Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Include asker's name in overview page?
Thread poster: Cilian O'Tuama

Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:16
German to English
+ ...
Sep 6, 2004

Would it be possible to include the asker's name in the overview page, i.e the page where you can see 50 questions. Just put it in another column, e.g. after the time, language combination and term, and before the number of answers.

There might be some 'names' that we'd be more willing to help than others (I didn't put that very diplomatically now, did I? - sorry), and it would save time.

Ciao,

Direct link Reply with quote

Javier Herrera
Spanish
Could be worse Sep 6, 2004

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

There might be some 'names' that we'd be more willing to help than others (I didn't put that very diplomatically now, did I? - sorry), and it would save time.

It would have been less diplomatical to say there are some 'names' we'd be LESS willing to help than others.
I'm only joking. Yes, I agree. I understand kudoz questions as mini-forums. Most times you see the name of the person who started it and sometimes I've missed that in kudoz.
Javier

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tayfun Sep 6, 2004

Sorry Tayfun, but you're addressing a different matter altogether.

Before opening a question, I would just like to know who asked it. Like receiving a mail - if you can see who it's from, you might be eager to see it immediately or you might choose to read it later (or not at all). The way it is now, you have to open it first only to see it's a question from someone who hasn't a clue, isn't really in need, someone who is notorious for not providing context...(endless possibilities). With this feature we could save time in selectively helping whoever we want, for whatever reason.

See the difference?

Ciao

[Edited at 2004-09-06 21:30]

[Edited at 2004-09-06 21:36]

Javier Herrera
Spanish
... Sep 6, 2004

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

Even I would prefer answerers to be hiden at the stage of proposing answers to make all peergrading and grading objective. Then after evaluation and grading all names are made visible. Just akine to Envelope system in bidding.

When posting questions, I've sometimes found very helpful to look at answerers profiles and learn that some people have a degree in the field of expertise concerned and twenty-odd years experience; are native speakers of the target language and live in the country of the target audience.

Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Detailed display Sep 6, 2004

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:
Before opening a question, I would just like to know who asked it.

Been there, asked just that for the same reasons

In the http://www.proz.com/kudoz page, select Display: Detailed (instead of Coincise) and you'll see the name of the asker as well.

Hope this help

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Detailed/concise Sep 6, 2004

Muja wrote:
In the http://www.proz.com/kudoz page, select Display: Detailed (instead of Coincise) and you'll see the name of the asker as well.

Thanks Muja, at least someone understands me.

But it'd be useful on the 50-question page too.

Ciao,

[Edited at 2004-09-06 22:40]

Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
50-question page Sep 6, 2004

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:
at least someone understands me.

But it'd be useful on the 50-question page too.

Only partially, 'mfraid... I thought the "50-question page" was the one in the link I mentioned...

Now I'm curious - What page do you refer to?

Slán

[Edited at 2004-09-06 23:12]

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Muja Sep 6, 2004

Now I'm curious - What page do you refer to?

OK, you win

But that's a very unwieldy mode to 'work' in. And there's enough room in the other (the concise) 50-question page to add askers' names as the terms field is too long anyway.

Slán,

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
I don´t think that makes any big difference Sep 7, 2004

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

Would it be possible to include the asker's name in the overview page, i.e the page where you can see 50 questions. Just put it in another column, e.g. after the time, language combination and term, and before the number of answers.

Ciao,
Hi! I think if one can answer a question, one would do it, regardless of who is putting the question. Factually, the asker´s information would not boost personal performance, to the effect that people would find the answer, becuase a particular asker is asking. If that system continues, I think there would be a set of known askers and another set of known answerers. I don´t understand this logic.
cheers
brandis

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Huh? Sep 7, 2004

Brandis wrote:
Hi! I think if one can answer a question, one would do it, regardless of who is putting the question. Factually, the asker´s information would not boost personal performance, to the effect that people would find the answer, becuase a particular asker is asking. If that system continues, I think there would be a set of known askers and another set of known answerers. I don´t understand this logic.
brandis

Are you sure it was this topic you wanted to reply to? Your comment is not relevant to my posting. I don't even understand what you're trying to say (but there's no need to explain). What variety of native English is that, by the way?

Nazim Aziz Gokdemir  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:16
English to Turkish
+ ...
Translation Sep 7, 2004

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

Brandis wrote:
brandis

Are you sure it was this topic you wanted to reply to? Your comment is not relevant to my posting. I don't even understand what you're trying to say (but there's no need to explain). What variety of native English is that, by the way?

Cilian,

Obviously you've never encountered a Bush Jr. transcript...

Translation:

I think if one is capable of answering a question, s/he should do so regardless of who's asking. Background info about the asker, such as name, shoe size, fetishes, etc. has no bearing on whether or how diligently a fellow Prozian rushes to provide an answer. Or at least, that's how I'd like to think this process works. Taking your proposal to its logical conclusion, I can predict that our beloved Kudoz would devolve to a point where only a select group of askers would be deemed spongewo-... I mean assistance-worthy, and naturally there would be a tremendous drop in the number of people providing answers as well. I don't see why you think the system needs to be modified to the detriment of all concerned. My intention was not to confuse, nor was it to annoy -- I seek merely to provide a counterpoint. I humbly remain,

Two sugary vodka drinks, misunderstood.

Aziz, who has to edit this "variety of English" all the time.

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Aziz Sep 7, 2004

I'm only asking for information which is available anyway to be displayed elsewhere too (on the cover, so to speak). I don't see how that could influence anyone's answering behaviour or adversely affect ProZ.

English to Turkish
+ ...
It's worth a shot, actually Sep 8, 2004

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

I'm only asking for information which is available anyway to be displayed elsewhere too (on the cover, so to speak). I don't see how that could influence anyone's answering behaviour or adversely affect ProZ.

Hey, I didn't say it was a bad idea. I'm just the messenger having a bit of fun; I think the proposal is highly spongeworthy, in fact. (All right, no more Seinfeld references.)

Of course, it would influence at least one person's answering (or nonanswering) behavior -- yours. But I don't think overall it would adversely affect ProZ.

Make that two people. I would no longer click on questions from anonymous guests with on-the-fly handles, for instance.

(And I do agree that the detailed view is too cumbersome; adding the asker's ID to the concise view would be an improvement for people who want to be selective in their clicking AND prefer the concise view.)

Aziz

[Edited at 2004-09-08 00:36]

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
there is a solution for this Sep 8, 2004

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

Brandis wrote:
brandis

Hi! One could actually take a series of screen shots, save to local disk to sort by name. Just recording the legend of an asker.
Geeks
Brandis

English to Turkish
+ ...
What a coincidence... Sep 8, 2004

"How do I hide my name in posting a KudoZ question?"

http://www.proz.com/topic/24540

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Include asker's name in overview page?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search