New forum 'when is it better to decline a job' (K)
Thread poster: Saifa (X)
Saifa (X)
Saifa (X)
Local time: 05:16
German to French
+ ...
Jun 25, 2004

Stimulated by a discussion about dubious job offers which is – once again - going on at the moment in the Spanish forum, I would make here a suggestion for a new forum.

The name of this forum could be "Why I decided to decline a job offer", "When is it better to decline a job offer than to accept it" or something similar.

The idea is: Everyone of us has already got job offers from agencies or direct clients which he/she prefered no to accept. There may different reaso
... See more
Stimulated by a discussion about dubious job offers which is – once again - going on at the moment in the Spanish forum, I would make here a suggestion for a new forum.

The name of this forum could be "Why I decided to decline a job offer", "When is it better to decline a job offer than to accept it" or something similar.

The idea is: Everyone of us has already got job offers from agencies or direct clients which he/she prefered no to accept. There may different reasons: the price they were ready to pay was so low that you earn more cleaning, selling some fast food in the pedestrian precinct of your town, etc.
Or: they wanted you to sign a general agreement before giving you the work with stipulations you could not accept (for ex. about unacceptable claim for compensation)... Or: because they required a test translation first which was so long that you were suspecting them of giving you a text they had got from a direct client and of wanting you to translate it for free...
Or any other reason why you thought it was better for you not to accept this particular job.

These reflections and warnings (which you occasionally could read in the different forums) could then be found easier at a centralized place. They would especially help the new colleagues who still do not know the rules of the profession, but also each one of us asking himself/herself what is acceptable or not.

As a rule, the name of the agencies should not be mentioned here.
More important as mentioning concrete names of agencies would be the transmission of experience, and the common will of maintaining a certain level in our profession.

We can definitely not work for peanuts, even if big agencies offering “all languages of the world from A to Z” try to convince us of the contrary. But if we are ready to work for always less because of the economical crisis (Argentina,...), because of the enlargement to the East (EU), because of the unemployment (everywhere), because I need the money today, what will our future look like tomorrow? Do we want to be modern slaves?

Chademu

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-02 21:04]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-02 21:06]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Why not use the existing forums? Jun 25, 2004

Hi Chademu,
Why don't you post a thread in the Being Independent forum, for example? The forum subtitle reads: "Independent professionals enjoy special benefits and face unique challenges." A perfect fit, I'd say.

As a rule, the name of the agencies should not be mentioned here.

Not "as a rule" - names of outsourcers must not be mentioned in the forums - have a look at the forum rules, particularly No. 12.

Best regards, Ralf

Saifa (X)
Saifa (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Ralf Jun 25, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Chademu,
Why don't you post a thread in the Being Independent forum, for example? The forum subtitle reads: "Independent professionals enjoy special benefits and face unique challenges." A perfect fit, I'd say.

Thanks Ralf for your suggestion. I am not new in the profession but I am quite new on this site.

The most important thing is, all information is easy to find for new colleagues here...

Regards

Chademu

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:16
English to German
+ ...
New thread suggestion: maintain an overview of reasons in the first posting Jun 25, 2004

Hi Chademu,

I think it is a good idea to dedicate a thread to that topic.
And since particularly the interesting threads tend to become complex, I suggest that you as the poster of the new topic maintain a concise overview of reasons in form of a list in the first posting.

Good speed,

Harry

Saifa (X)
Saifa (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Done! Jun 28, 2004

Harry_B wrote:

I think it is a good idea to dedicate a thread to that topic.
And since particularly the interesting threads tend to become complex, I suggest that you as the poster of the new topic maintain a concise overview of reasons in form of a list in the first posting.

Hi Ralf and Harry,

Thanks again for your suggestions. I have now posted this topic as a new thread under "Being independent". I will try to maintain an overview of the reasons...

Chademu

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New forum 'when is it better to decline a job' (K)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »