked 2 minutes later. The ridiculous answer was \"I had more confidence in the other person whom I know from previous times\". How can you have more con... See more
if 2 or more have the very same answer. This seems to be the only fair way to deal with this issue on which I have been on the giving as well as the receiving end. I questioned an Australian member not too long ago why he had given preference to a translator who had delivered the very same answer, word for word, letter for letter but had been clocked 2 minutes later. The ridiculous answer was \"I had more confidence in the other person whom I know from previous times\". How can you have more confidence in XYZ than in XYZ? - And today again, someone in France preferred the guy who came in after me and gave my version of \"la durée\" with his of \"La durée\".

Let me make clear that I understand the whole exercise as being of assistance rather than of gatherin points. Nevertheless, when in the end there is such an obvious display of unfairness or favoritism, the obvious reaction will be not to help such a rule breaker any longer.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-07 13:48]
Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 23:53
German to English
+ ...
Reply to e-rich Apr 10, 2002

Fully agree. It\'s not about points, but helping others. Still, there should be some sense of fair play and professionalism.

Sometimes, 3-4 people will answer a question at the same time - it happens!

But what I can\'t understand is people who copy your answer word for word about half an hour or even 2 hours later. What\'s the point?

e-rich, I operate the same way: whenever I see such behaviour, I simply \"blacklist\" these people (a
... See more
Fully agree. It\'s not about points, but helping others. Still, there should be some sense of fair play and professionalism.

Sometimes, 3-4 people will answer a question at the same time - it happens!

But what I can\'t understand is people who copy your answer word for word about half an hour or even 2 hours later. What\'s the point?

e-rich, I operate the same way: whenever I see such behaviour, I simply \"blacklist\" these people (askers and answerers).
Collapse

Lydia Molea
Lydia Molea  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:53
English to German
+ ...
I agree Apr 11, 2002

That is the fairest way of handling this.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 23:53
SITE FOUNDER
We have decided to leave this to the judgment of the asker Jun 7, 2005

Some askers may want to make a rule of doing just this. As staff, we will leave it to the judgment of the askers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Give the KudoZ nod to the translator who answered first (staff: 'leaving this up to askers')

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »