https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/245650-%22food_and_dairy%22_suggestions_for_changing_kudoz_fields.html

"Food and Dairy" - Suggestions for changing KudoZ fields
Thread poster: philgoddard
philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Mar 21, 2013

I wanted to suggest a couple of changes to category titles, because I've seen a few instances of people miscategorising questions.

I think Food and Dairy should be renamed Food and Drink. It doesn't make sense at the moment, because dairy products are either foods (such as butter) or drinks (such as milk). The question that made me think about this was about beer - the asker couldn't find a category to fit it, and placed it under Wine.

Also, there's no Horticulture cate
... See more
I wanted to suggest a couple of changes to category titles, because I've seen a few instances of people miscategorising questions.

I think Food and Dairy should be renamed Food and Drink. It doesn't make sense at the moment, because dairy products are either foods (such as butter) or drinks (such as milk). The question that made me think about this was about beer - the asker couldn't find a category to fit it, and placed it under Wine.

Also, there's no Horticulture category. I've seen a few questions on things like gardening wrongly categorised under subjects such as Botany because of this.

Does anyone else have suggestions for category changes?
Collapse

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Seconded Mar 21, 2013

Phil's suggestion make eminent logical sense. I don't have any further suggestions offhand, but it seems that there is a lot of room for improvement in this area. One indication that this seems to be the case is that I notice that a large proportion of the Kudoz points that I've earned have been classified as "Other."

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 07:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree Mar 22, 2013

I reckon that the powers-that-be could afford a little time and effort to smarten up the categories; it's often hard to decide on where to place your queries and I sometimes feel like categorising all of mine as "Other" just to save time.

[Edited at 2013-03-22 08:25 GMT]

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Get rid of 'Other' Mar 22, 2013

While fine-tuning the specific fields, it would also be advisable to get rid of the 'Other' category altogether: there should always be an appropriate field irrespective of the question context.

David Hayes
David Hayes  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Re 'food' Mar 22, 2013

Questions relating to food currently appear to only have the general labels 'food' or else 'gastronomy' to place them. I have often wished there was a specific category to place questions relating to food processing/ catering industry.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't quite agree Mar 22, 2013

Steffen Walter wrote:

While fine-tuning the specific fields, it would also be advisable to get rid of the 'Other' category altogether: there should always be an appropriate field irrespective of the question context.

As I mentioned above, sometimes I find the only option for my queries appears to be "Other". I think we definitely need a box where we can enter "fuzzy" queries that appear to be neither flesh nor fowl.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Mar 22, 2013

I don't agree that Other should be got rid of: I think it's a very useful category. And I also don't agree that the categories need smartening up: they're pretty effective at covering most of the things we translate.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Why not have an option for Askers to fill in the category Mar 22, 2013

if a suitable one is not already on the list?
Agree with Neilmac. Imo, other is often used out of desperation, to avoid using a misleading/unsuitable category.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 02:29
SITE STAFF
Makes sense Mar 22, 2013

"Food and drink" makes sense. I'll see that it gets changed.

Jared

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:29
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Fill in the blank Mar 22, 2013

writeaway wrote:

Why not have an option for Askers to fill in the category

if a suitable one is not already on the list?

I second this suggestion. It would be very useful and could replace the 'Other' category.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Jared Mar 22, 2013

Do you agree that there should also be a Horticulture category?

I don't think people should be able to fill in their own categories. It would just create a mess. It's better to make people fit in with the existing ones, which include Other.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
What sort of 'mess'? A bigger one than the one we already have? Mar 22, 2013

philgoddard wrote:

I don't think people should be able to fill in their own categories. It would just create a mess. It's better to make people fit in with the existing ones, which include Other.

If a category is missing and knowing it would help with glossary searches and with understanding the question, what's wrong with someone filling in "name of a profession" etc, if that's what they are asking? Imo it would be very beneficial to be able to post the specific category if it isn't already present on the list. It's certainly better than being forced to post the completely meaningless 'other'.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
On creating new categories Mar 22, 2013

Hi Phil.

philgoddard wrote:

Do you agree that there should also be a Horticulture category?

I don't know yet. Altering categories and especially creating a new category needs to be done with great care, since it impacts in several other instances, such as profiles, jobs, and directories, for example. I would need to have a detailed look at things to answer, but I will have a look.

With regards to the "Other" category, should a good percentage of questions fall into a specific category which is not already represented, that may indicate a new category would be possible. But again, this will require some study.

Jared

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
"Food and dairy" now "Food and drink" Mar 22, 2013

The "Food and dairy" category has been changed to "Food and drink". You may not see the change right away, as it will take some time (possibly up to a day) to update across the site.

Jared

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:29
French to English
+ ...
Horticulture Mar 23, 2013

I agree that there should be a horticulture category. I'm a very keen gardener, allotmenteer and plant fanatic, but what I know about the science of botany itself can be written on a postage stamp....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Food and Dairy" - Suggestions for changing KudoZ fields

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »