Thread poster: Catherine Gilsenan
Catherine Gilsenan
Catherine Gilsenan
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:44
French to English
+ ...
Jun 6, 2012

I do not like the new Proz.com website homepage interface at all! The screen is too "busy", with constant pop-ups.
I just want to get on and find what I want easily. This is giving me a HEADACHE!

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
AdBlock Plus Jun 7, 2012

I just used this to get rid of the changing ad about new moderators. This and Flashblock are both add-ons to Firefox, there may be versions for other systems. But some are immune to these tools. I agree, I don't so much mind static ads but I hate changing ones flashing at me.

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 08:44
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Change your browser? Jun 7, 2012

I use Opera, and haven't seen a pop up on ProZ for... years, I think! You just zap them the first time you see them and they never come back. Lovely peaceful Internet use!

Rebecca Jowers
Rebecca Jowers  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Adblock Plus Jun 7, 2012

I can second what Jack just said. I use Firefox with Adblock and, frankly, I didn't know Proz has pop-ups. They are nowhere to be found on my home screen.

Saludos desde Madrid!

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hello Catherine Jun 7, 2012

I am not sure what do you mean by "new interface", as the homepage hasn't been changed since a few years.

You can choose which items to show at the homepage and in which order from the dashboard in your profile ( http://www.proz.com/profile?sp_mode=settings&sp_submode=general_settings ), however, as far as I remember, paying members have more options t
... See more
I am not sure what do you mean by "new interface", as the homepage hasn't been changed since a few years.

You can choose which items to show at the homepage and in which order from the dashboard in your profile ( http://www.proz.com/profile?sp_mode=settings&sp_submode=general_settings ), however, as far as I remember, paying members have more options to finetune this (including advertisements).

Natalia
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What do you see? Jun 7, 2012

Catherine Gilsenan wrote:
I do not like the new Proz.com website homepage interface at all! The screen is too "busy", with constant pop-ups. I just want to get on and find what I want easily. This is giving me a HEADACHE!

Here is what I see:

|

What do you see?

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Another vote for AdBlock Jun 7, 2012

I use Chrome.

I see two adds on Samuel's screenshot and I do not have them on my ProZ homepage:)

[Edited at 2012-06-07 12:03 GMT]

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 03:44
SITE STAFF
Differences between member and non-member views of the site Jun 7, 2012

Hi all,

What you see on the homepage and the rest of the site will depend first on your membership status. ProZ.com members will see some advertisements, for example, but these will be ads which are translation-related only, whereas non-members will see a wider range of advertising and generally more of it. Now that there is a membership campaign running, there are membership-specific ads and there has been one pop-up shown to non-members. Some items you may see are determined by ot
... See more
Hi all,

What you see on the homepage and the rest of the site will depend first on your membership status. ProZ.com members will see some advertisements, for example, but these will be ads which are translation-related only, whereas non-members will see a wider range of advertising and generally more of it. Now that there is a membership campaign running, there are membership-specific ads and there has been one pop-up shown to non-members. Some items you may see are determined by other criteria such as site activity, site language chosen, language pairs, fields of expertise, etc.

Jared
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What ads? Jun 7, 2012

Diana Coada wrote:
I see two adds on Samuel's screenshot and I do not have them on my ProZ homepage.

I don't see them either -- not even in my screenshots. Where are they?

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
@Samuel Jun 7, 2012

On your first screenshot there's a guy in a striped shirt on top of the page and the SDL ad on the top right. Two different adds. I do not have them on my homepage.

Catherine Gilsenan
Catherine Gilsenan
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Screeshot Jun 7, 2012

How do you post a screenshot on here?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Cat Jun 8, 2012

Catherine Gilsenan wrote:
How do you post a screenshot on here?

Take a screenshot using a program e.g. XnView and then upload it to a free image host, e.g. http://postimage.org/ (this one does not even require registration). Then copy/paste the UBB code snippet, and use the "Preview" function of the forum system to see if the code works.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Just turn a blind eye Jun 8, 2012

My instant thought when I read this was, 'what new interface'? I am so used to ads popping up everywhere that I only ever notice them if they 'follow' me as I scroll down a page and then keep flashing. Now that DOES annoy me! It doesn't make me read them, though, I hardly ever bother to read all the nonsense presented in ads.

Once you get used to a site like ProZ.com, in my experience, your mind learns to automatically block out anything that is not useful to you. Just as I routine
... See more
My instant thought when I read this was, 'what new interface'? I am so used to ads popping up everywhere that I only ever notice them if they 'follow' me as I scroll down a page and then keep flashing. Now that DOES annoy me! It doesn't make me read them, though, I hardly ever bother to read all the nonsense presented in ads.

Once you get used to a site like ProZ.com, in my experience, your mind learns to automatically block out anything that is not useful to you. Just as I routinely delete all adverts sent to me from Proz without even bothering to read them. Who has the time for that sort of stuff??
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
@Samuel Jun 8, 2012

Thanks for tip about postimage. It works.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New ProZ.com Home Page Interface

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »