Is it possible to add a "Reply" tab to a translation job posted?
Thread poster: Vincent Zhou
Vincent Zhou
Vincent Zhou  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:38
English to Chinese
+ ...
May 29, 2012

As freelance translators, we often find that some outsources require sample translation free of charge before awarding. In order to get the job, a number of translators will reply with the sample, but several days later, there is not any response from the outsource. Of course, one possible case is that it has selected an applicant who delivered the most satisfactory translation. However, another case may also exist. That is, the outsource just needs a free translation and doesn't award the job t... See more
As freelance translators, we often find that some outsources require sample translation free of charge before awarding. In order to get the job, a number of translators will reply with the sample, but several days later, there is not any response from the outsource. Of course, one possible case is that it has selected an applicant who delivered the most satisfactory translation. However, another case may also exist. That is, the outsource just needs a free translation and doesn't award the job to anybody. How to prevent such scam?

I think a "Reply" tab below the job posted may be helpful. With such Tab, all applicants can reply (not quote) to the job with his/her comments, thus other applicants will know the actual process of the job, and finally we know who gets the job. If no applicant gets the job, it will be a suspect scam. Any outsources conducting such scam should be blacklisted.
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:38
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I do not agree May 29, 2012

Vincent Zhou wrote:

and finally we know who gets the job.

for a matter of privacy.

regards

Angie

Vincent Zhou
Vincent Zhou  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:38
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Privacy? May 29, 2012

Prof. Angie G. wrote:

Vincent Zhou wrote:

and finally we know who gets the job.

for a matter of privacy.

regards

Angie

Thanks for your reply. But I don't think it will concern confidentiality, since no more details will be given in the job posted or in the reply. For example, an outsourcer will only post that it has a file in marketing (2,000 words) to be translated, and a successful applicant may reply "Thank you for your positive assessment on my sample translation and I will deliver this project ....."

If this concerns confidentiality, how about the blue board or WWA entries?

Regards,
Vincent

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Yes, privacy May 29, 2012

You wrote:

"and finally we know who gets the job". I do not really like colleagues know if and when I bid for a given job and if I am chosen or not.

To me this is a matter of privacy, however this is just my opinion.

Angie

[Edited at 2012-05-29 08:07 GMT]

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:38
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Avalanche May 29, 2012

Just imagine the avalanche of messages the poster would have to deal with!

It would hardly be practical...

Cheers
S

Ana Malovrh
Ana Malovrh  Identity Verified
Slovenia
German to Slovenian
+ ...
a double-edged sword May 29, 2012

Vincent Zhou wrote:

If this concerns confidentiality, how about the blue board or WWA entries?

WWA and blue board are not obligatory.

If your suggestion was implemented, people would be trapped between not telling who they cooperate with and risking to raise doubt regarding their legitimacy.

I guess it differs from language combination to language combination or maybe countries, but many outsourcers do not wish to leave even a WWA entry. They don't want the whole world to know who they cooperate with.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Just a note May 29, 2012

Vincent Zhou wrote:
If no applicant gets the job, it will be a suspect scam. Any outsources conducting such scam should be blacklisted.

If the outsourcer does not close the job (for ANY reason they may have) , it does NOT mean it is scam. The job post will be closed automatically after the quoting term expires. Moreover, there is no 'blacklisting' at ProZ.com.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 07:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Disagree May 29, 2012

I disagree with this proposal.
I agree with Angie, but besides that, I think it is a useless nonsense. No need and no time to explain further.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to add a "Reply" tab to a translation job posted?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »