Separate forums for separate CAT tools? (Staff: done)
Thread poster: Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:04
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Jul 7, 2004

Hello everybody,

I was just browsing through the CAT forum, looking for a specific problem with SDLX. The search was complicated by the amount of entries concerning other CAT tools.

Here's my question: Would it be possible to arrange the CAT-related topics according to each CAT tool? So that next time somebody is trying to find the solution to a SDLX-related problem (for example), he/she can browse through SDLX-related entries ONLY.

I understand that this
... See more
Hello everybody,

I was just browsing through the CAT forum, looking for a specific problem with SDLX. The search was complicated by the amount of entries concerning other CAT tools.

Here's my question: Would it be possible to arrange the CAT-related topics according to each CAT tool? So that next time somebody is trying to find the solution to a SDLX-related problem (for example), he/she can browse through SDLX-related entries ONLY.

I understand that this might create quite a big amount of new sections... If you think this is too troublesome, maybe another suggestion will work better:

I noticed that many threads concerning Trados were in the CAT Tool Technical Help section, rather than in the Trados Support section. Maybe I am misunderstanding something. But would it be possible to move the Trados-related threads into the Trados Support section?

Thanks,
Stefanie

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-02 14:58]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-02 14:59]
Collapse

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
How to... Jul 7, 2004

Stefanie,

For your SDLX problems, you can contact the SDLX-group:

[email protected]

Geneviève:)

Stefanie Sendelbach
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sure, there are other ways to find help Jul 7, 2004

Hi Geneviève,

Thanks again for your reply.

I know there are ways to find help with CAT tool problems. But I thought that the Proz.com forums should be an additional aid where we can read about problems that others faced and how they solved it.

All forum entries are saved on the Proz.com server. So why not make use of this mass of information by making it accessible (which it is) and also fi
... See more
Hi Geneviève,

Thanks again for your reply.

I know there are ways to find help with CAT tool problems. But I thought that the Proz.com forums should be an additional aid where we can read about problems that others faced and how they solved it.

All forum entries are saved on the Proz.com server. So why not make use of this mass of information by making it accessible (which it is) and also findable (which it also is, but only with a certain time effort that could be reduced by structuring in a more detailled way)?

I appreciate your help and opinion very much. So please keep posting (I had actually planned to write to you directly as I saw your many replies and suggestions to SDLX-related problems. But then I thought, why not make it public and let everybody else read and contribute.)

Cheers,
Stefanie
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Not too much CAT troubleshooting on ProZ Jul 7, 2004

sundari wrote:

Cheers,
Stefanie

Hi Stefanie,

I\'m not in favour of too much CAT talk and CAT troubleshooting on ProZ. All relevant CAT tools have their own newsgroups. Topics like \'Wordfast messes up HTML\' or \'Trados can\'t handle external tags\' linger on the ProZ home page all day long and somehow leave us thinking those fine CAT tools stink.

It\'s clear that lots of translators experience problems with their CAT tools. But the answers to most questions - kudos to Ralf and Sylver (when the latter leaves the shade of his coconut tree) - are often too simple or too specific to be of great help to others. (I\'m of course not referring to the export problem you had today.)

Regards,
Gerard

Stefanie Sendelbach
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Gerard Jul 7, 2004

Hi Gerard,

Thanks for your input. You have a point.

It was actually the first time I have experienced CAT problems. And I thought it might be a common one. So I looked through the forums. While doing so, I got confused with all the different topics refering to all kinds of different CAT tools. So I came up with my suggestion because I thought it would make browsing for solutions easier.

But I also noticed that many of the topics are, as you mentioned, very
... See more
Hi Gerard,

Thanks for your input. You have a point.

It was actually the first time I have experienced CAT problems. And I thought it might be a common one. So I looked through the forums. While doing so, I got confused with all the different topics refering to all kinds of different CAT tools. So I came up with my suggestion because I thought it would make browsing for solutions easier.

But I also noticed that many of the topics are, as you mentioned, very specific and probably not helpful to the majority of us here.

Well, let's see what others think.

Have a nice evening,
Stefanie
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 07:04
SITE FOUNDER
I like the idea Jul 7, 2004

In fact, we already have support forums for TRADOS and Fusion. We will add others in the future. Thanks!

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving Trados-related threads Jul 8, 2004

Moin Stefanie,

But would it be possible to move the Trados-related threads into the Trados Support section?

That's happening already - at least with those threads I notice. If you see one that should be moved, let me know.

Best regards, Ralf

Stefanie Sendelbach
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 8, 2004

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Separate forums for separate CAT tools? (Staff: done)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »