https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/23197-kudoz_edit_questions_button%3A_add_option_to_edit_offensive_field.html

KudoZ 'Edit questions' button: add option to edit 'offensive' field
Thread poster: Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:32
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Jul 23, 2004

At least in 'my' SC most of the questions labelled 'offensive' are not offensive* at all. More often than not, this choice doesn´t appear to be on purpose. Adding the option to edit this flag using the 'edit function' button would benefit the asker, making the term visible in the KudoZ listing.

* unless you consider lack of context offensive, I might add.

[Edited at 2004-07-23 09:02]

Richard Benham
Richard Benham  Identity Verified
France
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
No offence, but.... Jul 23, 2004

One problem with the "may be offensive" warning is that the asker may have no idea what the term means, and therefore whether it could be "offensive" or not. So maybe these people are just being cautious.

In any case--I've said this before, and no doubt I'll get censored (if not censured) again--but we are supposed to be professionals, and being offended by "offensive" language is about as professional as if a surgeon refused to treat a patient with a disgusting disease or an actor
... See more
One problem with the "may be offensive" warning is that the asker may have no idea what the term means, and therefore whether it could be "offensive" or not. So maybe these people are just being cautious.

In any case--I've said this before, and no doubt I'll get censored (if not censured) again--but we are supposed to be professionals, and being offended by "offensive" language is about as professional as if a surgeon refused to treat a patient with a disgusting disease or an actor refused to play an unsympathetic character.

The best editing that could be done to the "offensive" field would be to delete it. I, for one, find it offensive.
Collapse

Antonella Andreella (X)
Antonella Andreella (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Brilliant! Jul 23, 2004

Richard Benham wrote:

In any case--I've said this before, and no doubt I'll get censored (if not censured) again--but we are supposed to be professionals, and being offended by "offensive" language is about as professional as if a surgeon refused to treat a patient with a disgusting disease or an actor refused to play an unsympathetic character.

The best editing that could be done to the "offensive" field would be to delete it. I, for one, find it offensive.

Antonella

Klaus Herrmann
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
offens-sichtlich? Jul 23, 2004

Richard Benham wrote:

That'll be another minority.

While I'm not easily offended, and basically agree with your position, I imagine that some of us work out off their homes and may or may not have kids. The 'offensive' tag helps the kids to figure out which are the interesting questions

Anyhow, I prefer to have an 'offensive' label to seeing valid questions being squashed. This solution doesn't keep me from answering any questions I want, so that's fair enough.

[Edited at 2004-07-23 13:43]

Richard Benham
Richard Benham  Identity Verified
France
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Good points! Jul 23, 2004

[quote]Klaus Herrmann wrote:

While I'm not easily offended, and basically agree with your position, I imagine that some of us work out off their homes and may or may not have kids. The 'offensive' tag helps the kids to figure out which are the interesting questions

Anyhow, I prefer to have an 'offensive' label to seeing valid questions being squashed. This solution doesn't keep me from answering any questions I want, so that's fair enough.

OK Klaus, fair points!

Sol
Sol  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
seeing EVERYTHING in the list Jul 23, 2004

Klaus Herrmann wrote:
Adding the option to edit this flag using the 'edit function' button would benefit the asker, making the term visible in the KudoZ listing.

I have my list set up so the whole context shows in the list. You don't need to "click here" when you have it set up this way to see the alledgely offensive question. Try it, I have found this to be a much more efficient way of viewing the questions' list.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 05:32
SITE FOUNDER
OK - option to remove 'may offend' added Jul 23, 2004

OK, I have added the option to remove the "may offend" mark, for those with at least 50 KudoZ points (this is the same threshold used for editing level, fields, etc., and the purpose is to decrease the chance of someone unfamiliar with KudoZ making changes.)

Klaus Herrmann
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Jul 24, 2004

Wow. That was quick. Thank you.

mariocesar
mariocesar
Portugal
Local time: 10:32
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Accessing my own Resume Aug 11, 2004

I'm new here. My name is Mário Abreu and I'm not yet a Platinum member. I'm from near Lisbon, Portugal and am a freelance translator for several languages and work also for European Union bodies.
My question is: how can I access my Resume without going to the SEETINGS page? I don't wish to edit anything in that Resume. I only wish to read it after having put it on the site. I saw it was accepted and saw a message telling me it was inserted. However, I don't wish to go to SETTINGS and clic
... See more
I'm new here. My name is Mário Abreu and I'm not yet a Platinum member. I'm from near Lisbon, Portugal and am a freelance translator for several languages and work also for European Union bodies.
My question is: how can I access my Resume without going to the SEETINGS page? I don't wish to edit anything in that Resume. I only wish to read it after having put it on the site. I saw it was accepted and saw a message telling me it was inserted. However, I don't wish to go to SETTINGS and click over Browse, because, besides not wishing to modify anything, when I do that I see all the documents (private and work documents I have there in WORD). Can other people also see those documents if they click over Browse?
Summary: I can I see may own Resume? Thanks a lot.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Mario Aug 11, 2004

It would be better to post this question in a new thread (and not in the ProZ.com suggestions forum, but rather in ProZ.com Technical Support).

I think, something was done wrong, as there is no link to your resume in your profile. Try do delete it and upload it once more. In case you would fail to do it, please post a support request (right button in the upper menu).

[Edited at 2004-08-11 23:55]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ 'Edit questions' button: add option to edit 'offensive' field

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »