Use "Neerlandés" rather than "Holandés" to refer to Dutch
Thread poster: Lorenden07

Lorenden07
Local time: 16:22
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 27, 2012

Hi all,
Just a remark: I get e-mails about translating jobs "Español-Holandés" where they ask for native "Holandés"... Being professionals’ shouldn´t you know that "Holandés" is a dialect spoken in only 2 provinces of the Netherlands? The language is Dutch, Neerlandés! And the country is the Netherlands, Paises Bajos. Not Holland or Holanda!
If people in street terms use the name Holland... I got used to it, because people are ignorant about certain things. But to get job-offers from "professionals" who offer me jobs in "Holandés"...

Kind regards!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2012-06-27 18:09 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:22
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
The French do that, too Jun 27, 2012

Lorenden07 wrote:
Being professionals’ shouldn´t you know that "Holandés" is a dialect spoken in only 2 provinces of the Netherlands? The language is Dutch, Neerlandés! And the country is the Netherlands, Paises Bajos.

The English and the French both use the term Holland when they mean the Netherlands. Professionals shouldn't, of course, but I can't say I'm surprised that they do. Can't see it changing overnight, either. You can educate, but habits largely override in the short term.

Actually, I wasn't aware there was really any difference between the language in North and South Holland and the other provinces. I only lived in Den Haag for a couple of years, and our locally-born teacher told us there were differences in pronunciation, but she didn't say anything else. I know some people cringed at the Haagse pronunciation e.g. the extra syllable in "melk".

How far-reaching are the differences?

Sheila

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:22
Hebrew to English
Non-existent states too Jun 27, 2012

I wouldn't get your knickers in a twist too much. I'm not shocked by this, not when you can live in a currently non-existent state, such as Palestine.

Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
hollandais / néerlandais in French Jun 27, 2012

hi

when naming the country, French people use quite often the term: "Pays-Bas" instead of "Hollande";

speaking of nationality, "néerlandais" is not very commonly used, French people speak more often of Hollandais, which is wrong.....;

Marie

writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Dutch/Néerlandais/Neerlandés is the language Jun 27, 2012

spoken in the Netherlands and Flanders, the Dutch-speaking provinces in Belgium. There, the people are Flemish but the language they speak is Dutch.
I agree that hollandais/hollands (in Dutch) is the variation spoken in 2 Dutch provinces, Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland.
To be correct in English, the language all these people speak is Dutch.
But like the French, we often tend to refer to the country as Holland.
We bad.......

Olly Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
Holland Jun 27, 2012

The Dutch can't get used to it themselves either. All Dutch people, whether they're from from the the remotest North or the deepest South, all shout the same thing when their team is doing well: 'Hol-land!'

Lorenden07
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not exactly as you say... Jun 28, 2012

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

The Dutch can't get used to it themselves either. All Dutch people, whether they're from from the the remotest North or the deepest South, all shout the same thing when their team is doing well: 'Hol-land!'

When I studied in The Netherlands (UT Universiteit Twente, in the province of Overijssel) the natives from that province were indeed offended if I referred to them as being "Hollanders", me being ignorant like all the Spanish about this topic.

Obviously, people from the provinces North or South Holland did not complain!

The vast majority of the people I got to know whilst being there, would not shout "Holland!!" if the country won a football match. Except for native North or South Hollanders of course.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Use "Neerlandés" rather than "Holandés" to refer to Dutch

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search