Option to select "top or only native language" in directory search, jobs, KudoZ, etc
Thread poster: Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:20
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jul 3, 2012

G'day everyone

[I posted this suggestion on page 28 of this thread (currently at 38 pages) but no-one responded to it, so I guess it was drowned out. It was in response to Lisa's post that what we need is a temporary solution to the specific problem that people claim multiple native languages to increase their search ranking.]

One problem with the current system of selecting a translator in searches, jobs posts and KudoZ according to their native language is the that even if outsourcers feel more comfortable with a translator who declares only one native language, there is currently no way to "filter out" translators who declare multiple native languages.

So my suggestion is:

Since clients can currently select whether a language combination is the "top or only" language combination offered, why not do the same for native language? Allow clients to specify next to native language "top or only native language" in directory searches, Kudoz and job posts.

This suggestion can be implemented immediately without redesigning the existing native language system in ProZ.com or waiting for the verification system to be completed.

I include "top" in my suggestion to be slightly fairer to those who genuinely have multiple native languages.

Remember, when translators fill in their profiles for the first time, they are not made aware of the possibility of multiple native languages, so the first native language that a translator declares is often his "main" or real native language. Only later when he discovers that other translators have multiple native languages does he consider adding his second language as another "native language", and by that time his first declared native language is already the "top" one.

Remember also that currently one can only add a second native language (or change it) by submitting a support ticket. Translators can't just change it any time they want to. And you can be sure that Staff wil be a lot stricter with requests for native language order switching when this suggestion is ever implemented.

This is why I believe "top or only native language" (instead of just "only native language") is unlikely to susceptible to a lot of abuse.

Perhaps Staff can confirm whether they have in fact added second language languages always after the first native language. If not, then the suggestion would be to simply let clients choose between "Any, "One native language" and "More than one language language".

Your thoughts?

Samuel

Direct link Reply with quote

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not worth the bother Jul 3, 2012

I just take everyone's claims with a large of salt nowadays and gave up worrying about it. IMO, only a small percentage of people using the site to promote themselves site are truthful, or as competent as they make out.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Neil Jul 3, 2012

neilmac wrote:
I just take everyone's claims with a large of salt nowadays and gave up worrying about it. IMO, only a small percentage of people using the site to promote themselves site are truthful, or as competent as they make out.

Wouldn't it be great, therefore, if one could implement something simple that would help raise the visibility of those who are most likely to be truthful?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Option to select "top or only native language" in directory search, jobs, KudoZ, etc

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search